Where do I go from here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping train as a tree surgeon along with a friend of mine. Is there any good advice out there that can get us started.
Mick (UK).

Find a certified arborist in your neighborhood, Start from the ground up. Being a groundman is hard work, but it will pay off. some of the Brits here can give you pointers on licensing on your side of the pond I'm sure.

How green are you?

sounds like a good decision, can't go wrong, Trees are everywhere. My advice to you is to start exactly where you started to think about starting. Was it a Tree that caught your attention, or a job that needed doing and you somehow pulled it off, or someone you know is involved?
Try starting back at point A then move to B, unless this is B. In which case you only know. But yes there are plenty of Tree people here that seems to be the reality of this website.
Good luck in your new endeavour!:)

Alright Mick. I'd have a scout about for colleges in your area that offer arb courses. Getting your tickets isn't too hard but you really need to learn all you can about trees. Try and scope out some good tree co's around your neck of the woods, pick their brains, you'll more than likely hook up with some decent climbers, pick their brains too. Enthusiasm is contagious...

I missed this one till now...

Like the others said, check the internet for Colleges and training providers in your area for arboriculture courses.
Get started working for someone as a trainee, make sure they are legit, certificated through NPTC/City &Guilds.

You will find several options:

Independant training providers that will offer short courses from three days to a week in the basics leading to NPTC/C&G certificates of competence. Try for one that offers Lantra registered courses if possible.

Some colleges also do these type of short courses and Merrist Wood near Guildford in particular does a ten week course that covers all the basic (and some advanced) principles of arboricultural theory and practical and you come away with all the NPTC/C&G tickets you need to get started and an Open College Network certificate. From this point they have a chap in who helps place people in jobs where you start as a novice groundie/climber continue your learning and then go from there! Or if you already had a job, back to work...

There are continuing options part time after this level, AA Cert Arb. for one.

There are also the longer more formal options - NCH, ND arb, one to two years full time, if you are young enough or have the time, a good route to follow.

Colleges that have a good arb rep Meyerscough, Merrist Wood, Capel Manor, Sparsholt. Any more...?

Good luck, have fun

All the colleges Bermie listed are very good, get in contact with them to discuss what study options are available, there is only one Certified Arborist listed in Derbyshire you might consider touching base with him? You'll find his details here http://www.isa-uki.org/pages/England.htm
Also try the LANTRA website its designed to answer many of your questions
http://www.lantra.co.uk/TreesTimber/careers.asp

Good luck and expect there to be some hurdles along the way.:rock:

Back