Which Chain to Buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpncoop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I was going to buy new chains for my Husqvarna 455 Rancher. So far, all I've used is the stock chain that comes with it, which is a safety chain. Can you reccommend a better chain to use for general use cutting? The saw gets used 4 or so times a week for a few hours at a time. The chains I've been using seem to lose an edge quickly, and are also poor for plunge cutting, etc... Thanks for the help,

Stihl chain is has a great reputation here. Just match the pitch, gauge, and drive link count and you're good to go.

RSC is full-chisel and is my general purpose chain (safety chain version is RSC3).

RMC is semi-chisel and will remain effective in cutting "dirty" wood a little longer than full-chisel. (Safety chain version is RMC3.)

If I'm cutting for hours at a time, I take multiple sharpened chains into the field with me. I also take a hand-sharpening kit and a stump vise with me.

Last edited:
Stihl chain is the best chain we use out of the box. If your on a budget and need several chains we switched last fall to the Baileys woodland pro chains.
Their not quite as sharp out of the box, but their usually half the price and holds up well, I believe their made by Carlton in the USA. We had excellent results with it. It sharpens up really well and for firewwood cutting and farm use it's fine.

Stihl chain is the best chain we use out of the box. If your on a budget and need several chains we switched last fall to the Baileys woodland pro chains.
Their not quite as sharp out of the box, but their usually half the price and holds up well, I believe their made by Carlton in the USA. We had excellent results with it. It sharpens up really well and for firewwood cutting and farm use it's fine.

Most OEM chain is Oregon. Woodland Pro is much better chain than Oregon.

Latest posts

Back