Which bar and chain do really need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5speed

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Homelite Super XL-AO and i am in dire need of a bar and chain. This saw was purchased with $20 and its time of the year for me to saw.

I am pulling this out this year because I have to do work on my Mac 10-10, and the bar and chain I have for the homie now sux. Its a total ii bar and carlton chain, but the cut from day one has wobbled and bent as I saw.

I need a gokd stout 20" bar and chain, and i cut 3-5 days a week from mid spring to fall. K rotate saws every 80 hrs for efficiency and regular maint, but I want people to see my Homie really cut.

I cut firewood mostly, however I have been known to accept select cut plans for something to break the monotony.

Any suggestions for a smolth but aggresive cut with this saw?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

The hardnose thats on it is chippen inside the rail, but i flipped it to try and get a few more cuts out of it. Its a homelite bar with a 72 link chain cannot find a bar #. Cut unsure...

The total II bar on it now is virtualy new, but straight out of the box the cut has never been straight.

I meant to say the hardnose is on it, and i took the Total II off. Srry.

The hardnose thats on it is chippen inside the rail, but i flipped it to try and get a few more cuts out of it. Its a homelite bar with a 72 link chain cannot find a bar #. Cut unsure...

The total II bar on it now is virtualy new, but straight out of the box the cut has never been straight.

That's more a chain issue than a bar issue.

Chain is also new. I thought perhaps I had hit something, took it to local chain guru/sharpener, and he stated chain was in fine order.

Ok. I reread an so far its confusing.

Bought last march, no bar or chain came with it.
Purchased brand new Total II bar with Carlton semi-Chisel 70 link chain. Ran around 70 - 80 hrs. Never cut straight, EVER.
Past week purchased parts saw SuperXL AO with old homelite bar and oregon 72 link chain.

Currently using this old bar and chain, but needs replaced.

Hope it clarifies.

They are matched to the carlton 20/21 bar setup

Ill see if i can locate part numbers in the AM

If you are cutting as much as indicated, I would strongly recommend you get a more modern saw that has good anti-vibe. Not saying to get rid of what you have but that is a lot of cutting and something less vintage would be easier on your body.

Lol. Not worried about the body damage too much. When i was 16 i fell 65ft an did a faceplant on a concrete pad. I shattered my face, bottom 1/3 of left arm, broke both knees and r reconstructed, and broke my lower back in 2 places and one place in upper back.

And I have a Ryobi, Stihl 029, and A Blue Max, I jus love my Homie and older saws.

Latest posts

Back