Where does American Elm belong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burned it one year when I lived in Illinois lots of it down there. The only draw back was it stunk so bad we couldn't keep it in the house until we burned it.

Must have been P*** elm. I usually try to get into red elm. It doesn't split any easier but it does burn a little better.:clap:

I made an extension for the ram of my splitter to allow an overlap of the wedge "for elm". The wedge fits into the gap about 3/8"

Don.

Been looking at the title of this thread for a few days now and I want to change my answer."Where does American Elm belong?" My new response is..... In my woodburner I feel better now. Thanks :cheers:

I burn quite a bit and like it for firewood----splitting takes about 3 or 4 times as long as something like ash

Elem is my favorite wood to burn and makes up nearly 100 % of my 6 cord burnt each season. It will burn with a ferocious intensity. There are not many independent thinkers around these parts and if one guy says them trees aint no good to burn then they all think that way. So they are all over the place standing dead with no bark on them and easy to access and ready to burn.
Yo jonny2bad your the first one I've read that gives Elm it's due respect.It definitely burns with a ferocious intensity when it's seasoned and dry.I'll be on some dead standing Elm like white on rice.I've gotten my best heat and longest burns from Elm.I become my strongest from splitting this wood and use 3 wedges.One wedge will not do and if it's wet it'll suck up wedges like nobodys business.

I'm working my way through a bunch of american and red elm. Not that much fun but it makes the others seem easy.

Latest posts

Back