Light weight durable saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short bar fan here. Having a 15-16” bar for that 590 will make it much more nimble for times you don’t need more bar. Chains are faster to sharpen, too, when the bar is shorter!

Run a 16” on my 625 with ported 272 top end. A lightsaber for blocking firewood!

40-50cc all wear 13”, except the Dolmar, which wears a 16”.

Consider grabbing a second bar/chain if you went longer on the 590. You might be glad you did.

true but it misses the whole point of the OP 45cc-50cc requirement.

Also no one would run a 32in bar on a 026/260 full time I'm sure the porter was just doing it to show that it could or at the customers request.

I'm going to buy a smaller saw. I'm looking at a ms250 versus a CS 4510. My understanding is the echo 4510 is much better built equipment. But would love to have expert information before I buy. If there is another saw in the 45 cc to 50cc range that can handle an 18 or 20 in blade and is durable and reliable I'm interested. I've used the older stills and like them but I'm not so fond of the newer stuff even though I have some. I just want a good durable saw and I do work like a logger but it's mostly conservation work and clean up work. So I like I saw that starts easily and is very durable.. my understanding the life of the echo saw as much greater than the stihl version. Thanks for your help and input in advance. Work safe.
I recommend opting for the Echo CS 4510 based on your requirements for durability and reliability. It's known for its robust build and longevity, which makes it well-suited for logging and conservation work. Additionally, it should handle an 18 or 20-inch blade without any issues. While Stihl makes good saws, if you prefer a saw that starts easily and has a longer lifespan, the Echo CS 4510 seems to be a better fit for your needs in the 45cc to 50cc range.

I ended up with a cs-590
Just an FYI: The comments are correct about the modifications to this saw, and, keeping it tuned and sharp. I assume you can handle all that if you run saws much. I feel that my 590 took quite a while to break in and keeps getting "stronger". My gut feeling is that it's due to a well built, "tightly spec'd" motor, but I have no data to support that. Just be patient and more power will come. I hope it serves you well.

So I looked at the echo brand and picked them up today. Anyone familiar with the 361p. Vs 3510. Also 501p vs 4910 both are as similar cc but p series is suppose to be x series motors but I don't think the 361p is. And advise on the x series motor?
I have a 361p as my small saw and love it. Plenty of power for what I use it for and it starts like a dream like all my Echo saws. 620PW 501P and 361P. I have a 352 as well as my loaner saw.

Short bar fan here. Having a 15-16” bar for that 590 will make it much more nimble for times you don’t need more bar. Chains are faster to sharpen, too, when the bar is shorter!

Run a 16” on my 625 with ported 272 top end. A lightsaber for blocking firewood!

Consider grabbing a second bar/chain if you went longer on the 590. You might be glad you did.
I have a couple zenoah clone 55cc saws they come with a crappy 20 inch bar, I use it for clearing atv trail cutting muddy trees. I bought a 15 inch oregon bar/chain for them, once the chain for the 20 inch bar is done it's getting tossed out, I like the 15 inch bar a lot more, the saw feels much smaller and lighter.
My 066 clone has the 24 inch bar it came with on it most of the time but I have a 16 for it too, it's silly fast blocking up wood with the short bar and a 8 pin, it's kinda fun lol.

If I only had one saw it would be a rebuilt husky 61/266/272 or a new echo 590 like the og poster on this thread ended up with, it's a good one saw plan.

I have a 361p as my small saw and love it. Plenty of power for what I use it for and it starts like a dream like all my Echo saws. 620PW 501P and 361P. I have a 352 as well as my loaner saw.
Smart man to have a dedicated loaner saw.thsnks for the info.

I'd rather have a 361p bit I can across a good deal on the cs590. Used it today for first time. No problems at all. It starts well and fast. Just to heavy for trimming comfortably. I guess I'll get stronger shoulders and arms or maybe just a sore back.

I may try that

Do you buy your chains and bars online? If so, suggestions? I may try a 16inch bar and chain.

dang, you sure like short bars, lol

Latest posts

Back