Which dealer will you buy from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy boy, you sure do have a knack for starting threads that grab an audience. 0 - 50 posts in about 30 minutes. Isn't that some kind of record? Thanks again for the fun read.

And as we all know, a shop that will talk saws for 45 minutes with a customer is so far ahead of a supermarket-style store there's really no choice as far as AS members are concerned.

I agree. If you don't take the time don't expect the sale. Thats how I've always operated. Seems to work pretty good. My longest sale took two weeks on the phone back and forth and a few visits here in person. I thought the man would never would make up his mind. $6000.00 later looking back it was worth the effort..

Tommie,

I'm shocked you would talk with him. Why?

If a man gets a great quote from dealer #1 and doesn't buy, I'd say he's a tire kicker. If he didn't buy it on the spot, he's lame, or he used dealer #1 to play you.

Bet ole Rollie would have spotted that,

ole joat

Thall is the other shop some dive or hole in the wall type of place, because I'll admit from the pics you have shown of your shop , if the other place was shady , I would buy from your shop.

No no, the other place was a huge rental center, real nice place. They rent large equipment. Ya see they rent things that bring a few grand in a day, they could care less about a small thing like selling a saw. The customer apparently realized it and knew the savings may not be worth it down the road...

Tommie,

I'm shocked you would talk with him. Why?

If a man gets a great quote from dealer #1 and doesn't buy, I'd say he's a tire kicker. If he didn't buy it on the spot, he's lame, or he used dealer #1 to play you.

Bet ole Rollie would have spotted that,

ole joat

Why Joat I'm shocked at you. You missed something in my first post, he had a written quote, a printed quote to be more exact. Good thing too for if he hadn't I would have never went 929.95, I would had stayed at 970.00,haha

Why Joat I'm shocked at you. You missed something in my first post, he had a written quote, a printed quote to be more exact. Good thing too for if he hadn't I would have never went 929.95, I would had stayed at 970.00,haha

Tommie,

I caught that. In other words, he no intention of buying from dealer #1. His sole purpose of getting the quote was to get into your pocket.

Well played saw buyer,

ole joat

Sometimes money and price tant everything, this shopper seemed to know it but he sure did try to get that $875.00 price, I gotta hand it to him..

Yep. That's why I wouldn't answer a question the way you presented it. There's always more to the story.

If I were the buyer, and that's all the info I had, I'd get more info.

Two questions for ya.

#1. Were the prices quoted pre-Tax or out the door?

#2. Do we really know there was a dealer #1?;)

All said and done, if the gent is like me and all things are equal but the price, it comes down to the "read" I get from folks I meet for the first time.

50 bucks difference ain't worth buying something from a guy that sends the Poopstainometer into the red zone, or makes ya want to club him like a baby harp seal from just looking at 'em.

I reckon if the guy files his own chains, he spent a wise 50 Bucks extra, if nothing else but for the entertainment value whenever his saw needs a tweak.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Tommie,

I caught that. In other words, he no intention of buying from dealer #1. His sole purpose of getting the quote was to get into your pocket.

Well played saw buyer,

ole joat

I kinda doubt that because he went back to the other dealer but did not buy it according to him, I can only take him at his word.

Many don't know this but there is a big war going on with these big rental outfits selling Stihl well below dealers because its such a small part of their main business. The rep and me have been talking about it for awhile now. I actually worked in TS420 bought at Best Rentals out of Frederick Maryland and the price sticker was still on the saw, 849.95. That saw lists for 1029.95. These rental centers are hell for this. I feel good I stole one from them, :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Grrrr I thought someone would say dealer 2 at 929.95 durn it. I was dealer 2 at 929.95 and he did come back a week later and buy the saw at that price. I'm really trying to figure out what must have happened at dealer 1 that would cause this guy to pitch his 54.95 savings there and come to me. Anyone got any ideas?

Tommy, it had to be your killer aftershave, or it could be that the other guys aftershave was the very hard to come by: "Low Tide at the Galveston Pig Farm"

RD

Woodie and Rexie got an invite to the thread,
But they had better things to do in the shed.

I'd love to have Woodie and Rex both stop in here sometime. Man I would have a blast with both of them. 2000k can tell ya what I mean. I'm not so sure Rex could take it for long,LOLOLOL

Tommy, it had to be your killer aftershave, or it could be that the other guys aftershave was the very hard to come by: "Low Tide at the Galveston Pig Farm"

RD

Clubman did it, hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe that guy was , oh noooooooooooo, oh well, his money was striaght,hahaha

Two questions for ya.

All said and done, if the gent is like me and all things are equal but the price, it comes down to the "read" I get from folks I meet for the first time.

50 bucks difference ain't worth buying something from a guy that sends the Poopstainometer into the red zone, or makes ya want to club him like a baby harp seal from just looking at 'em.

I reckon if the guy files his own chains, he spent a wise 50 Bucks extra, if nothing else but for the entertainment value whenever his saw needs a tweak.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:ices_rofl::agree2:

Yep. That's why I wouldn't answer a question the way you presented it. There's always more to the story.

If I were the buyer, and that's all the info I had, I'd get more info.

Me too. He didn't seem too keen on the other place but the other place isn't too concern about a saw. Their renting backhoes, dozers, man lifts, big money items. Alot of big farm equipment dealers are guilty of this as well. I try just as hard selling a 180 as I do a 660, it makes a differance to the person buying it..

I get similar situations, there's a huge rental chain in our area that basically gives away equipment. Customers bring me prices on saws from rental place and I can't beat them, they sell saws for 10-20$ over cost on pretty much everything. I tell the customers, I can't beat the price but, I have something they don't, and that's parts. The rental place only stocks for cutoffs saws which they sell thousands of, but simple stuff like chain and air filters for chainsaws they don't have. I tell the customers, to ask the rental place if they stock air filters, chain, bars, fuel line, and they don't and that fact is more important, to most people than saving a few bucks.

Two questions for ya.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

No chain on this saw to file , its a wheel. If it was a chainsaw well I woulda sold him a few chains to go with it, hell he had a 100.00 to play it, I would have gotten that too,LOLOL

No no, the other place was a huge rental center, real nice place. They rent large equipment. Ya see they rent things that bring a few grand in a day, they could care less about a small thing like selling a saw. The customer apparently realized it and knew the savings may not be worth it down the road...

I know that place. It's a GRAND place, right Tom?

You walk in there and they act like they can barely contain their contempt that you darkened their doorway, and that's before they find out you are small potatoes.

They also don't know any better than to put regular Stihl bar oil (orange bottle) in a saw when the weather is 20 degrees. Point it out to them and you get, "That's what the manufacturer recommends.", with a condescending smirk.

I wouldn't buy a saw there if they had a 50% off sale.

I'm serious. I drive 10 minutes past them to go to another equipment rental place when I need something. (Sunbelt - great folks!)

I get similar situations, there's a huge rental chain in our area that basically gives away equipment. Customers bring me prices on saws from rental place and I can't beat them, they sell saws for 10-20$ over cost on pretty much everything. I tell the customers, I can't beat the price but, I have something they don't, and that's parts. The rental place only stocks for cutoffs saws which they sell thousands of, but simple stuff like chain and air filters for chainsaws they don't have. I tell the customers, to ask the rental place if they stock air filters, chain, bars, fuel line, and they don't and that fact is more important, to most people than saving a few bucks.

Another bingo. I reminded him of all that in our 45 minute talk. Your post is 100% spot on about these rental outfits. They almost sell Stihl at cost because they don't care. Its such a small part and small money maker compared to the other things they offer. I told my rep about it and he already knew all about it. Its been going on for a long time and will continue. We small guys just need to spend more time with the customer to get them away from that price only concept..

I know that place. It's a GRAND place, right Tom?

You walk in there and they act like they can barely contain their contempt that you darkened their doorway, and that's before they find out you are small potatoes.

They also don't know any better than to put regular Stihl bar oil (orange bottle) in a saw when the weather is 20 degrees. Point it out to them and you get, "That's what the manufacturer recommends.", with a condescending smirk.

I wouldn't buy a saw there if they had a 50% off sale.

I'm serious. I drive 10 minutes past them to go to another equipment rental place when I need something. (Sunbelt - great folks!)

You got it. Thats where he came from. He loved his quote but he got a chill from the attitude there. I'm 929.95 glad he did. I'll take care of him much better than they will..

Latest posts

Back