Which saw: Stihl or Husqvarna or other?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a 445 and I liked it. I ran the heck out of it in a short time and it never let me down. Id still have it if I didnt out grow it.....and I liked it better than my dads ms250, but thats just me.

SawTroll, when I bought my Mak/Dolmar, I was worried about the chain at 0.325; you assured me it would not only be ok but better than 3/8. You were right! It's a terrific chain; the small difference (a 64th?) makes a difference for the better.

SawTroll, when I bought my Mak/Dolmar, I was worried about the chain at 0.325; you assured me it would not only be ok but better than 3/8. You were right! It's a terrific chain; the small difference (a 64th?) makes a difference for the better.

It does work better.. especially if the saw is a bit smaller. In fact the smallest saws we use (35cc) have what they call a pico chain, forget the measurement of it but think it is 0.25.. ! (btw -- 0.325 to 3/8 is 1/20")

Husky, with both 16" & 18" bars. I think mom&pop will do well by you. Jons is now owned by Husqvarna.

Husquavarna and Jonered are owned by Electrolux, since the early 1990s I believe.

You have been wise to be mindful of the advice you receive. There is some cheerleading here, but more on other sites. Nonetheless, you will not go wrong with either Stihl, Husquavarna or Jonsered, in no particular order, as long as you do not buy their low-end saws. The quality of the dealer in your area was a factor in your decision too, as it should be for most. Some are good, some are sleazy, wanting nothing but sales with no service. Good luck, play it safe, and enjoy it all.

Last edited:
DSC04753.jpg

Thought I would add here that I found out that the chain on this saw is a 3/8" pitch, .050" guage, with 56 drive links.... when I replaced the bar with a 16" Carlton I only looked at the drive links and gauge, never put any thought to the pitch, but I guess I got it right because it works just fine ... lol...

Latest posts

Back