Where do you get your "green wheels" for sharpening carbide grinder teeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinpa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was hoping a few folks that sharpen their own grinder teeth could chime in here. Being new to the business I am behind on all fronts of the learning curve.

I am looking for 6" or 8" wheels for a bench grinder and am coming up with about 40.00 - 45.00 per wheel pricing! WOW, I was not expecting them to be soo expensive.

I am hoping someone has a "not so easily found" source they can share with me/us.

Not any use to you, but for the other australian guys out there I get mine from Blackwoods. I use the Norton silicone carbide wheels in 60 grit. My grinder is a 6" and from memory I pay around $20/wheel. They ship or you can pickup. It's very hard to find these wheels in australia.

Shaun

Not any use to you, but for the other australian guys out there I get mine from Blackwoods. I use the Norton silicone carbide wheels in 60 grit. My grinder is a 6" and from memory I pay around $20/wheel. They ship or you can pickup. It's very hard to find these wheels in australia.

Shaun

Dont breath that dust in either!

What for grinder teeth are you sharpening. I use a 3m diamond grinder wheel for my greenteeth. I have sharpened 225 teeth on one wheel so far. I ordered some more direct from 3m for $127 each.

What for grinder teeth are you sharpening. I use a 3m diamond grinder wheel for my greenteeth. I have sharpened 225 teeth on one wheel so far. I ordered some more direct from 3m for $127 each.

I bought a Rayco 1635 Trac Jr, and am using the Rayco Super Tooth. I was contenplating going to Green Teeth, but yeaterday I heard they changed their supplier and the new vendor's product (carbide cutting surface) is not holding up as well.

I bought a Rayco 1635 Trac Jr, and am using the Rayco Super Tooth. I was contenplating going to Green Teeth, but yeaterday I heard they changed their supplier and the new vendor's product (carbide cutting surface) is not holding up as well.

I havent heard that. When did they change?

I sent a email off to green manufacturing after reading your post.

Here is my email
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Carbide Supplier

Someone told me that you have switched to a different carbide supplier and the new carbide isnt holding up as well. Is this true?

Thanks,

Jared

There response.

We have used two suppliers since we started, but we have recently moved towards only buying from one supplier, because they have been able to supply virgin carbide for us, which is actually a huge upgrade from the old carbide. So we didn’t really switch suppliers, but we did upgrade the quality of carbide.

Nick Moore
Green Manufacturing, Inc.
Toll Free: 800-473-3683 ext.106

Greenteeth.com

Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/greenteeth

I sent a email off to green manufacturing after reading your post.

Here is my email
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Carbide Supplier

Someone told me that you have switched to a different carbide supplier and the new carbide isnt holding up as well. Is this true?

Thanks,

Jared

There response.

We have used two suppliers since we started, but we have recently moved towards only buying from one supplier, because they have been able to supply virgin carbide for us, which is actually a huge upgrade from the old carbide. So we didn’t really switch suppliers, but we did upgrade the quality of carbide.

Nick Moore
Green Manufacturing, Inc.
Toll Free: 800-473-3683 ext.106

Greenteeth.com

Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/greenteeth

I believe that means the tips are coming from China now. I am not sure but this is my opinion given my source.

I would go the diamond wheel route. I bought a 6"x1/2" with a 1/4" sintered diamond thickness for just shy of $200 after S/H. I think I have about a 100 yellow jackest ground and the wheel shows no sign of wear at all. When I was using green wheels I would get about 120 teeth per 8" wheel and I am expecting to get many times that with a diamond wheel.
The company is Eagle Super Abrasives I run out to the shop later and get an ph#.

Back