Where do you get that stuff?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDChainsaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to run some new lines on my bucket truck. I would like to mark the hoses with tags secured under clear heat shrink. Problem is all i can find is colored (not transparent)heat shrink. Any ideas or supplier leads would be appreciated.

I've only seen 3/8" clear (imperal suppy) there may be bigger but I also could find. So I put 6" zip ties on the ends. there Several differant colors out there to chose from. And there cheap

I've only seen 3/8" clear (imperal suppy) there may be bigger but I also could find. So I put 6" zip ties on the ends. there Several differant colors out there to chose from. And there cheap

I use the same trick. it workes fore me

you get it from industrial electrical wholesalers - the kind that deal with high voltage on a day to day basis. Cable identification is a serious business, and it costs plenty too. There are lots of special labels available, have a look see. Some strap on, some use 'cold shrink'. Cold shrink is a heavy duty version of heat shrink... it's a lot thicker (like, can be used as a handle on a hammer for example). The way it works is that it has a hard plastic spiral in the core, and an outer flexible sheath... maybe latex? You slip it over what you need to cover, then pull out the core... the outside shrinks down to its pre-stretched size. Heavy duty, but not cheap. Its transparent.

Other options are the little labelmakers that you can buy in stationary stores. Once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. They sure are cheap, and lots of tape options available - waterproof, hi vis yellow, metalic, paper etc... print out custom labels quick smart. You can tape over them with some clear tape, will last for a long time. I've used mine to label all the drawers on my toolboxes, shelves, all the toolboxes on my truck for what goes where etc. Makes it easy on new ground staff too because everything is clearly identified.

Shaun

hmmmm how come you know cold shrink or HV cable jointing

I know a lot of things ;-)

For a few years I was living and working 1000kms west of you. It's all nasty nasty high voltage stuff out there... and high current DC stuff too. One of the electro winning plants was 300VDC 100,000A. The copper bus bars were bigger than railway sleepers.

Shaun

My history had my "he knows more than he should sense" go full scale as you have never indicated that sort of background.
one of my many jobs
I was the electrical maintenance foreman at the copper refinery in Townsville

Back