Where is everybody geting their pex crimps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urhstry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm ready to start my OWB project but I don't have sharkbites or the pex crimps with the tool. I think some of you rented them. Where can you find these to rent? Anybody in PA want to rent me theirs?:confused:

:agree2: I used these and have had no problems, and you don't even need a special tool to use them!

:agree2: I used these and have had no problems, and you don't even need a special tool to use them!

Yes, they're great because of their ease-of-use, no special tools needed, and they're FAST!

However, they're individually expensive and, if you're doing a larger project, it may be more economical to go one of the other routes. Each individual will have to balance it out for themselves to see what works best.

Steve

I use a crimp tool I got at Menards for about $35. It's a close quarters type that you tighten up with a socket wrench. Takes a little more time but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and it will crimp four different sizes with the same tool. Beats the heck out of paying over a hundred bucks for each size with a conventional crimp tool, especially if you will only use it on one or two projects.:clap:

pex crimp tool

where are you in pa I rented one from the place where I got the heat exchanger an other supplies very well stocked with the supplies you might need to do the install they gave be the best prices I could find . C C Allias is there name but can get the crimp rings and other pex fittings at Eastern penn supplybut i do not think rent the tool. A 1 " pex crimp tool if you buy will set you back about $100 and one to to the smallet stuff ie 3/8,1/2, 5/8,3/4 1s like $150

I bought a crimper off ebay (does 1/2" up to 1" so I'll use it again) and crimps from the same place. Sharkbites would have cost a ton for my install in the house and shop, I'm almost through a 25 pack of 1" rings and I'm not even hooked up yet. I'd loan you out my crimper but it's busy and will be for awhile, shop is close to ready, hardly touched the house yet. :(

Shark Bites are great for small retrofit jobs. If I had a big, outdoor job, likely I would find a PEX crimper.

Shark Bites are great for small retrofit jobs. If I had a big, outdoor job, likely I would find a PEX crimper.

My thoughts exactly and why I bought the crimper...if I'm in my crawl space and need to solder on a copper-pex fitting...no thanks, nowdays I'm reaching for a sharkbite..but with an owb install...that's alot of sharkbites in my book.

I purchase the Pexcaliber tool and crimps off ebay. Pretty reasonable prices on them.

I may never sweat copper pipes again now this I've "discovered" PEX.

Steve

With copper coming back down now,I think Id use it until someone makes a mouse proof pex tubing. Mice can eat right thru it over time,I have heard storys about it already,from the local building dept.The only pex in my house is the owb lines I ran. I admit pex is easy to lay out,and few connectors,bends very easily unlike copper.

Another vote here for the Shark bites. I used them everywhere. They're expensive but very easy to use. They come in many configurations.

Got em at Home Depot also.

With copper coming back down now,I think Id use it until someone makes a mouse proof pex tubing. Mice can eat right thru it over time,I have heard storys about it already,from the local building dept.The only pex in my house is the owb lines I ran. I admit pex is easy to lay out,and few connectors,bends very easily unlike copper.

I agree, copper is the best way to go. The price here is around $11 for 3/4 and $17 for 1''. I did my whole job with copper except the OWB lines which I ran Dual Pex-Flex. It still was expensive with all the copper fittings but I know that it will last a lifetime and not worrying about any blowouts or mice.

Back