Which saw to replace my 041?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro330

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I am debating what my next saw should be and would appreciate some input. I live on 10 acres of red oaks which are suffering from oak wilt. I am not a heavy user, but I need a saw that can cut 30"+ red oaks when one dies or goes down. I used a 50cc Poulan for the first two years here (that was a waste of money) and have been using a pair of Stihl 041 saws since then. They do the job, but it would be nice to have something that vibrates less.

I have been reading threads and talked with guys at the local dealer. It looks like a MS261, MS362, or MS391 are the prime candidates. The dealer is pushign the 391 hard over the 261 based on power, though I don't know that I would need more power than what the 261 puts out. I'm thinking the 362 is overkill for my needs. Prices are as follows:
261: $570
391: $570
362: $750

What say you all? Thanks in advance.

My 362 does a good job but I can’t imagine cutting 30” oak with it all day. It will do it but just doesn’t have the torque that a bigger saw has. I still use my 041 Super for bigger trees.
Definitely not a 261.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 362 does a good job but I can’t imagine cutting 30” oak with it all day. It will do it but just doesn’t have the torque that a bigger saw has. I still use my 041 Super for bigger trees.
Definitely not a 261.

What size bar?

Get the 362 and run a 20 inch bar. It’s light enough to do a lot. If you need the bigger saws you have them but I think you will be able to cut more than you will realize with a 20 inch bar. I would pick either of the pro saws over the 391 it’s heavy and has less power than the 362.

I have a 362 and a 461. While I love my bigger saw, the 362 with a sharp "yellow" chain handles just about everything. The difference between the "yellow" chain and "green" chain is like night and day.

Dollar 6400 or Echo 620 get my vote. Get a 24" bar and a 18" bar later on. Should be fine for your needs.

What size bar?

My 362 has a 25” Bar
260 pro has a 20”
041 super has a 28”
032 has a 20”

I know the 041S is an old beast, it’s heavy and loud, but I love it!
And I agree that the yellow chains are the way to go.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. If I don't find something in the classifieds (looking now!), I'll likely go the 362 route.

Another question: I was look at bhp levels recently and see my 041 FB listed at 3.75 bhp. Consensus seems to be that the MS261 is under-powered for red oaks despite being rated at 4 bhp. What's the difference there? Does the 041 make more torque? Is there something I'm missing?

Back