Where do yall see vintage saw prices at in 20 years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every new hobby I get into the cost was cheap at first then it soars. I’m restoring post vintage Husqvarna dirtbikes off and on. The cost on these have soared from $750 to $5,000 depending on condition. I figure about $2500 to $3500 + more.
Look at the non running saws, some aren’t complete and there $300. With the markup after repairing it with a new piston kit who’s going to purchase it? Some saws that run will be listed for $100 over cost? I’m thinking about making each one run and put them on a shelf to be sold later.

My experience with the vintage and post vintage bikes is the new and used parts will run out first. Locating parts was fun. I loved the hunt.

I got into collecting the older saws from the 70’s because I used them to cut firewood.
I couldn’t afford to buy them as they were offered. I think the earlier all metal professional models life before the XP pro saws will be sought after by collectors and users too. I don’t see these high tech high dollar saws lasting.

I’m retired sitting home killing time. I just can’t sit idle.
Twenty years ago, I gave a 1971 Husky 400 bike, with the 8 speed tranny, in beautiful condition, with very low mileage, to my brother in law, because everyone was interested in the Japanese bikes, and you couldn't give a European bike away. It was all because the Japanese bikes were the shiny new object, and had nothing to do with the quality of the European bikes. Now, the same bike, is worth big bucks, if you can find one.
My Husky 2100 powerheads, used to sell for around $225, and lately I saw these saws being sold for over $700. I know they are great saws, but there are lots of good new saws around, that do the same job, have newer parts, and aren't that expensive.

I think most of the 50-70cc ones might go down in value a good deal. When I started with saws 10 yrs ago 041's would sell overnight at $150. There's one on my local fb for $50 for a couple weeks now

I think they will dramatically drop as more Clones are produced of classic Stihl and Husqvarnas are copied.
Old American magnesium saws might stay high for a little bit longer, but as most are unobtainable for a hobbyist they'll just get clones.

Unfortunately, as younger folks move into the field, with no knowledge of the past, prices of some will probably drop. How many young guys have never even heard of Homelite. But, there is vintage, and there is VINTAGE. I’m betting the KMS4 I just picked up will hold its own. I have a line on an Echo 610 Twin and if that comes through, I’ll be a happy camper. Then I’ll be on the lookout for a Solo Twin.

I’m probably the youngest guy on here at 22 and I think the prices will go down. Everyone I talk to my age has no interest in anything mechanical/trade work. Everyone just throws their equipment out the moment it doesn’t start. No interest equals no market

Whats rare now will be very rare or unobtanium in 20 years, whats collectable now will be rare in 20 years, whats older now will be collectable in 20 years, whats new now will be old in 20 years. If anything the gross amount of aftermarket parts from asia will keep many saws alive that otherwise would have been trashed. With gas powered saws being banned in some states it should put a premium price on saws that predate the law grandfathering them in. In my experience selling saws its folks 40 and under buying them to use and often its younger folks buying the clamshells I've rebuilt to use for expanding into tree work from lawn care. As far as collectors go theres never been a large number of them. Saws from the late 80's up to electronic carbs and even some of the electronic carb saws will grow in value because with only a manual, a handful of tools and some time they can be rebuilt and kept running. Until the software becomes public and tuning programs are available dealers have a monopoly.

I see them as having little or no value in 20 years because I believe it will be alot sooner than 20 years before North America is taken over by another country or countries.This is only my two cents and I am not Orson Wells so remain calm I hope I am dead and never see it.Ive had a good run.
Kash

Well this thread has taken a Dark turn?
Anyway, I find intake manifolds for my mopars at scrap prices these days and old men keep on dying and the people left behind scrap out their horde cheap and fast. 20 years ago I was paying more for used mopar stuff! Then new. Now its a fact I walk through a scrap yard finding 3rd members and manifolds at the same prices as Subaru parts.
Little to no interest in building carburetor vehicles among the younger generation now and maybe I won't find a 426 hemi but if I do it'll be cheap.

Most young and middle age Americans don't know how to drive a stick shift, much less what a choke know does or what it would be for. When the car doesn't work, trade it for scrap or on a new one. That is the world we live in. Rebuilding is green, disposable isn't, but it doesn't make the kind of green the car companies want, so planned obsolescence is the game. And those auto executives have the politicians in their back pockets I spite of their environmental stance. How come electric cars haven't had standard battery sizes and voltages mandated? It would keep costs down and batteries available for cars like the Chevy Spark. Throwing a perfectly good car away because no battery is made that fits an 8 or 10 year old car ain't too green I'm thinking. The industrial revolution standardized parts, seems we've gone backwards from that lesson.

Back