wheres my husky gas tank breather vent at????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i cant seem to find my gas tank breather hole on my husqvarna 61 from the early 80s . .i filled the tank up and it would cut for about 2 minutes then would idle high and lean out.

. i took off the top of the saw to separate it from the gas tank below. i cant find it ! :dizzy: :dizzy: did they even have them back then? i hooked an air compressor to the top of the gas line sticking out of the top of the tank, gave it a couple little taps and the only air coming out was seeping out of the gas cap, but barely . if i would have help the compressed air down it would have blown the tank apart! heres some pics....

When you find out let me know. Ive been looking for it on my 154 for a month now.

attachment.php

Do you see that little black plug underneath the Practica? That's the vent on this saw. I can't tell if yours is the same.

dont have that , heres a pic to prove it .

that hole you do see in the upper left is for a anti vibration screw and the little round white pad i think is a bumper for the clutch cover i think... all i know is there no other holes in the tank. wonder if they make a one way hose that i could drill and mount to the tank? if i dont figure it out, maybe ill try to not tighten the gas cap so hard . .

Last edited:
can some with the husky 266 268 272 61 and 66 models take a side pic from the right hand side towards the back of their gas tank vent hole?
you dont need to take anything off for the pic. . . if youwant to that be great but not entirely necessary .

i found where it needs to go, and i am ordering the vent part. . . this one http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HUSQVARNA-F...ryZ20538QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i just want see how it sits in the saw. i can drill and tap a hole in the plastic tank. thanks!

never owned a brand H, but does it have the little rubber nipple in the gas cap? They vent air in, but won't allow air out, thus your air pressrue test would back seat and hold air pressure.

k

hey guys, i cant seem to find my gas tank breather hole on my husqvarna 61 from the early 80s . .i filled the tank up and it would cut for about 2 minutes then would idle high and lean out.

. i took off the top of the saw to separate it from the gas tank below. i cant find it ! :dizzy: :dizzy: did they even have them back then? i hooked an air compressor to the top of the gas line sticking out of the top of the tank, gave it a couple little taps and the only air coming out was seeping out of the gas cap, but barely . if i would have help the compressed air down it would have blown the tank apart! heres some pics....

woodbutcher:
Your fuel tank does not have a vent in it, it was produced prior to vented fuel tanks, the fuel cap is vented, that is why you noticed the air coming from the fuel cap. The fuel cap is constructed as to draw air in, not to release air, as it would leak fuel if it incorporated this feature. So I would say, you probably need a new fuel cap.

NOW THE BAD NEWS!
501 56 45-01 TANK CAP NLA
You can try and find a newer fuel tank, that has the incorporated fuel tank vent, or find a NOS fuel cap.

This is the best I can come up with now buddy!

thanks AZ logger and all who have helped. . . . i took out in the battle field and i must have cleaned her up ok (cap,fuel line,etc .... see results below ....

face cord of maple like butter!

Last edited:
thanks AZ logger and all who have helped. . . . i took out in the battle field and i must have cleaned her up ok (cap,fuel line,etc .... see results below ....

face cord pf maple like butter!

Your very welcome, I wish I had about 3 of those rounds for my smoker, that maple does a great job on thick pork loin steaks.

:cheers:

thats one thing i want to get into... smoking meats. my buddy has one i could have... he got a new one. its black and looks like a vertical pill (dont they all) . anyways, he used to put shagbark pieces in it and smoke meats... do i need to dry the wood? i gotta look into it. i love ribeye and have a tone of venison , and wouldnt mind smokin em up!

This is a very old thread, but since I just went thru this and someone else might also, here's a pic of the vent location.
I can't seem to figure out how to get it out though. Unscrewing it has no effect.

Hus61_tank_vent.jpg

61 Model, I am having the same issue, starts, runs at full throttle, cuts, quits. so far checked the fuel filter, spark arrestor, ... thinking the easiest verification is to run it with a loosened gas cap to simulate a vent and see if the problem goes away. if not will check/inspect the gas line for cracks and the carb gaskets for air leaks.

U might try using a pair of hemostats in thru fuel cap hole to try to push that vent out.
Took me a week to figure this out but finally cracked it by using a dart tip. Come in from the top & tap it downward, it should pop out into the fuel tank. Funny thing I've been trying for a week to figure out how to get it back in!,, if anyone knows how or has any ideas pls let me know

Latest posts

Back