Which dealer will you buy from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have two Stihl dealers the same distance from your house. You do not know either one of them on a personal basis at all, your going in each one for the first time. You are price shopping by merely asking whats the best price you will give me on a certain saw you want. Dealer 1 gives you a written quote of $875.00 on a saw that lists for $1029.95. You take your written quote and leave. You go to dealer 2 and ask him what is the best price he will give you on the exact same saw. You get a price of $970.00. You show dealer 2 the written quote you got from dealer 1 of $875.00. Now dealer 2 has decided ok, my best price to you is now $929.95. You want a better price than what dealer 1 gave you of $875.00 Dealer 2 says no way, forget it, not happening here, $929.95 is it.

Which dealer do you buy the saw from, dealer 1 at $875.00 or dealer 2 at $929.95? Remember there is a $54.95 savings on the exact same saw from dealer 1 over dealer 2.

I'd hang out in the parking lots of each dealer for a while and see which shop the farmers and Pro tree guys are taking their saws INTO.

Mike

most rental yards give those ts420's away for free if you buy so many diamond wheels. the cutoff saw business is a worthless business because of the lowballing.

that kid probably bought the saw from you because the other place didnt even have it in stock and told him theyd charge him shipping and the total would amount to what you were selling it at or more. you having the inside knowledge that this kid wasnt happy at the other place was a clear advantage to you that you should of taken advantage of. charge him list and be done with it. if he #####ed, well its either you a knowledeable shop or that other place he dreads. not only does he get to deal with you he gets a nice chunk off the price for no reason. it would only be feasible if the other dealer was great too then you gotta play the pricing game but if dealer 1 is garbage and dealer 2 is great then theres no need to discount.

we have to laugh inside when people come in wanting a discount on something. i always ask em how much ya buying? uhhh 1... GTFO with that! ha we only discount for companies that buy fleets. 1 or 2 units, it just aint worth it!

most rental yards give those ts420's away for free if you buy so many diamond wheels. the cutoff saw business is a worthless business because of the lowballing.

that kid probably bought the saw from you because the other place didnt even have it in stock and told him theyd charge him shipping and the total would amount to what you were selling it at or more. you having the inside knowledge that this kid wasnt happy at the other place was a clear advantage to you that you should of taken advantage of. charge him list and be done with it. if he #####ed, well its either you a knowledeable shop or that other place he dreads. not only does he get to deal with you he gets a nice chunk off the price for no reason. it would only be feasible if the other dealer was great too then you gotta play the pricing game but if dealer 1 is garbage and dealer 2 is great then theres no need to discount.

we have to laugh inside when people come in wanting a discount on something. i always ask em how much ya buying? uhhh 1... GTFO with that! ha we only discount for companies that buy fleets. 1 or 2 units, it just aint worth it!

Good points but chances are real good if I went for list he would have went the other way. People will put up with quite abit to save $154.00. I gave him two good reasons to cough up the extra 54.95. I'm more than willing to play within reason but I'm not giving the store away to match those rental centers. The rental center wound up making nothing, lost a potential customer probably for life. What I gave up in price I'll get back over time and more to boot. A 100.00 isn't hard to make up in filters for those units. I think long term anytime there is a new customer I've never seen before. I want that guy coming back over and over.

Had a lady wanting 10-SR420 sprayers last week. Thats 5299.50 worth of sprayers. She called on the phone and was price shopping. There are at least 10 dealers within a 20 mile radius around me. We talked on the phone, I worked her up a price and she said I'll call you back. That automaticly tells me she calling around for the best price. A week goes by and I hear nothing. I assumed she found a better price. Tuesday this week she calls, gives me her credit card number. Tomorrow she comes to pick up her sprayers. I didn't get full list but those other dealers got nothing. If your hungry taking beans from the competition, even if not a full plate still tastes good...

I would buy from the small shop that actually wants to know there customer and help me out when I need it. I always ask for a low price and some throw ins.

Basically the guy with out his head up his ass.

Last edited:
Good points but chances are real good if I went for list he would have went the other way. People will put up with quite abit to save $154.00. I gave him two good reasons to cough up the extra 54.95. I'm more than willing to play within reason but I'm not giving the store away to match those rental centers. The rental center wound up making nothing, lost a potential customer probably for life. What I gave up in price I'll get back over time and more to boot. A 100.00 isn't hard to make up in filters for those units. I think long term anytime there is a new customer I've never seen before. I want that guy coming back over and over.

Had a lady wanting 10-SR420 sprayers last week. Thats 5299.50 worth of sprayers. She called on the phone and was price shopping. There are at least 10 dealers within a 20 mile radius around me. We talked on the phone, I worked her up a price and she said I'll call you back. That automaticly tells me she calling around for the best price. A week goes by and I hear nothing. I assumed she found a better price. Tuesday this week she calls, gives me her credit card number. Tomorrow she comes to pick up her sprayers. I didn't get full list but those other dealers got nothing. If your hungry taking beans from the competition, even if not a full plate still tastes good...

all good points as well. hell 10 sprayers on a single purchase is worthy of a discount!

I would buy from Dealer 1,

I'm betting you wouldn't. It doesn't take 2 minutes in that place to realize they really don't want you there.

Oh, I suppose management does, but none of the employees do.

that kid probably bought the saw from you because the other place didnt even have it in stock

They probably did have it right there. They have a lot of stuff on the shelves. Very nice displays.

And very bad attitudes.

all good points as well. hell 10 sprayers on a single purchase is worthy of a discount!

I thought so as well. I'm still groweling over a sale I had wrapped up last year. Only problem was the bottom fell out the economy before I could get the money. Everything was done. All that was needed was a check and the buyer couldn't get it because of a sudden county freeze on money. The sale was right at 100 grand. Oddly the sale still stands and I'm being told if they ever lift the freeze on the funds they want the product. They have called a few times to let me know it all a matter of the freeze, nothing else. Dayummm I wish it would warm up at the county office,hahaha

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8DFwb3zlDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U8DFwb3zlDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Haha, good one. Here's one for ya,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zyI1pbRb6P4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zyI1pbRb6P4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back