Which saw: Stihl or Husqvarna or other?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niko, i have to disagree with you on the 250. i have many, many hours on an 025. it served well, and is light and reasonably strong, smooth enough, and was very dependable. it handled a 16" bar fine. i don't know how it compares to the other saws mentioned here, but it is a very competent saw and can usually be bought for <$300US. it now sits unused bc of saws like the 346, but in it role and for its cost, it don't have anything bad to say about it.

I agree that the MS250 is light and reasonably strong, but virtually nothing else is nice with it. :D
It is mostly an academic question anyway at this point, as it is being replaced by the MS251.

Seriously, get some safety gear; it adds to the bottomline, but you won't end up looking like a limbless Klingon...

Definitely noted.... didn't pick up anything today because the dealer didn't have much of a selection but I will before I head into the woods to cut.

What do y'all suggest? I would assume that a good helmet/face screen and pair of safety pants would be a good start......

Ok folks... deal is done. I picked up my Husqvarna 445 this morning. I decided on going with a smaller bar than the 18" that came with the saw.... so I got the dealer to put a 15" Husky Bar, 3/8" Pitch, .058" Gauge. I could have went with a 16" bar that was .050 gauge but decided on running the slightly thicker chain.

Got it home, gassed/oiled it up, went through all of the familiarization steps in the manual and fired it up, took a bit of coaxing but once she got going all was fine (and every start afterwards was really easy). I was then looking around the yard for something to cut up, haha, I had a 4' length of seasoned 12" birch and put the saw to the task..... cut through it like a hot knife through butter, Woo! It actually caught me a bit off guard because I wasn't used to a saw eating it's way through a piece of wood that fast before (my 42cc Homelite - "Ronald McDonald" saw would cut through that piece of birch but you would know it was working hard). I had to contain myself to not cut down any of our big maples... lol... I can imagine the look on the wife's face when she got home and I in the middle of a pile of saw chips with all of the maples chopped down.... hahahaha

The FIL approved the purchase and gave it some scrutiny and decided that it would be just fine to come along with his Stihl MS250 :) .... so I will give it a good workout next Tuesday when we go in to cut some wood. I will report back on my impression of the saw in actual use.

I would like to say that this post and the replies from the members definitely help shape my decision. At first I was going to go with a 40cc saw, but come to realize that it would have let me down in the long run so it was down between the MS250 and the 445.... in the end the 445 won me over for a few reasons.

1. It just felt better in my hands... can't explain other than that
2. I got a really good vibe from the Husky dealer, he was experienced, knowledgeable, friendly and never tried to pressure me into any purchase. The Stihl dealer, while polite and knowledgeable didn't give me that same experience, he put the "Sales face" on and was trying to push me in a few different ways

3. The Husky has 3 years warranty... the Stihl has 2 years. Maybe not a deal breaker but I will sure be a happy camper if for some reason at the 2.5 year mark something goes wrong :)

This is a great site and I haven't even been able to attempt to read all of the great information. Kudos to the site builders and all of the contributors.

And of course.... since it "never happened" without pics... here's the proof of the deal..

The all important "Ball Cap" shot... lol... I think the Stihl cap was nicer but I will wear this one with pride ;)

DSC02307.jpg

And the saw itself.

DSC02308.jpg

46 cc should be better for a light firewood saw than less

I have a 435, 41 cc, good light nimble saw for limbing, but if I wanted to cut firewood,
I would use the 55 or the old heavy Poulan 4200 for larger wood.

1. It just felt better in my hands... can't explain other than that

that's how I ended up with a 361 instead of a 290 or 391

...and it was only mentioned once in the replies, but get a second saw...seriously

not just for "saw won't run/start/etc" happenings, but for the inevitable "um...my saw's stuck...now what?"

just a cheapo of your preferred brand works...plus you'll get a second ball cap ;)

I only have two saws (runnin') at the moment, and I feel deprived

If you can't swing a second saw

Get some plastic falling wedges or fab some wooden ones, sometimes you can get
free from a pinch with them.

Ok folks... deal is done. I picked up my Husqvarna 445 this morning. I decided on going with a smaller bar than the 18" that came with the saw.... so I got the dealer to put a 15" Husky Bar, 3/8" Pitch, .058" Gauge. I could have went with a 16" bar that was .050 gauge but decided on running the slightly thicker chain.

Congrats!! Think you will be more than satisfied.

Congratulations on your new saw. Buy your chaps and ear protection sooner than later and get in the habit of wearing it all the time. Another chain or two will come in useful too...

Have a good time and be safe.

Thanks all... I will be getting a set of safety chaps/brain bucket in the next day or two before I head in to cut the wood....I am all about safety, it only takes one time to leave you messed up and if you can prevent that with the right gear then it's money well spent... doesn't matter if you are cutting 5 cords or 50.... it only takes one slip with the saw or a busted branch to fall on your head. I know how to handle a saw and I don't feel over powered by this saw at all but I respect what a chainsaw can do to a person. I am also comfortable felling and bucking trees, done it before and was taught the right way to fall a tree... main thing I was taught was to always keep your focus on what you are doing and to keep a watch of what's going on around you.

As for the second saw... I have one already, my Homelite UT10580... I changed the stock/flimsy 18" bar with a better 16" Carlton Hobby Champ bar and chain. I don't like the way the bar attaches and the chain tensioner is a piece of crap but apparently it can cut firewood... I gave it to the FIL the other day to sharpen the chain for me.. after he sharpened it he took it along with him in the woods to try it out... he cut a nice bit of wood with it and said he didn't have any troubles with it so I guess it's a capable back up saw. Plus anytime I will be cutting the FIL will be there as well with his 250 Stihl and his own back up saw (think it's a older Craftsman)...

Here's what I like to call the Ronald McDonald Saw :)

DSC04753.jpg

Can't wait to get in the woods and put in a hard days work.... :)

Thanks all... I will be getting a set of safety chaps/brain bucket in the next day or two before I head in to cut the wood...:)

Good idea..!! Most guys that I know who are in the industry professionally have a nick or two somewhere on their body.. not something to be proud of.. but a fact of working in the industry. 30 yrs ago there was not nearly as much PPE as there is today, and more guys got a scar or two over time. Buy it and use it..

Here's what I like to call the Ronald McDonald Saw :)

DSC04753.jpg

Interesting saw :) Looks like the chain is tightened just about right.. !! :bang:

Congrats! Glad you got what feels good to you, and kudos for making an informed decision. Sweet hat, too!

There's just something about that new saw smell.

Interesting saw :) Looks like the chain is tightened just about right.. !!

That's the super low friction bar and chain combo! Uses much less oil and won't eat the crank bearings (or wood, for that matter)!

That's the super low friction bar and chain combo! Uses much less oil and won't eat the crank bearings (or wood, for that matter)!

Ah.. have to include that in our shop manuals, maybe we set all of our saws that way :yoyo: -- may save us money on chains and oil.. course we may loose on production .. :(

HAHA... yeah you'd think someone would have at least tighten the chain before taking that pic... I mean it does come with the tool less chain tensioner :) ... haha..

Ok folks... deal is done. I picked up my Husqvarna 445 this morning. I decided on going with a smaller bar than the 18" that came with the saw.... so I got the dealer to put a 15" Husky Bar, 3/8" Pitch, .058" Gauge. I could have went with a 16" bar that was .050 gauge but decided on running the slightly thicker chain. ....

Congrats, that model has gained a very good reputation in a short time!

I am sure that .325 chain would perform better than 3/8" on the 445 though - where did the idea of putting 3/8" on it come from?

My 345 has been great. I havent had one problem with it. I think you made a good decision.

Congrats, that model has gained a very good reputation in a short time!

I am sure that .325 chain would perform better than 3/8" on the 445 though - where did the idea of putting 3/8" on it come from?

Sorry my mistake... the pitch is .325" ... the thickness is .058" thick as opposed to .050" thick chain that came with the saw on the 18" bar.

Latest posts

Back