which owb to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What should I expect to pay for a 5036? Northland quoted me about 6400 for everything but I can't find a review for any of their products. thanks

Not sure...I bought mine "slightly" used, Jan. 08...$5500...me thinks they are probably $6.5-$7K now. Might be worth it to ask your dealer 'bout a used one. Every CB dealer seems to have one that was "too small", and installed a larger one...I should have bought a '48, mainly for the larger firebox/door, extra water capacity.

What should I expect to pay for a 5036? Northland quoted me about 6400 for everything but I can't find a review for any of their products. thanks

Last October I was quoted $6500 for the 5036 and $8400 for the 6048. That was for the unit only. Total cost for me was around $12000 which included 120 feet of logstor pipe, 40 plate heat exchanger, concrete pad and all the other fittings I needed to hook it up. It adds up quick.

We are just completing our first year with a Taylor T-450 and are VERY pleased. The unit had no problems heating our domestic hot water and approximately 2000 square feet of living space. We made up our own pipe per the dealer's instructions using pvc pipe, insulatioin, duct tape, and black plastic pipe.

I know Central doesn't list a square footage recomendation for their burners, but does anyone know about what the 4030 will handle? Also, I've requested info from them and received nothing...local dealer in western Pa? thanks

Well, I currently have a 4030 heating 1900ft2. I live in roscommon michigan in the northern lower peninsula, so it does get cold here but not too extreme. I have purchased the 5036 model to increase my burn times. In our coldest weather I can only get 9-10hrs max burn. Our house was built in 03 and seems to be well insulated, but we do have an enormous amount of windows on one side of the house. In addition, our ceiling height in the living room/dining room is 18ft at the peak. We have a chalet or "A" frame as some say. If our house didn't have the tall ceiling I think I would get more burn time, but that is only conjecture. I will say, I am very happy overall with the boiler and haven't bought any propane since late winter 07. I am looking forward to the 5036 however.:greenchainsaw:

I have a 18 year old Taylor T450 and 2 year old T500CB. I am very pleased with the company/service. There are alot of them in my area that are from ten to twenty years old and work great!
We are just completing our first year with a Taylor T-450 and are VERY pleased. The unit had no problems heating our domestic hot water and approximately 2000 square feet of living space. We made up our own pipe per the dealer's instructions using pvc pipe, insulatioin, duct tape, and black plastic pipe.

Now I know why no one here has a Northland. They just contacted me and said shipping is free but I would have to have the means to unload it. 2000 lbs. on a semi. It has a lifting hook on top but the top is 11 feet off the ground. Oh well. At least that narrows my search a little.

Which OWB

I struggled between CB and Heatmor. I think if it were not for the fact that the CB dealer is closer I might have gone with Heatmor. I think the forced draft does better with wetter or green wood and large rounds. I will say I have been pleased with how little my E-Classic has burned. I have a 1700 sq foot log cabin kit with poor windows. I have burned 5 cords since firing up last fall.

Pete

Now I know why no one here has a Northland. They just contacted me and said shipping is free but I would have to have the means to unload it. 2000 lbs. on a semi. It has a lifting hook on top but the top is 11 feet off the ground. Oh well. At least that narrows my search a little.

That is typical. We went and picked up the CB boiler at the dealer, and he put it on our one ton PU with a fork lift. They have fork lift slots on them. It was too heavy for our tractor bucket to lift, so we had to pay a guy $100 to come out and hoist the boiler from the PU to the slab with a back hoe via the lifting loop at the top. They are heavy muthers. Lots of thick steel plate.

I also have a e-classic and love it. No problems other than humane error(cleanig out ashes).I have used around 15 face cord since nov 1. This heats a 1600 sq ft house using a boiler with an in zone water heater. Very little smoke .I would recomend .

Esh. Face cords. Assuming 7 full cords. Also can you guys list the type of wood that you are burning? Makes a huge difference when people are estimating expected wood use.

It does sound like the E-classic is a lot better though. We burned 8-10 cords (4x4x8 cords) per winter of mixed wood: mostly Doug and grand fir, alder, aok, madrone, and 'other'.

global hydronics

I have a hawken energy owb, they are made by global hydronics I am very happy with this model it has forced air which other companies say is a bad thing that the heat goes out the chimney but for somereason I go through less wood than them. I have two friends that have classics and they are happy with theirs except they smoke a lot more than mine. you might check them out.
jmho
Ben

I saw some Hawkens at a local dealer just across the Ohio line. They were closed at the time, but I'll have to stop and see them. What kind of money are you talking with them? I have a buddy with a Mahoning and he loves it. It also has the forced air fan instead of the draft and he didn't use very much wood at all this winter.

global hydronics

I think I gave around 5500 for the furnace but that was a few years ago before steel went up. The on ethat I have is stainless steel which they have since quit making because the price went up so much they said they could not compete. A friend of mine bought a hawken triple fuel, he actually traded in his owb for it because the owb had a leak in one of the welds that could not be repaired. They replaced it without any questions which was really good he just paid the difference in the upgrade. Anyway he absolutely loves it, it will burn coal, cob corn, or wood. He is burning coal he say's he loads it up in the morning and doesn't have to worry about it all for a couple of day's and right now coal is cheap. if it goes up he can switch back to wood.
just a thought.
if I had to do it again that would be the only thing I would change.
hth
Ben

I have no idea

southwest ohio. The stove came from old oak outdoor furnaces. I installed it myself but he made sure that I had everything and coached me through it, he definitly went above and beyond. The central boilers do have one thing going for them that I like because it is natural draft, if a fellow installed a 12volt circulation pump with floor heat he could in fact heat, he could heat his house and hot water from a couple of car batteries recharged with solar panels. I have to have 110 for the fan in the front right now but I would like to find a way around that. I did do a lot of looking before I bought the hawken and it is very hard to decide what to get I was pulling my hair out before it was done.

I've had a Classic for just over two years. I use it to heat the house (radiator in the forced air furnace, and in-floor heating in the basement). I also use it for DHW. I have had a problem with the furnace overheating and boiling. Recently it has become worse and the dealer suggested I change the temp monitor (the brains of the unit). So far so good with the new unit.

One other thing, I don't burn in the summer time, and my electric bill actually goes up due to the electric hot water heater being used instead of the OWB.

Beagle

There is a dealer in Cranberry township.Near franklin. Fisher and Father. The sell the whole line and all parts. Plus John deer and Stihl.............

Back