Which one to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a shame you don;t have any good Dolmar dealers in your area.
I paid less for my ported 7900 than the my local dealers will sell a stock 441 for.

None the less I think you will be very happy with the 441, unless you run one that has been ported. Hint Hint!!

Now as far as the funds from the wife, that's simple! Let her get cold enough and she will buy the saw for you!

The Dolmar dealer I got hold of quoted me 839.00 for the 7900. 30 bucks more than the 441 and a lot more of a drive, plus he didn't have any!

It's a shame you don;t have any good Dolmar dealers in your area.
I paid less for my ported 7900 than the my local dealers will sell a stock 441 for.

None the less I think you will be very happy with the 441, unless you run one that has been ported. Hint Hint!!

Now as far as the funds from the wife, that's simple! Let her get cold enough and she will buy the saw for you!

I can do pretty much anything mechanical. What exactly does this "porting" call for, and does it make that big a difference?

The Dolmar dealer I got hold of quoted me 839.00 for the 7900. 30 bucks more than the 441 and a lot more of a drive, plus he didn't have any!

Many moons ago, I had a decision similar to yours, regarding a "big" saw.
Considered the 7900, Husky 372 XP, and a 441.

The 7900 was about $100.00 less than the 441, and not really "proven" yet.
The 372 was a tad less than the 441, but the Husqvarna/Stihl dealer I was courting, advised against Husky due to a couple of old problems. One with the oilers leaking and the other of some of the plastic fuel tanks splitting.

Ended up getting a 441.

Looking back, likely any of the three would have been fine saws.

I can say, with all day fire wood cutting, the 441 is a joy to run.

If he's running a well tuned CS8000 you better get something bigger than a 044 440 441 372 or he'll still spank you in cutting speed. My CS8000 spanks my 044 bad. If he's running a CS670 you'ld be safe with any of those unless he has it worked over. Steve

I think it is the 600 something model. I can't get hold of him right now to find out for sure. I think I would have remembered an easy # like 8000, it seems it was cs618 or cs 615 something along those lines. I asked him the cc's and he didn't know and it wasn't marked, I knew that would make buying a saw easier...

Many moons ago, I had a decision similar to yours, regarding a "big" saw.
Considered the 7900, Husky 372 XP, and a 441.

The 7900 was about $100.00 less than the 441, and not really "proven" yet.
The 372 was a tad less than the 441, but the Husqvarna/Stihl dealer I was courting, advised against Husky due to a couple of old problems. One with the oilers leaking and the other of some of the plastic fuel tanks splitting.

Ended up getting a 441.

Looking back, likely any of the three would have been fine saws.

I can say, with all day fire wood cutting, the 441 is a joy to run.
You know, I think I'm gonna like this saw.

After throwing in some zip codes from Georgia and Florida, it appears the saw I want is cheaper HERE where I actually live. Since I am going to be in both of those states in about a month, I was going to look around and see if I could pick it up down there a little cheaper, but it doesn't appear so.

It was VERY embarrassing! But it was taken with the knowledge that my little craftsman is only a 46cc and WHO KNOWS how many cc's that monster was, but it had at least a 24 inch bar and I did run it. It was almost TOO FAST through oak! What I came away with is that there are better saws that aren't made in Japan, and I can get one of them. Plus this guy is all about how he only gets the best of everything, however, he kept telling me how the salesman told him that the saw he got was as good as a Stihl, but less money. SOOOOOO I think that tells me he should have gotten a Stihl! If I were selling them I'd say the same thing!

My experience the other day was very enlightening mostly due to the fact that he was so much faster than my saw (& he only had an ECHO!) and I could get a whole lot more wood cut in a whole lot less time with a great saw! See I went after working all night and we loaded a trailer and two pickups within 4 hours. Thats after my saw took a dump! My chain started running so slowly the engine wouldn't turn it, it may have been the extremely cold temps freezing the oil, but I don't know. I have yet to look at it.

I'm gonna call a couple places in the area today about the prices on the Dolmar, I do like the looks of it. Why no comments on the reds? It seems years ago I heard good things about them.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, this has been a huge help and from some very experienced sawmen! From the looks of things it looks like I couldn't have gone to a better place for advice!
If you are running a 46cc craftsman, just find a good used Makita (green/blu Dolmar) DSC6401..you can buy these for a fraction of what the new saws being discussed here will set you back....I got a decent one for $200 and a near new one for $320. This saw is a HUGE and SCARY escalation in power level from the craftsman. Use and learn to handle the 6401, Unless you cut big stuff for a living, it is more than enough. In closing, get safety gear and run a sharp chain.

I think it is the 600 something model. I can't get hold of him right now to find out for sure. I think I would have remembered an easy # like 8000, it seems it was cs618 or cs 615 something along those lines. I asked him the cc's and he didn't know and it wasn't marked, I knew that would make buying a saw easier...

Echo only makes a CS670 CS600 nowdays, all of the above saws should beat him unless he has it ported. Steve

If you haven't handled a 441 yet I strongly suggest you spend some time doing so. I was all set to buy a 441 until I held it. The new av springs stihl uses give it a very jello-y, disconnected feel. Two dealers I talked to said they seem to hold up ok, but just didnt like it. Same weight as the 460 too and even though the 441 is a little more hippie freindly wiyh its better emissions and less fuel useage, I saved up a little more and went 460. many members here seem to think a441 can take a 460 but ive ssen them run side by side at the paul bunyon fest in cambridge, stock the 460 is a faster and willing to bet more durable saw. And the vibes of the 460 arent that bad. I also got to try a 576 once. it felt heavier than my 460 and didnt seem to have as nice of a power band. very very smooth running though. If I was to do it again I wouldve ordered a 390xp from spike60 or madsens. Not much more thsn I paid for the 460. Also there is a good jred dealer in big prarie, oh. Don't know how close that is to you

Last edited:

bailey's has the makita which is a dolmar in makita blue.its the 6401 which is 64cc but you can get it with a big bore kit which makes it 84cc's for $594.00 with 20'' b&c.that is a great deal.check out the site.(baileysonline.com)this saw is a monster and it only weighs 13.6 pounds.

If I didn't have a good Dolmar dealer and was looking for quality saws, I would get a 441 and 261 Stihl.

Like I said a quality dealer is the key from my stand point.

If he's running a well tuned CS8000 you better get something bigger than a 044 440 441 372 or he'll still spank you in cutting speed. My CS8000 spanks my 044 bad. If he's running a CS670 you'ld be safe with any of those unless he has it worked over. Steve

I think I may have been wrong in my previous statement.:monkey: I went to a local dealer today that sells both Stihl and Echo, I picked up both saws the 441 and the 8000 Echo.

I liked the feel of the Echo more than the 441. That was just my first impression though. JMHO Everyone has there own favorites I guess.

After throwing in some zip codes from Georgia and Florida, it appears the saw I want is cheaper HERE where I actually live. Since I am going to be in both of those states in about a month, I was going to look around and see if I could pick it up down there a little cheaper, but it doesn't appear so.

where are you going to be? i'm in SE GA.

I'll be in Tampa. But my dad lives in Hartwell and I spent ten days there in October. WE spent time cutting lots of trees down. Lots of time with this tiny saw I have right now. That was a fun trip.

i used to work for a company based in Hartwell. i have spent a lot of time there.

it sounds like you may have the skills to turn your own wrenches on a saw. generally, if they are working when you take them out of the box, then you should have many hours of trouble-free use. i would highly recommend you look at the makita (dolmar) 6401 and either the 84cc after-market kit or the 79cc OEM kit to upgrade the saw. they are monsters when you do the change. it is a very easy swap and lots of us have done them and can help you if you get stuck. i would look at bailey's for their prices. they have great prices and customer service.

I loved it there in that area. Helena was a nice day trip and we picked up some grains form the old mill there. I may be looking to move that way in about 6 or 7 years, Ohio is too cold in the winter.

I do believe I could mod one of these babies with the right parts. Course I will have to actually get the saw and run it a couple times first. Then maybe put it on the bench for an upgrade.

This web site has certainly been fun to check out! A whole bunch of helpful hints and advice. I'll be sure to stick around and read, don't have a lot to say about the number of chainsaws I own because I don't have but the one... And it ain't gettin' a list started! The only thing it has done is tell me that I need a new one!

Merry Christmas fellas! I'm gonna go pick up one or two last little things for the wife and then relax the rest of the day in preparation for tonight. The little ones are gonna love tomorrow morning.

I'm in central Ohio as well, are you anywhere near Mount Vernon?

There are plenty of dealers to support Stihls and Husqvarna's here. Most are Amish owned these days, they seem to be the only ones who can stay afloat in this economy. I deal mostly with Fishers Engine Service (Husqvarna), just North of Fredericktown. They've been in business longer than most, and are a great source for parts, and usually have all models in stock.....Cliff

Actually I am in central Oh. Just a little bit east of Columbus, in the Pickerington area. Mt vernon isn't too far off.

576 or Stihl 460. Can't go wrong. Just pick the best dealer. Stay away from the 441 (sawed logs with one for a month- that's all I am going to say :deadhorse:) - good luck - Sam

Latest posts

Back