Wheres all the old Schoolers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trees Company

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This buisness is gone the way of the pulley. All this talk of pullies and cranes? I really don't know what to say. Is this the only way some guys can take a tree down. Cranes, I'd be embarassed to bring a crane to a job.

I was reading some climbers ideas for boots and I'm thinking what the hell? You cant climb every day in low cut anything. I come from knowing almost every great tree man in Toronto. Guys that take down carolina popluers 5 feet in diameter and 80 feet tall in a 30x50 foot back yard starting at 9 am and there home with a check in there pocket by 6:30 pm the same day. I've done it countless times with my father over the years. With us and two other guys, some times one. Like really, is this the pulley way now or what?

True tree man, not poluted with your can't break a twig can't dare stick a spur in bull???? while I'm getting 20 trees saved and claened up while your trying foot lock one tree.

Your speaking from ignorance and ego. I'm not trying to rip on you.

Sometimes old natural crotch rigging is better, most of the time it is not.

If you can bring a crane on the job and have it to a stump in less time, for the same money why not do it?

What is there to be embarassed about doingg things differently then those who have doen it before? Espcially if it makes it easier on your body.

As for low cut climbing shoes, I could not do it, but I know guys who do. On a big trim why not where a lighter shoe? Your not in gaffs for that work (or should not be).

Pullies and friction breaks take a lot of the guesswork out of the rigging. You can tell the ground guy to take 2 wraps on the capstan and it is done. no waiting for the guy to wind it around a tree then off again when it needs to be lowered.

Scoff once youve tried a method enough to have ruled out its aplicability to the way you work.

Some of these thing may help you climb longer then without them.

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Troll...???

No Tom, TROLL!!!!!

TC how do you block down a trunk that grows though a deck without a pulley and a false crotch?

Why is everyone wrong, and you are the only one right?

Nine and a half hours is a long time for a pine removal with that sized LZ. With a 30x50 yard, it could be easily done in 2 hours.

I recently did a 90' pine with a 15x15 LZ in 2 hours 30 min.

Yesterday I did a 80 foot gum tree, with pulleys in a LZ of 30x15 (or so). Took 3 hours. Dropping limbs that were the full size of the LZ with absolute control (had to have it, one side had high voltage lines, another had 3 service drops, another side was a house, and the other side was a fence.)

TC how do you block down a trunk that grows though a deck without a pulley and a false crotch?

Are you for real?

No Tom, TROLL!!!!!

Why is everyone wrong, and you are the only one right?

Nine and a half hours is a long time for a pine removal with that sized LZ. With a 30x50 yard, it could be easily done in 2 hours.

I recently did a 90' pine with a 15x15 LZ in 2 hours 30 min.

Yesterday I did a 80 foot gum tree, with pulleys in a LZ of 30x15 (or so). Took 3 hours. Dropping limbs that were the full size of the LZ with absolute control (had to have it, one side had high voltage lines, another had 3 service drops, another side was a house, and the other side was a fence.)

Sounds like the same as me with no pullies

This is a discussion group, he is asking a question.

Tone down your rehtoric and others will not jump on you so much

True tree man, not poluted with your can't break a twig can't dare stick a spur in bull???? while I'm getting 20 trees saved and claened up while your trying foot lock one tree.

Do you understand how decay operates in trees?

Explain to me how spiking saves a tree?

Originally posted by Trees Company

Are you for real?

Yes I am.

Here is the senerio (spelling?). 90 foot (3'6" DBH) pine growing through a deck. The canopy starts at 60 foot, and runs the rest of the way up with no structural defects. There is no LZ as it is through a large deck. The deck backs up to a large million dollar home.

After you get the canopy down, how do you get the remainin 60 foot of smooth pole down without messing up the deck, the house, and not using a FC with a pulley?

Sounds like the same as me with no pullies

Oh to add to that, I used both pulleys and natural crotches. The only time I used a natural crotch was to control the but end of a 30 foot long limb. Tip tie with rope through pulley, butt tie with rope through crotch.

Natural croches have there place, it allowed me to hold the butt end with one hand while cutting with the other (no trolling there MM;)). But the main load was on the tip tie.

Spikes on trims is hack work plain and simple. That shows nothing to your experiance, rather to your knowledge of CODIT (albeit very little).

Experiance is a funny thing. I have 8 months experiance, but I get calls from people that have 30 years experiance that cannot do a removal because it is too hard. The funny thing about experiance is that they have 1 year of experiance 30 times over, I have 8 months experiance, but through AS and an open anilitical mind, I have more working knowledge (read experiance) than almost anyone else in my area.

I've done hundred of trees through decks over million dollar homes over pools over ravines never seen a pulley.

Is this limberjack guy for real? You don't know how to false crotch with just a rope? Go learn something thats not in a book

Is this limberjack guy for real? You don't know how to false crotch with just a rope? Go learn something thats not in a book

I am for real. So you are saying that you set up a false crotch, run the bull rope throught the loop, and up to the peice that you are blocking down? So it is all rope, no metal?

yes

Rope on rope friction is unacceptable. How many FC have you burnt through before? why is it so crazy to use a pulley? Unscrew the pin, slip it over the loop of the FC, slip in the rope, and you can lower peices (or let them run to reduce shock load) without worry of melting the FC.

Latest posts

Back