Which saw: Stihl or Husqvarna or other?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSChamber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals... I am a new member to the board (great board by the way, lots of information) and I need some advice on which saw I should get.

I will be cutting firewood for my own personal use... and I usually only burn about 3 or 4 cords per year. For years I would just help the father-in-law cut and haul the wood but this year I am going to cut it myself (with his help and use of his four wheeler Honda Foreman). I can use a chainsaw and feel comfortable using one. I have been using a chainsaw off and on since I was 16 when I used to cut a couple of cords of pulpwood each winter for a local mill for beer money :) ). I have used the FIL's Stihl MS250 and have no problem using it. I got a Homelite UT10580 (what a piece of junk) that I have been using for a few years around the house but I wouldn't use that to cut firewood because it wouldn't last a day I figure plus I would have to have a tanker truck full of bar oil following me through the woods because this saw uses an extreme amount of bar oil (not sure why).

Most of the wood we are cutting in is anywhere between 6-14", and it is usually spruce, var, some juniper, and on rare occasion birch..occasionally we come across big wood which could have a butt of 18" -24" or bigger, but we normally leave those, just too much handling for firewood and the fact that we are not supposed to cut them as per the local forestry laws concerning firewood.

Anyway...I have my choice down to either a Stihl MS230 or a Husqvarna 440e series. From everything I have read and spoke to, I think all I need is a 40 cc saw.

Looking at them on paper they stack up pretty evenly and there is a dealer/service depot for both saws within 10 minutes of my house. I called both and of course both had great things to say about their respective saws and good stuff about their competitor's saw.

I can get the Husky for $399 with a 16" bar, an extra chain, carrying case, and a ball cap (lol)... comes with a 2 years manufacturers warranty and if I buy a case of oil ($8) I get an additional 1 years warranty.

I can get the Stihl for $349 with a 16" bar, an extra chain, carrying case, and a ball cap (lol)... comes with a 1 year manufacturers warranty and if I buy a case of oil ($12) I get an additional 1 years warranty.

I was leaning towards the Husky until I saw that the 440e has that "tooless" chain tensioner and the bar is held on with what looks like one big plastic wheel thingy through the side cover. My Homelite has the same "feature" and I have to say I think it's junk and I can never keep a proper tension on the chain due the wheel backing off...now maybe the Husky has a better system (I would hope so considering it's reputation) but it does have me apprehensive. The Stihl looks to be bolted on with two bolts like you would traditionally see so that kind of has me leaning in that direction.

Can I get some real world feedback for both saws to help me make up my mind....

The STIHL

stihl-ms-230-b.jpg

Specs: STIHL Canada - Products

The Husqvarna

big.jpg

Specs: HUSQVARNA 440 e-series - Allround saws

Only two views and no responses? Can anyone lend some advice?

As a quick update: I went to both dealers today and physically picked up each saw. I have to say that the Husky felt better in my hands, it felt sturdy and well put together eventhough there is a lot of plastic. It was also balanced really nice. The Stihl didn't leave me the same impression, it felt like if I dropped it it would break into a bunch of pieces, maybe it was the all plastic handle that just didn't give that "tactile" feel of sturdiness. It also didn't balance well in my hands. I don't know maybe I'm nuts :)

The only thing that I am unsure about is the Husky's tool-less chain tensioner and that round wing nut assembly that holds the side cover and bar on. The dealer said he has never had anyone having any issues with this system, he said if I were a person that takes care of his tools (like regular maintenance and cleaning..which I do) it should last for years and years, but he is a dealer and I wouldn't say he has had exposure to this new system for very long (not sure how long Husky has been using this on their consumer saws). I know that the FIL would not approve since he is as old school as they come when it comes to chain saws, if it don't have "two nuts and a screw" then it will definitely break and get messed up in the long run, he has never used this "new" system before and probably never will. Maybe he is right.... hence why I am here trying to get some kind of real world feedback. I think if the Husky had the traditional bolt/screw setup I would have bought it already.... just got a good vibe from the dealer.

Please help! :)

if you go to husqavarnas web site they have a 450 series that has the traditional two nut set up.and also its 50 cc so more power.and its only $369.95 dollars so its cheaper.i think your dealer might be trying to make a quick buck on you .i would definetly look at the 450.would make a good fire wood saw.also if you have a dolmar dealer anywhere around check out there stuff , there saws are of pro quality at great prices,i have a dolmar ps 510 that i got for $350.00dollars and its a great saw. i cut lots of red oak with it up to 30 inches in diameter and it has no problems handling it,so you can imagine what it do on smaller stuff.hope this helps.:chainsawguy:

Ok, it sounds like you're cutting a (relatively) small about of small wood.

I'd say if there's good dealer support, go with a Stihl MS250. You say you've run one with no problem and I doubt your FIL would criticize the same saw he has. It's about a half hp more, and no one complains about buying a saw too powerful.

Also, here in the states a 250 runs about $300 bucks. Not sure what the 230 runs here, because all the website shows is the Duro 230.

For what it's worth, I don't generally think the cases are worthwhile. It's just something else to keep up with in the woods, and after a while they all get filthy inside with oil and chips and the like. When my saws aren't in the woods, they're in a garage, so weather isn't usually a concern.

Don't forget to get some good safety gear, too!

Good luck and let us know!

Last edited:
Skip both.

Grab a MS250, or find a Husky 350/450.

The 230 is no Gem. Not bad for a knockabout but you should be able to get into a 250 for just a few bucks more.

Best bet is to go with a GOOD used saw, bought from a decent joe.

There used to be a trading post on this site...lotsa good saws and most at a fair price.
Maybe they will get around to getting it back up.

Look for a used 026 025 028 or used husky 350's, and sometimes there are good deals on a 346xp.

It's just firewood, but ya don't have to make it miserable work by running a slow and boring saw.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

both choices are no good;

@ 1. Get a Stihl, no question about it
@ 2. 230 is a bad choice because for only 300$ you can get a MS250; so for the same money you get 45cc and 3hp in an under 5 kilo saw.
better yet, if weight doesn`t bother you for extra 50$ you can have the 56 cc perfect allaround MS290 FarmBoss with 3.8 hp.

now some will say bad things about farm boss but it is #1 selling Stihl. that means something.

Answered your own question

The husky felt better to you, and YOU are the dude gonna be runnin' the saw. Just pick a similar model husky with the bar studs.

Or just look around used and get two saws instead.....I used to go out with just one saw, and.....now I don't, it just isn't prudent...don't ask me how I know this...

Thanks for the replies... I was starting to think that maybe my post wasn't showing up or something.

Anyway...I should have stated that I am in Newfoundland, Canada... hence why the prices look higher than what you see on sites and most likely what you guys can get in the States....

1. The $399 for the 440e Husqvarna is the going price new around here...
2. The $349 is the going price for the 230 Stihl... I never priced the 250 but I would imagine that it's probably anywhere around $400 - $450 ..but I will ask about it today. I am not

3. No Dolmar dealers anywhere near me
4. The Stihl dealer also carries Echo saws but they were higher priced than the Stihl but carried a 5 year warranty.
5. Basically in these parts I think all I have to choose from is Stihl and Husqvarna... I think there is a Jonsred dealer as well but is maybe an 1 or 2 hours drive from where I live.

Never thought about getting a used saw... I have seen some local Classified ads with saws for sale but they are "well used" bordering on "over used" and abused plus asking big money. There is a Stihl dealer who sells used saws fairly close to me but I think they usually sell their retired "rental" saws (they are a tool rental place as well), so who knows what kind of shape they would be in and I think it's no warranty implied, you buy it "as is where is" sort of thing, but I will give them a ring to see what they got.

One thing I don't want to get in the woods and have to fight with a fussy, contrary saw that has to have all the planets lined up just right before it will work... I'd just as soon take the saw and bury it than fight with it...I'm in the woods, several miles from civilization, you can only take so much gear before it gets ridiculous if y'all know what I mean. I don't mind doing maintenance, I actually like doing it on all of my tools and toys... but when I pull the cord I want the thing to work. Hence why I am aprehensive about buying used. Sure these things can happen to a new saw but the chance is a whole lot less.

So what about these new fandangled "tool less" chain tensioners and side cover thingys... Yah or Nah... stay away from it?

The Husky dealer also carries a 445 model which has the standard two nuts and a screw setup.... might inquire on the price of that as well.

Oh yeah... I hear ya on the safety gear, you can never be too safe.

Just another thought, warranties

Cutting 4 cords a year for yourself makes the purchase ethically and accurately a "homeowner" sale, as such, the current best homeowner warranties are echo, five years, and tanaka, 7 years.

i would look for a used stihl 361, or a husky 357 or 359. all are great saws for a one saw plan.

btw, a 250 is a very dependable saw and would be ok, as would a 445/450. but both are smaller and less powerful than i would want if i have 14" wood to cut on a regular basis.

You might be able to get a new Husqvarna saw cheaper by ordering it online or from one of the Ebay sellers that ship to Canada. No restrictions shipping non pro saws. I would look for a 350, 445 or 450.

Thanks for the replies... I was starting to think that maybe my post wasn't showing up or something.

Anyway...I should have stated that I am in Newfoundland, Canada... hence why the prices look higher than what you see on sites and most likely what you guys can get in the States.... .

Know what you mean.. frankly makes little sense. Even when our dollar is at par, or above the US it is still more... and when we buy on line at US sites they still charge us more (somebody making money on that conversion!).. You also pay a bit more in Newfoundland simply because of location and market there being quite small - unfortunately you are somewhat used to that!! (don't tell them on here what you are paying for a gallon of gasoline.. will scare them all)

1. The $399 for the 440e Husqvarna is the going price new around here...
2. The $349 is the going price for the 230 Stihl... I never priced the 250 but I would imagine that it's probably anywhere around $400 - $450 ..but I will ask about it today. I am not

3. No Dolmar dealers anywhere near me
4. The Stihl dealer also carries Echo saws but they were higher priced than the Stihl but carried a 5 year warranty.
5. Basically in these parts I think all I have to choose from is Stihl and Husqvarna... I think there is a Jonsred dealer as well but is maybe an 1 or 2 hours drive from where I live.

Well, when reading post initially, I was about to offer some other good options. Most people always go to Stihl and Husqvarna.. both good saws.. but there are a couple of other good brands out there as well.

But seems that Stihl and Husqvarna dealers are what you have in neighborhood.

Find a good dealer, one who you trust and who will support you and go for it.

Would however recommend something a bit bigger, if you can afford it.

Never thought about getting a used saw... I have seen some local Classified ads with saws for sale but they are "well used" bordering on "over used" and abused plus asking big money. There is a Stihl dealer who sells used saws fairly close to me but I think they usually sell their retired "rental" saws (they are a tool rental place as well), so who knows what kind of shape they would be in and I think it's no warranty implied, you buy it "as is where is" sort of thing, but I will give them a ring to see what they got..

I have never had much luck with use saws, but there are some out there (especially estate sales or auctions.. where saw not used much).. most used saws unfortunately are tired and are being sold for a reason. (especially the pro saws.. most that I have bought used were not a great bargain and needed some work done to get them up to proper performance levels.. sounded good when started -- but put them in for a couple of hours hard work and the reality comes to light).

i would look for a used stihl 361, or a husky 357 or 359. all are great saws for a one saw plan.

Got are good saws.. if you can find a 361 in good shape.. grab it. But even used it will be more likely than you are looking at.

Unfortunately on eBay the Stihl's are pricey.. but people getting the prices for them so that is why they are high.

I've never over-paid for a saw from Baileys, and the price was cheaper than any Canadian price. The extra cost was S&H, which included all taxes and no brokerage fees, typically $30. Also, bought when the Loonie was higher that it's usual 90cents. EBay sellers often boost their markup with S&H. Baileys may have sales prices on the Mak/Dolmars, good saws.

The local dealers may be you best bet. Don't know if there's a Crappy Tire or Sears near you, but their brands (not the best) may help with price.

There's a lot of wisdom in the preceeding posts, and ArboristSite is the right place to get every imaginable opinion on "What saw to buy"...

Of course there's the economocal route: Get the least-expensive home-owner saw with a good warrantee, and cut your 4 cords a year and be dreaming about fishing while you're cutting...

Get a solid mid-priced saw with more power...it ups the fun-factor considerably, and the job gets done quicker...maybe you can grab yer rod and reel later and cast a few...

Bust loose for a powerful Pro saw...Not cheap, but rebuildable and will probably last yer lifetime if cared for well. Plus, it will be FUN to run...blasting through wood like a Warrior...and fishing? Who wants to go fish? I wanna CUT SOME MORE WOOD!

Have fun Brother, whatever you choose, and Saw Safe...:cheers:

The reason that I mentioned the Dolmar 420 is that I don't like the options listed - the 440 because of low power (for the indicated use) and the chain adjuster, and the MS250 simply isn't a nice saw.
In that perspective, the Dolmar makes sence, and I believe Dolmar prices are reasonable in Canada.

I've never over-paid for a saw from Baileys, and the price was cheaper than any Canadian price.

Makes one wonder doesn't it.

The extra cost was S&H, which included all taxes and :heart:ees, typically $30.

Ship via USPS -- saves brokerage fees.

Also, bought when the Loonie was higher that it's usual 90cents.

Well it is par right now!! Actually closing yesterday was $1.0054 -- so slightly above US $.

EBay sellers often boost their markup with S&H.

Isn't that the truth!!

The local dealers may be you best bet.

Agreed..

Don't know if there's a Crappy Tire or Sears near you, but their brands (not the best) may help with price.

Well interesting you say that.. Canadian Tire sells some Husqvarna saws..
Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw, 38 cc / 18-in | Canadian Tire

Interesting .. although likely built in China (as are the lower end Stihl products now - allowing them to better compete in lower end market)..

STIHL Power tools

Sears only Craftsman and Poulin.. not my pick.

And there is Home Depot which has Echo.

I am not a big fan of big box stores.. although Canadian Tire has a bullet proof warranty in our area at least.

Latest posts

Back