whhhhhaaaaat! Stihl Chain at Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bailey's - STIHL 20" CHAIN LOOP 33RSC 72 DL

About 2x what I most recently paid for the same loop, but still. Never though I'd see the day.

Seems a little shady saying their OEM parts come from "various sources". I can only suspect the Russians in this.

They're clearly straying away from posting a Stihl logo, etc.

Have to wonder where a shipping container of stihl chain went missing...

Unrelated:

Paging through the instruction manual for the 560xp from husky which is now even on the US website, there is an instruction about subjecting the autotune to some vigorous upfront use on setup. Spike, got your logs ready?

adjustment of the carburettor’s H and L needles and the Tscrew
no longer applies. Both needles and the T-screw
have been removed. AutoTune is a function that adjusts
the carburettor electronically, always resulting in optimal
adjustment.
Function
• The carburetor governs the engine’s speed via the
throttle control. Air and fuel are mixed in the
carburetor. The air/fuel mixture is adjustable.
• The automatic adjustment of the carburettor means
that the engine is adapted to local conditions, e.g. the
climate, altitude, petrol and the type of 2-stroke oil.
This function is controlled by AutoTune.
Engine adjustment
The following steps should be taken when the chain saw
is started for the first time or when outside circumstances
change (fuel, altitude, air filter etc.): Start the engine.
Accelerate the engine to full throttle and saw a number of
cuts in a thick log (3-5 min.).
The chain saw must be run (8,000 - 12,000 rpm) the entire
time so that the carburettor can adjust itself.

Last edited:
That is the dealer list price when I bought a 72DL loop up town last month

In retail it is refereed to as "diverted goods" or grey area goods. Costco and Sam's Club are masters at this sort of trade. We used to have 10-15 people in our office that focused on nothing but this type of trade.
Some of the time it is nothing more than creating fake companies on paper that buy the product to supposedly export it. It loads on a ship with export documents to satisfy certain legal aspects, sails to international waters, turns around comes back with another set of paper importing it, other times it is setting up a network of small dealers to order and then sell you goods. I used to do this buying Ping, King Cobra, Tommy, golf clubs for Sam's. Some companies turn their heads, they like the extra volume, other's come after you legally. Ping finally successfully got us to stop the practice only after, they found a set where the serial numbers had been buffed off, which is illegal. Unfortunately we did not have the manpower to inspect every head on every golf club. If Stihl wants to stop the practice it would be very easy to do. RFID chips embedded with the customers info would stop it in a heart beat. As long as they keep the prices up at or msrp Stihl will leave them alone, let them cut prices and start heavily discounting, cutting dealers and the brakes will go on, Bailey's is sharp enough to realize this.

That's only about $1 more per loop and $20 LESS per reel than my local dealer.
Needless to say I don't buy chain from them.

Gregg from Baileys has mentioned before that their Stihl OEM parts come from various dealers stock bought out by them. Hit and miss with offerings and availabilities, but OEM none the less. Another choice being offered on their part. Kudos to Baileys and i dont even have a Stihl chainsaw.

Last edited:
If i buy a loop of stihl chain locally thats what i would have to pay for a 20" loop, and a 24" loop is 28.99.......the reason i usually order oregon.

Yeah the local dealers want $28 for a 24" loop. Some want more than that. I don't think I would buy any rolls at that price when oregon is $220 a roll.

Bailey's - STIHL 20" CHAIN LOOP 33RSC 72 DL

I can only suspect the Russians in this.

They're clearly straying away from posting a Stihl logo, etc.

Have to wonder where a shipping container of stihl chain went missing...

Yes, those dam rooossskiieeesss.

But since you let that cat out of the bag, you had better check under your vehicle before starting for a few months.

I had originally thought the Costa Ricans were involved,
but you set me straight.....

It could be worse, it could be the work of the nefarious "Canadian" CARTEL!!!!

Yeah the local dealers want $28 for a 24" loop. Some want more than that. I don't think I would buy any rolls at that price when oregon is $220 a roll.

Same on our side of the ridge - $1 per inch of bar plus $4 for stocked chain. 18" = $22, 20" = $24, etc Special Order seems to be even more expensive. Ron

You know ive tried all the brands of chain. Stihl, Oregon, and Carlton. Im experience Carlton has stayed the sharpest the longest. Its also cheaper. Thats what i run on my stihl. Great chain IMO.

My local dealer has a buy 2 get one free deal on sihl for the last 2 years.

I picked up 3 chains 36RSC72 for just under 50 bucks out the door.

Something tells me I should go buy more before his deal expires

Unrelated:

Paging through the instruction manual for the 560xp from husky which is now even on the US website, there is an instruction about subjecting the autotune to some vigorous upfront use on setup. Spike, got your logs ready?

adjustment of the carburettor’s H and L needles and the Tscrew
no longer applies. Both needles and the T-screw
have been removed. AutoTune is a function that adjusts
the carburettor electronically, always resulting in optimal
adjustment.
Function
• The carburetor governs the engine’s speed via the
throttle control. Air and fuel are mixed in the
carburetor. The air/fuel mixture is adjustable.
• The automatic adjustment of the carburettor means
that the engine is adapted to local conditions, e.g. the
climate, altitude, petrol and the type of 2-stroke oil.
This function is controlled by AutoTune.
Engine adjustment
The following steps should be taken when the chain saw
is started for the first time or when outside circumstances
change (fuel, altitude, air filter etc.): Start the engine.
Accelerate the engine to full throttle and saw a number of
cuts in a thick log (3-5 min.).
The chain saw must be run (8,000 - 12,000 rpm) the entire
time so that the carburettor can adjust itself.

Great info Mike

I was having problems getting that non-existent 562XP / 560 that's been sitting in my basement since April started.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Take Care

Back