Which is the better small Stihl 009L or an 025?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp2k

Reaction score
I ended up with two small saws, a Stihl 009L (with the 2.5 cu in engine) and an 025. I'm looking for opinions on which would be the better one to get tuned up and keep. Mostly looking to use it for a small saw (limbs, brush etc) for occasional cleanup on my property.

thanks!

The 025 is more modern design and will last well if its kept and used properly, they are prone to seal failure so watch closely for air leaks. The 009 is a much older design but near bullet proof, should last forever if properly maintained, never had one come in with bad crank seals.Have seen 009`s with very high hours on them with nothing more than a couple sparkplugs changed out.

What are you looking to use a saw for? It may be that neither will fit your needs and you would be better off selling both and getting something else. Of the two the 025 is probably more versatile.

The 025 would be the keeper if I had to make a choice for general home owner use and even more aggressive firewood/limbing applications. The 009 is pretty klunky by comparison, but as stated previously, a bullet proof specimen of relentless loyalty to the cause.

BTW, welcome aboard. Where in Ohio are you located? I'm in the Henrietta Twp. area if you need any help with either saw.

This is part of the 18 cords I put up last year, with my 025 "non-professional clamshell homeowner saw" and a little Pull-on limbing saw. Just sayin'.

Back