Which one to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pl1338

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a fair amount of cutting to do, firewood only, but some of that is in advance and felling trees is not out of the question. I intend to buy more saw than I need so that I get something that can do what I ask if I need it for larger jobs, and for a longer lasting tool.

Now, I have my reasons for not wanting to buy an ECHO, right, wrong or indifferent, they’re my reasons.

I am interested in a Husqvarna, Jonsered, Stihl or possibly another brand (other than echo) if they can compete with these three. What I’m wanting is a 24in. or larger bar, lots of cc’s and enough power to spank that ECHO, but, I don’t own a bank! I have my sights set on these three, a husky 576 XP G w/ a 24 in. bar at about $890.00.

A Stihl ms 441 w/ a 25 in bar and coming in at just over 8 hundo or a Jonsered unknown model. I Haven’t been able to locate a dealer around here (I’m in central Ohio) for them yet. They may be out of the running soon.

Now I know that this is like opening up a can of worms with the Stihl & Husqvarna crowds, like Ford, Chevy and Dodge. I’m interested in pure straight up facts from people who actually have these things and know what they act like, and how good they are.

Any experiences or thoughts I’d love to hear them! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You should look at some of the other 200,000 threads on this fourm :hmm3grin2orange:. They are all black letter and standard text size. That does not go over to well here, just go back and edit your post. These guys will come around and answer the questions.

Maybe he wanted to be pretty and different?

I vote for a 441, own one and its not modified. Runs a 25 inch bar WELL and pulls a 32 inch when needed. I've been known to put an 18 on it to cut firewood when the wood is 15-17 inches or so to give my 260 pro a rest. There is NO vibration with a 441, don't know about the other models of saws you listed. I ran a husky a week or 2 ago and it vibrated like hell to me, don't know if thats all huskys or not.

the can of worms is going to spill, no really both the saws you mentioned will do nicely. Ive never run that husky, but im sure it will do. Ive run my uncles 044 a LOT. Choose the one with the better dealer, this way if anything happens you now you can trust the dealer to take care of you. good luck
-matt

Jonsered will give you $150 to trade in a old saw...not sure if the others have that or not...

FYI-if you ask the dealers will have an old junker laying around that they will let you use for a trade in.

Gitcha self won er them there Stihlvarndolmereds.

I heeerd them chanesalls run gooder than Echo.

I can't give it no never mind who I heerd it from, but Ima pert neer positive it was somebody something er nother.

Or maybe it wasn't. Bout lost most of my ole mind try'n to keep track of it all.

Oh, by the way, I kinda have a hanker'n fer them there Toyoter trucks.

Many good brands, many good models.
I don't know anything about the 576.
Have a 441 and it's a good saw. Have used it to do some light logging (a few thousand board feet), and for cutting a few cords of firewood.

Last edited:
wow... trolls have invaded.. :) NICE! lol... keep in mind if anything breaks on a husky you'd better have a dealer close and the parts cost more. You can get almost any of the stuff on feebay for both though.

Allrighty then! :laugh: Sorry about the colors and size...

Thanks for all the input so far.

I second adding the Dolmar 7900 to your comparison. Also the new Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque looks pretty solid to add into the mix and I think you can still get the old tried and true 372XP. Not sure how much more the Stihl MS460 is in your market, but I'd consider it as well. Good luck!

guess you don't buy many stihl parts.

bought a million flippy caps and air filters.. couple carb kits. umm... a jug and piston for a. 025 (off ebay though) umm... rear handle for a saw.. million bars.. which are expensive enough i'll give you that. rim sprockets galore and several spur sprockets as well. umm... needle bearing or two.. umm.... thats about all i can think of. The damn things burn more in fuel before they get worn out than the saw costs :)

Buddy that has several huskys has basically bought the same stuff from a husky dealer, we compared and i'm about 60% cheaper we decided. Might just be our respective dealers.. oh, and he had to wait 3 weeks on a sproket to get delivered

Could be the dealer.. we run John Deere tractors cause the dealer is 4 miles away and can have parts the next day... case is 80 miles and has them in stock. Guess how many Cases are showing up in our area just because they can get parts the same day and fix their machines.

No love for Echo...

Why do people hate on the lighter, easier to use darkhorse of the saw world?

I have a Dolmar EHP7900 (woods ported) and it has been a great saw! If you have a dealer in your area check them out.

Mine likes a lot of fuel but cuts very fast, and has been very reliable.

I Really like the 7900!

With that said, The quality of your dealers are the key!

If I didn't have a good Dolmar dealer and was looking for quality saws, I would get a 441 and 261 Stihl.

Like I said a quality dealer is the key from my stand point.

I have a fair amount of cutting to do, firewood only, but some of that is in advance and felling trees is not out of the question. I intend to buy more saw than I need so that I get something that can do what I ask if I need it for larger jobs, and for a longer lasting tool.

Now, I have my reasons for not wanting to buy an ECHO, right, wrong or indifferent, they’re my reasons.

I am interested in a Husqvarna, Jonsered, Stihl or possibly another brand (other than echo) if they can compete with these three. What I’m wanting is a 24in. or larger bar, lots of cc’s and enough power to spank that ECHO, but, I don’t own a bank! I have my sights set on these three, a husky 576 XP G w/ a 24 in. bar at about $890.00.

A Stihl ms 441 w/ a 25 in bar and coming in at just over 8 hundo or a Jonsered unknown model. I Haven’t been able to locate a dealer around here (I’m in central Ohio) for them yet. They may be out of the running soon.

Now I know that this is like opening up a can of worms with the Stihl & Husqvarna crowds, like Ford, Chevy and Dodge. I’m interested in pure straight up facts from people who actually have these things and know what they act like, and how good they are.

Any experiences or thoughts I’d love to hear them! Thanks in advance.

Which Echo do you need to spank? Kind of embarrasing when you get spanked by one. Steve

Latest posts

Back