Which Grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently damaged a chain on an embedded rock. I have a couple other chains that I have cacked over the years, and have not had good luck with my hand filing skills in bringing them back from almost-dead.

I can keep 'em sharp filing by hand if they are not damaged, but once badness happens, it's not working out. I appreciate that you may think that I could do it with hand filing if I practiced more. But that's not what this thread is about. Let's talk about bench mounted grinders.

I did various searches on AS on grinders and related issues. What it comes to is I am considering one of the following grinders from Baileys.

Silvey SC510
Silvey Swing Arm
MAXX 13151

Oregon 511AX (with or without hydraulic

I'd be interested in peoples' recommendations on these. My main interest is resuscitating damaged chains, beyond that I would also use it after a day of milling. In the field I'll continue to file by hand to touch up. I use the Granberg and Oregon ripping chains. I'd like to be able to grind the rakers with the grinder too, if that is possible. I find raker setting waaay more tedious than chain filing. Which one should I buy?

Also, what about wheels? I read about abn/cbn wheels, which aside from being pricey I could only find in a 4 7/8" diameter.

Cheers,

Dan

That's a great deal on that grinder.

If you're milling with semi chisel then a round grinder would be the way to go for you.

I've had the Oregon without hydraulic for many years now, and it's been a very good grinder.

I don't hand file at all anymore, i carry extra chains and swap them out as needed. Once you learn your grinder, you can easily sharpen a chain without excess grinding of the tooth.

Rob

Back