Light weight durable saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgaborist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a smaller saw. I'm looking at a ms250 versus a CS 4510. My understanding is the echo 4510 is much better built equipment. But would love to have expert information before I buy. If there is another saw in the 45 cc to 50cc range that can handle an 18 or 20 in blade and is durable and reliable I'm interested. I've used the older stills and like them but I'm not so fond of the newer stuff even though I have some. I just want a good durable saw and I do work like a logger but it's mostly conservation work and clean up work. So I like I saw that starts easily and is very durable.. my understanding the life of the echo saw as much greater than the stihl version. Thanks for your help and input in advance. Work safe.

Lots of negative threads on here about the MS250. Do some research first to see about each saw, as you are doing. But check the archives too. I am probably going to sell my MS250. It’s not my preferred saw so it sits.

I have had good service from my ms250, decent power to weight thanks to it's muffler mod, and it starts easy. It does seem to be a bit sensitive to tune compared to my other saws, different oil brands in the pre-mix or a change in the weather can throw it out of wack.
One of my first choices on any wood up to 14 or so inches, its light and handles nice. I run a 16" bar on mine with .325 chain and don't think I would put anything over 18" on it except maybe to cut some real soft wood.

If you're fully burying that 20" bar regularly you could benefit from a 60cc class saw.

The MS250 has a pretty good power/weight ratio for a homeowner saw but it's harder to start than a 45cc saw should be. If you're running your saw a lot it's worth spending a few hundred more a pro level saw. It will last longer, perform better and be more comfortable than a homeowner saw.

Yeah, my pick would be a nice used 357/359, or even a good 346 with a MM. If you really want max performance per pound put one of the later OEM 346xp top ends on the lighter 340/45/50 chasis... it won't be quite as robust but power to weight they are hard to beat

Lots of negative threads on here about the MS250. Do some research first to see about each saw, as you are doing. But check the archives too. I am probably going to sell my MS250. It’s not my preferred saw so it sits.
I was just about ready to buy one but the more I read said more they hard to start. I'm jumping off and excavator cutting some things up then jumping back on the excavator I don't need the frustration of a saw that's hard to start. I'd rather have one less power and more easily started than to fool with a saw I've got to court into starting.

Check out the Stihl 261 or 261 C-M, very nice saws but will likely be higher priced than the Echo 4510.
I have both echo dealers and Stihl dealers local. The Stihl dealers are much better at fixing things in my opinion here. But also I'm a little concerned that the stihl is overpriced. I could probably buy two of the Japanese made echo products for just a little bit more than the price of one 261. It looks like a good pro saw I'm just concerned with your durability and starting easily. It seems like the steels have a reputation of not starting very well and for what I'm doing that would be a huge frustration and waste of time which would also be a waste of money both on the saw and my ability to move quickly in the work. I wish I had some handle time behind all these models so I can make a better informed decision.

So I looked at the echo brand and picked them up today. Anyone familiar with the 361p. Vs 3510. Also 501p vs 4910 both are as similar cc but p series is suppose to be x series motors but I don't think the 361p is. And advise on the x series motor?

Latest posts

Back