which bar brand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freakingstang said:
Very true, but do you know how many people think a bar is worn out when the paint is gone? More than not, unfortunately
You know how many people ask stuff like the classic "my saw isn't cutting straight" that don't think to check if the bar is straight? I have seen almost brand new bars that were bent, once its bent its done, I don't care what anyone says, done. Shouldn't be buying used bars alone anyways, when I have gone to buy a used a saw, usually they do have bars, I take a good 4' level with me. Then I say "look, its bent" and it costs less and I get a new bar. Try this level method, you may be suprised at what you see.

SawTroll said:
...Skwerl may be right about the Oregons though, but I don't really believe it. I will try to look further into it.
One of my Pro-Lites (an old one) is stamped "Made in Canada".

Another one (semi-new) also says "Made in Canada" on it, but as part of the paintwork.

The third one say nothing of its origin, but most of the paint is gone......

New Manufactured Bar

I do not have the back ground on the history of chain saws bars as the other members have. I have used all the bars but two cannon and total. I am using a bar called sugihara made in Japan. So far I have been very satisfied with this bar. It may be a old name bar,but it new to me.

:greenchainsaw:

SawTroll said:
I am pretty sure I have read some positive comments on the Sugihara bars here earlier - have you tried a search?

You are correct there were three positive post on this Sugihara bar.The bar is a first class bar that has been over looked. I will buy it again. As I stated the bar is new to me. I bought the bars because of price. They have proven to be just as good as the bars that came with my Stihl saws.

:greenchainsaw:

Sugihara aka Tsumura I believe are good bars, with poor distribution. They aren't widely available, hence why they aren't in wider use. The quality is there, but if the users can't buy the product, it won't be widely known.

TimberPig said:
Sugihara aka Tsumura I believe are good bars, with poor distribution. They aren't widely available, hence why they aren't in wider use. The quality is there, but if the users can't buy the product, it won't be widely known.

I agree with you. The big problem Poor Distribution. At the time I purchased the SugiHara bar I did not know the bar was a first class bar.The 25" bar on my MS360 is liter than with with the stihl bar.I just got good deal by accident.

:chainsaw:

Freakingstang said:
I have been having good results with the Total Super bars. I think the are made by Tsunami or something similar. The older ones were made by GB. These things are 2-3 times harder than a normal oregon bar. I'll have to post up a pick of my 20" bar that has about 30 cord on it and still looks like it came out of the box. To tell you the truth, I have only had to clean it up once and it gets checked quite regular. I have been much happier with this bar after running strictly oregon for years.

I have run Total bars since I started cutting wood in '93. The 24" bar on my 920 was purchased in 1985 and only gave out two years ago. It cut countless cords of wood and I never greased the sprocket on it, either. It was pretty reasonably priced, too. I have a 16" bar from my 621 that looks way older than my other bars and it is still running great.

sugi-hara bars

Dont know of any dealers but here is an application guide. If someome else could post dealers it would help.:monkey:

bama said:
I have run Total bars since I started cutting wood in '93. The 24" bar on my 920 was purchased in 1985 and only gave out two years ago. It cut countless cords of wood and I never greased the sprocket on it, either. It was pretty reasonably priced, too. I have a 16" bar from my 621 that looks way older than my other bars and it is still running great.

Those were probably older GB made "total" bars. The new ones are made by Tsumura. It is the brand that all the loggers in the area use and stand up to the harshest environment the best

Latest posts

Back