Which Stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jokers said:
Real men wouldn`t drag a 170 or 180 into the bush, it might be scared.

Russ

Maybe it's "Real men can take a small saw like that into the bush and still get the job done". Hehehe, just kidding.

I see there must be some history with DMoS claiming to be some type of pro and using a 170??? I agree that If I was a pro, there is no way I would own a 170, but for the occasional user (10-15 cords/year), the 170 works well for limbing.

Ok guys what did I start here. Ive made up my mind on saws. I'm getting 2 . MS440 w/ 20" bar and A MS310 w/16 bar. Also getting safety gear and asst. axes, wedges, chain sharpeners, spare chains, ect. As I said before I have A budget of $2500 , so I hope my saw selections will give me years of dependable service. Thanks, Mike

Mike, where did the idea of buying the MS310 come from?
Certainly not from the advice you have got in this tread (?) :Eye: :Eye:

OK, if it is a backup in case your 440 should fail I can understand it (sort of at least), but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me, as it weights pretty close to the 440, and has a lot less power.....
I don't think that you will find yourself using it much.

Your choise of bar lenghts seem sensible for the use you have described, though.

Hi sawtroll, What I'm trying to do is use the MS440 for felling and bucking? The MS310 for limbing and other light stuff ? Or do I need 3 saws ? :dizzy: what would you suggest? Thanks Mike

ok, so i've read all the post and i might as well add my 2 cents. I cut firewood for a living. All hardwood, and all tops from logged off woods. I have 2 saws for limbing ...026 with a 20"...so i dont have to bend over and a 025 with a 16" ,cause lets face it the piles of tops can be 12' high and its tuff chimbing those piles with a 20" bar. I do all my cutting with 460 with a 20" bar and a modded muffer , and a 064 with a 20" bar and muffer mod.....when one runs out of gas i grab the other and keep going it also give them a chance to cool down in case the chain needs sharping. In my opion... if i had to pick 2 saws to get it done i'd go with a 025 or 026 with a 16" bar for the limbing and a 460 with a 20" to do the bigger stuff....you'll be happy with this combo........btw my 14 year old son runs a 260 pro right next to me...hope this helps

neverenough said:
Maybe it's "Real men can take a small saw like that into the bush and still get the job done". Hehehe, just kidding.

All kidding aside, that`s funny!

I realize that everyone has different needs, objectives, and time constraints. to each their own.

Russ

Welcome to the forum Mike!

The MS310 is not a light and nimble saw, and imho not much more appropriate for "limbing and other light stuff" than the 440 is. The 310 also is a homeowner quality saw, if that matters to you.
I do not think that you need more than two saws.
If the saws has to be Stihls, I would suggest the 260 as the smaller saw. Otherwise I would suggest the Husky 346xp or 353, or Jonsered 2147/ 2152.
My woodlot resembles the one you described, except that the wood is mostly birch. I use the MS361 and the Husky 353, and that is all I need.

Last edited:
Go down the block to the Husky dealer, and get a 372xp, then let us know which saw you like the best, the 440 or the 372. For a third saw I recomend a Wild Thing, just so you can say you've had one.

Mike367 said:
Ok guys here I go, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting 2 Stihl saws: MS270C with 16" bar / MS361C with 20" bar. 2 axes, some wedges, A sledge hammer, spare chains, sharpening supplies. Hard hat, ear protection, chaps, safety boots, gloves. Hook for rolling logs. What else? Mike

What else? Eye protection.

By the way, I'll sell you my 066 and my Poulan PP260 for $2500, shipping included! You'll be all set. :D

SawTroll said:
Welcome to the forum Mike!

The MS310 is not a light and nimble saw, and imho not much more appropriate for "limbing and other light stuff" than the 440 is. The 310 also is a homeowner quality saw, if that matters to you.
I do not think that you need more than two saws.
If the saws has to be Stihls, I would suggest the 260 as the smaller saw. Otherwise I would suggest the Husky 346xp or 353, or Jonsered 2147/ 2152.
My woodlot resembles the one you described, except that the wood is mostly birch. I use the MS361 and the Husky 353, and that is all I need.

Exactly, the 310 weighs almost the same as the 440, but doesn't cut anywhere near as fast. So what saw do you think you'll actually use? I can bet you that you'll end up using the 440 for everything and the 310 will collect dust. Do yourself a favor and buy an MS 260 for your limbing saw over the 310. It will be much nicer to use and you might actually pick it up for limbing, unlike what will happen with the 310.

Or get a similar size Husky, Jonsereds or Dolmar saw.

I don't think you'll regret having the 440, but a 361 would likely meet your needs, and it weighs less. If you aren't used to running a saw, less weight will mean you can get more work done in a day, as you can work longer before you are too tired to safely continue working.

Now that your going with 2 saws, you will not regret getting a 260p and a 440, that's what I would get. I think in the end you will find yourself using the 260 most of the time, I use my 353 as much as I can, it will go through anything under 10" as fast as I need it to, I think you'll find that the 260 will do the same.

Mike367 said:
Ok guys what did I start here. Ive made up my mind on saws. I'm getting 2 . MS440 w/ 20" bar and A MS310 w/16 bar. Also getting safety gear and asst. axes, wedges, chain sharpeners, spare chains, ect. As I said before I have A budget of $2500 , so I hope my saw selections will give me years of dependable service. Thanks, Mike

For that small lot, I'd go for a 60cc or 70cc saw and use it exclusively. Either one would cut down and cut up all that you have and not be anywhere near used up. If you feel the need for a second saw in the future, you will have some experience upon which to base your next decision.

rahtreelimbs said:
Anyone who has been on here for any length on time knows how Mike Maas feels about 50cc saws. That is his opinion and I respect Mike enough to know that he is not just blowing hot air!

That's you...Massho is out to lunch...or has never run a modded 3-4 cube saw. My Greffardized 346 will literally destroy 16 inch hardwood, and my ehp 357 will darn near vaporize it..and blow away a stock 460.....in small wood.

To Mike, who started the thread...look for a good used 044, 460, 372 or older similar 4.5 cube saw, on eBay or elsewhere.....a bit heavier but faster cutting than a 361. If you do get the 361, mod the muffler, as it is a dog in stock form.

Mike367, after seeing what this thread has become. IE really confusing.

if you ignore brands, this is what most are saying:

1. if you are going with two saws. go with one small (MS260 or 346) and one gutsy saw (MS 440, 460 or 372).

2. if you are going to buy one saw only go with one medium sized MS 361 or equal husky.

go with those two choices and you cannot go wrong.

Since everyone keeps throwing out saw numbers and many various combinations, may I again suggest you buy a 361 to start. 361 is pretty much the middle of the road for power and still considered a pro use saw. Set up with a 20" bar it will handle much of the cutting described. Use it awhile and see how it serves you. If you decide you need something larger or smaller you have many options. good luck.

rahtreelimbs said:
Anyone who has been on here for any length on time knows how Mike Maas feels about 50cc saws. That is his opinion and I respect Mike enough to know that he is not just blowing hot air!

Having said that I think a 460 is slight overkill for someone only cutting firewood under 12"-14".

If I am bucking up wood over that size then perhaps a 460 would be used.

I am of the opinion that lighter is better and I see no reason why a 260 or saw of similar size would not make a good firewood saw.........stock or modified!!!

rbtree said:
That's you...Massho is out to lunch...or has never run a modded 3-4 cube saw. My Greffardized 346 will literally destroy 16 inch hardwood, and my ehp 357 will darn near vaporize it..and blow away a stock 460.....in small wood.

To Mike, who started the thread...look for a good used 044, 460, 372 or older similar 4.5 cube saw, on eBay or elsewhere.....a bit heavier but faster cutting than a 361. If you do get the 361, mod the muffler, as it is a dog in stock form.

Don't misunderstand my point Roger. All I am saying is that Mike has a reason for feeling the way he does about 50cc saws!

Having said that I totally disagree with him and have a mindset like you do. I love a bada$$ 50cc saw especially when it will run with the bigger boys!!! ;)

Back