Which stack dries faster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrunt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering what everyone thinks on which stacking method will dry faster? We got a decent start on the winter, but much more needs to be done.

I have stacked in the same manners you have going. I guess that I personaly can not tell a difference. My 0.02 is this. Which ever pile gets the most sun, and air flow will prally dry faster! No help at all was I. I can say that I cut some sopping wet cottonwood in Jan. Split it and threw it in some 1/2 cord cages, I picked up some the other day, it is ready!:clap:

+1 on the last pic, it will have the most air flow through it, try and avoid
big square or round piles or stacks. In my experience the middle just does not
get any air. I used to stack, its just too much any more, 40 cord/yr, so I have just long skinny piles(6-8' wide x however long x 6-8' high on pallets thrown not stacked), they dry out well in about 6 mons. They get good air through'em.

If i am using the wood for myself I stack it and make sure its covered to keep the rainand snow off. For selling there is too much volume and it would take too much time to stack it, so piling it and covering it are good enough.

i would say the last pic. i have tried making large piles of wood but the middle dosen't dry. Now i stack them six rows of 1 log length, 6 feet high, and ten feet long. Dry's good.
:greenchainsaw:

I have stacked in the same manners you have going. I guess that I personaly can not tell a difference. My 0.02 is this. Which ever pile gets the most sun, and air flow will prally dry faster! No help at all was I. I can say that I cut some sopping wet cottonwood in Jan. Split it and threw it in some 1/2 cord cages, I picked up some the other day, it is ready!:clap:

My .02 agrees.

Back