Which stump grinder for the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razerface

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i live in a 25 acre woods. Nothing flat, but not steep. Midwest ohio hills. Hundreds of ash trees died in my woods. We logged a couple years ago, so just the smaller trees were left,, but big stumps still there.
I am begining to have ash trees fall and get blown over. Its getting dangerous out there. I need to get cutting them, and want to do stumps too. We ride stuff thru the woods,,and you know what hidden stumps do to 4 wheelers or my kubota side by side,,,,and "it ain't pretty".

I am looking at buying a used stump grinder. Should i get one that must be pulled with a vehicle, or a self propelled type? Seems like the self propelled may take forever to get thru the woods?

Looked at vermeer 630B. Older grinders that can be bought 3200-4000 bucks. Should i go newer? What should i look at? I have equipment to pull one around if needed.

I think 5,000 is my upper budget. I dont want to spend too much though,,as in a few years they will be giving them away when all the ash stumps are gone. Everybody and their brother is a stump grinder around here. I just want to do my own. I have hundreds of stump to do in my woods.

i live in a 25 acre woods. Nothing flat, but not steep. Midwest ohio hills. Hundreds of ash trees died in my woods. We logged a couple years ago, so just the smaller trees were left,, but big stumps still there.
I am begining to have ash trees fall and get blown over. Its getting dangerous out there. I need to get cutting them, and want to do stumps too. We ride stuff thru the woods,,and you know what hidden stumps do to 4 wheelers or my kubota side by side,,,,and "it ain't pretty".

I am looking at buying a used stump grinder. Should i get one that must be pulled with a vehicle, or a self propelled type? Seems like the self propelled may take forever to get thru the woods?

Looked at vermeer 630B. Older grinders that can be bought 3200-4000 bucks. Should i go newer? What should i look at? I have equipment to pull one around if needed.

I think 5,000 is my upper budget. I dont want to spend too much though,,as in a few years they will be giving them away when all the ash stumps are gone. Everybody and their brother is a stump grinder around here. I just want to do my own. I have hundreds of stump to do in my woods.
Well you dont want that 630B dinosaur. Get a used self propelled.

Will a self propelled be able to get back in the woods thru brambles and uneven ground? My 25 acre woods is probably 1/2 mile long or longer. Are self propelled grinders able to be hooked to a tractor and taken thru the woods?

Will a self propelled be able to get back in the woods thru brambles and uneven ground? My 25 acre woods is probably 1/2 mile long or longer. Are self propelled grinders able to be hooked to a tractor and taken thru the woods?
Yes brambles you can grind right through them. Uneven ground , depends how uneven. Rent one for a day and try it.

If you have a skid loader try one of the attachment grinders. I have one that we use on lot clears, throws chip everywhere but 12 mph travel speed. It loves 12" stumps but after 30" it gets real tedious. But then again you're not grinding for replanting or landscaping. There are a few auger type removers that would probably work well also

Just my opinion but worrying about stumps in a 25 acres of woods seems a huge waste of time and money.

$5,000. isn't going to touch a machine capable.

Lol,,,,the first time you go over the handlebars of a 4wheeler or smash your face on the steering wheel,,,you will change your mind very quickly. Stumps gotta go,,,,

I am seeing a few vermeer 252 grinders in the 5000 range. Those should be capable from youtube videos.

Lol,,,,the first time you go over the handlebars of a 4wheeler or smash your face on the steering wheel,,,you will change your mind very quickly. Stumps gotta go,,,,

I am seeing a few vermeer 252 grinders in the 5000 range. Those should be capable from youtube videos.

Having used stump grinders for over 30 years................... I predict your plan is going to result in a face plant of another type!

I can see grinding the trails but surely not the whole woods. Unless you plan on living to 150 years old that is.

why not just buy a few carbide chains for your existing saws and cut the stumps flush. much cheaper and faster

Excavators are too expensive for me to own for stump removal.

Most of the stumps will be smaller since the larger ones were logged. If i grind as i cut them down,,i can keep up. That is one reason i was concerned of the speed on self propelled grinders. A tractor could pull one to the area we cut that day even if it is the other end of the woods. I do plan on living to 147 years old,,,,,

I have no experience with carbide chains. We will be cutting the trees up for firewood also. Can a carbide chain be laid flush on the ground and cut dirt with the stump? I need to learn about those chains.

Can a carbide chain be laid flush on the ground and cut dirt with the stump? I need to learn about those chains.
yep. they still dont like dirt and dull out but if you leave one saw set up with the carbide chain for the final flush cut you could cut allot of trees on one chain. they cost anywhere from $75-100 for a 20" loop and cost $20-25 to sharpen. They cut slower than normal chain but last 10x as long.

Personally i have no experience with them and am just repeating what i have heard so my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. There are several threads on here about them so do a search and see what you come up with. Rapco and Stihl are the 2 brands i know of

Thats what I have. Check the compression it should have 150 or more in each cyl. if closer to 100 dont buy it.

As you ride over and pack the dirt around the flush cut stumps, they will "raise" up and you'll end up with bumper trails especially if you ride when it's muddy. Do you have a tractor or loader?

As you ride over and pack the dirt around the flush cut stumps, they will "raise" up and you'll end up with bumper trails especially if you ride when it's muddy. Do you have a tractor or loader?
The main trails are already clear. we drive where there are no trails,,where the weeds grow up and would hide stumps until you find them the hard way. A bump is acceptable.

Yes, i have a tractor and a 943 bobcat. The bobcat, unfortunately has a larger then normal bobtach, so attachments must be custom fitted. I have a cat dozer, but by the time you dig out a stump with it,,,you have a very large area around it tore up too,,instead of just the stump being gone.

Are the engines the weak link that is worn on used ones? I figured pins and bearings would be the worn out stuff.
The main pivot that holds the whole thing together wears out. Yes the engines do wear out also check this. A Kohler 27 HP is about 2000.00 the bearings are much less. Also look at the hour meter.

The main pivot that holds the whole thing together wears out. Yes the engines do wear out also check this. A Kohler 27 HP is about 2000.00 the bearings are much less. Also look at the hour meter.
So basically just shake everything? Are they wiggly machines when tight? Where is the main pin,,,the pivot pin for the grinding head?

As you ride over and pack the dirt around the flush cut stumps, they will "raise" up

thats for sure. I have to go back and recut allot of mine from the field i clear cut last year. I havent driven on mine and they have popped up a couple inches since last spring

Back