Which Echo model?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikemike

bikemike

loud pipes save lives
590 for on the ground and a 355t for in the tree would make a good pair if you go the 2 saw direction. You could have a ported 590 for less then a stock 620p.
Very true. And I'm somewhat obsessed with the 620pw and would like to test ride 1 but I think I need a 066 or 660 for my bigger work that the oh34 av super shouldn't take on

cinari

cinari

ArboristSite Lurker
If I wasn't invested so heavily in Stihl, I'd be looking at Shindaiwa. :yes:

How so, my T-10 brother? How are they different than Echo?

I was comparing the Shindaiwa 491s to the Echo CS-490, and they appear to be the exact same saw. Same displacement, price, weight, etc. I could not tell a difference other than color, chrome-lined piston (omitted from the CS-490 specs), and two-year professional warranty on the 491.

I called Shindaiwa today to get more information, and got the canned answer that Echo and Shindaiwa are now one. When I pressed them for details, she compared some part numbers, and stated that they appear to be the exact same saw branded under different names. Granted, she did not radiate confidence.

I don't want to crush anyone's image of the brand, but I just don't see any differences. It does seem odd though that Echo offers a two-year professional warranty for the 491s for the same price as the CS-490.

I'd do an onsite comparison, but my local dealer, who sells both, only stocks Echo.

Matt Hogden

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Generally i have found that the Shindaiwas have higher output than the echos of the same size. Different ignitions, porting etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Matt Hogden

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Awwwwww crap, i just did a parts cross reference for the CS490 and 491S on the major parts.
Cylinder = same
Piston = same
Carb = same
Muffler = same
Flywheel = same
Coil = same
Base Gasket = same
Well it definitely appears that they are the same except fpr warranty and colour.
Well i would go for the one with the best deal on price.
But i do like my reds!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk