Which one to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dolmar 7900 or baileys has the makita brand 6401 for $494 or you can get it with a 84cc big bore kit for i think $594

It was VERY embarrassing! But it was taken with the knowledge that my little craftsman is only a 46cc and WHO KNOWS how many cc's that monster was, but it had at least a 24 inch bar and I did run it. It was almost TOO FAST through oak! What I came away with is that there are better saws that aren't made in Japan, and I can get one of them. Plus this guy is all about how he only gets the best of everything, however, he kept telling me how the salesman told him that the saw he got was as good as a Stihl, but less money. SOOOOOO I think that tells me he should have gotten a Stihl! If I were selling them I'd say the same thing!

My experience the other day was very enlightening mostly due to the fact that he was so much faster than my saw (& he only had an ECHO!) and I could get a whole lot more wood cut in a whole lot less time with a great saw! See I went after working all night and we loaded a trailer and two pickups within 4 hours. Thats after my saw took a dump! My chain started running so slowly the engine wouldn't turn it, it may have been the extremely cold temps freezing the oil, but I don't know. I have yet to look at it.

I'm gonna call a couple places in the area today about the prices on the Dolmar, I do like the looks of it. Why no comments on the reds? It seems years ago I heard good things about them.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, this has been a huge help and from some very experienced sawmen! From the looks of things it looks like I couldn't have gone to a better place for advice!

Why no comments on the reds? It seems years ago I heard good things about them.

Jonsered's are basically the same saw as Husqvarna. From what I understand they may not have the newest models until a year or two down the road though. Good saws though.

It may have been mentioned, but depending on how good your dealer is and his support should weigh heavily on your decision.

Well, I've made some phone calls and come up pretty short on dealers for the Dolmar. There were 3 of them, one is disappeared, the other ain't taken calls and the one who did answer is a long way off! Plus he's out of stock with no suppliers stocked!

Now I called a Stihl dealer that I know has been around forever and have never heard a complaint on, not too far away, up until a year ago I lived a block away from them, and he has the 441 in stock and is willing to throw in an extra chain and some oil to sweeten the deal. I think I found my saw boys!

I know the dealer is a LARGE part of any decision with these types of things. And my personal knowledge of this particular dealer is playing a big part in the decision. They are reputable and a longstanding company, so it only stands to reason with the comments here and the other factors with the Dolmar dealers, well, I can't pass this deal up.

Now... To get the wife to release funds... Any ideas on that one?!?!?!

Last edited:
I just buy and tell the wife later. Well I don't cause she doesn't care at all what I buy. I bought a new 660 and a silvey swing arm since thansgiving.

Well, I've made some phone calls and come up pretty short on dealers for the Dolmar. There were 3 of them, one is disappeared, the other ain't taken calls and the one who did answer is a long way off! Plus he's out of stock with no suppliers stocked!

Now I called a Stihl dealer that I know has been around forever and have never heard a complaint on, not too far away, up until a year ago I lived a block away from them, and he has the 441 in stock and is willing to throw in an extra chain and some oil to sweeten the deal. I think I found my saw boys!

I know the dealer is a LARGE part of any decision with these types of things. And my personal knowledge of this particular dealer is playing a big part in the decision. They are reputable and a longstanding company, so it only stands to reason with the comments here and the other factors with the Dolmar dealers, well, I can't pass this deal up.

just make sure the extra chain is "non safety" and your good to go.. then take off the pos anti kick chain that came with the saw . you will be lots farther ahead

I just buy and tell the wife later. Well I don't cause she doesn't care at all what I buy. I bought a new 660 and a silvey swing arm since thansgiving.

Well, I am free to purchase what I want, but, we are on a bit of a tight budget at the moment due to Christmas etc. I may be able to make this purchase at the end of January. Of course I might need to make it before then. I got a 50inch plasma and a surround sound blu-ray set since Thanksgiving, I wish I'd known I'd want a new saw this soon... Screw the tv! It's paid for tho, and I'd like the saw to be also.

I couldn't go that much (660). I am having a hard time parting with the 850 this is gonna cost!

Well, I am free to purchase what I want, but, we are on a bit of a tight budget at the moment due to Christmas etc. I may be able to make this purchase at the end of January. Of course I might need to make it before then. I got a 50inch plasma and a surround sound blu-ray set since Thanksgiving, I wish I'd known I'd want a new saw this soon... Screw the tv! It's paid for tho, and I'd like the saw to be also.

I couldn't go that much (660). I am having a hard time parting with the 850 this is gonna cost!

Yeah it sounds like saws are a little bit higher in your neck of the woods. i think one can be had around here for $750 or so.

You could probably get any cutting you have to do done with a 60cc saw. Like a Stihl MS362. Mod the muffler and it will cut with most 70cc saws and be a little lighter and cheaper.
The only other choice IMO is a 70cc saw. Of the ones you mentioned, I have only ran the 441. It is a good saw. The Dolmar is awesome though, but dealer support goes a long way unless you do your own work.
Whatever you get, look into modding the muffler if you know your way around carb tuning pretty good. If you can't tune a carb, learn! Then mod the muffler.;)

It's a shame you don;t have any good Dolmar dealers in your area.
I paid less for my ported 7900 than the my local dealers will sell a stock 441 for.

None the less I think you will be very happy with the 441, unless you run one that has been ported. Hint Hint!!

Now as far as the funds from the wife, that's simple! Let her get cold enough and she will buy the saw for you!

It was VERY embarrassing! But it was taken with the knowledge that my little craftsman is only a 46cc and WHO KNOWS how many cc's that monster was, but it had at least a 24 inch bar and I did run it. It was almost TOO FAST through oak! What I came away with is that there are better saws that aren't made in Japan, and I can get one of them. Plus this guy is all about how he only gets the best of everything, however, he kept telling me how the salesman told him that the saw he got was as good as a Stihl, but less money. SOOOOOO I think that tells me he should have gotten a Stihl! If I were selling them I'd say the same thing!

My experience the other day was very enlightening mostly due to the fact that he was so much faster than my saw (& he only had an ECHO!) and I could get a whole lot more wood cut in a whole lot less time with a great saw! See I went after working all night and we loaded a trailer and two pickups within 4 hours. Thats after my saw took a dump! My chain started running so slowly the engine wouldn't turn it, it may have been the extremely cold temps freezing the oil, but I don't know. I have yet to look at it.

I'm gonna call a couple places in the area today about the prices on the Dolmar, I do like the looks of it. Why no comments on the reds? It seems years ago I heard good things about them.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, this has been a huge help and from some very experienced sawmen! From the looks of things it looks like I couldn't have gone to a better place for advice!

If he's running a well tuned CS8000 you better get something bigger than a 044 440 441 372 or he'll still spank you in cutting speed. My CS8000 spanks my 044 bad. If he's running a CS670 you'ld be safe with any of those unless he has it worked over. Steve

With shipping $750.00 for the 2010 372xt with 28" B/C but the more I look at it the more I see the 359 design with no Mahale cylinder which is a landowner saw:confused:

Back