which to buy husky 372xp or jonsered 2171?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree one should try to stand to the side, so a kickback would go over your shoulder instead of into your forehead.

But it's the straight handlebar of the Jred which promotes that stance!! :D

JMHO!! Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid in all states. Void where prohibited.

p.s. Get the Jonny!!

Gotta disagree with that (in bold).

Just the opposite! :givebeer:

:agree2:

I have to agree with Woodie on this one ;)

With the front handle perpendicular to the rear handle, it feels very awkward
standing behind the saw. Standing beside the saw feels natural. Try it in the air.

I have to agree with Woodie on this one ;)

With the front handle perpendicular to the rear handle, it feels very awkward
standing behind the saw. Standing beside the saw feels natural. Try it in the air.

Fits my wiew on it perfectly, but the conclusion is different!

You have to deliberatly hold the Jred beside you, to keep its potentional kick-back path away from your head - the Husky will do that with a natural stance! :givebeer:

On the flip side, they don't kick back anyway, unless the operator is sober, and don't know what he is doing........:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Fits my wiew on it perfectly, but the conclusion is different!

You have to deliberatly hold the Jred beside you, to keep its potentional kick-back path away from your head - the Husky will do that with a natural stance! :givebeer:

I respectfully disagree with my Norwegian friend, and I will point him in the direction of Euclid to demonstrate why!!

When a saw kicks, it will want to pivot to some extent on its front handlebar. Now...assuming you are holding the saw right handed, in what direction will that direct the bar? Well if you're holding a Jonny, it will try to pivot in the plane of its bar/chain. The Husky, on the other hand, it's going to try to pivot back and around toward your head, because that's the way the handle will rotate through your hand.

Geometry doesn't lie!!! :D :D

And it suuuuuuure is more comfortable to hold a Jonny out to the side...less strain on your wrist. Now that's PROVEN scientific conjecture! :D

I respectfully disagree with my Norwegian friend, and I will point him in the direction of Euclid to demonstrate why!!

When a saw kicks, it will want to pivot to some extent on its front handlebar. Now...assuming you are holding the saw right handed, in what direction will that direct the bar? Well if you're holding a Jonny, it will try to pivot in the plane of its bar/chain. The Husky, on the other hand, it's going to try to pivot back and around toward your head, because that's the way the handle will rotate through your hand.

And it suuuuuuure is more comfortable to hold a Jonny out to the side...less strain on your wrist. Now that's PROVEN scientific conjecture! :D

Well, I never had a really bad kick-back (as I keep an eye on where the tip of the bar is, and use relatively short bars), just some easy-to-control (I am not small) push-backs, when bore-cutting. I am sure the "front" hand will be off the handlebar pretty soon in an unexpected and severe kick-back, so that factor can pretty much be ruled out - the original horisontal angle of the saw is what counts for the end result. :popcorn:

Kick-back "lite" doesn't do any harm anyway - easy to "contain".

Last edited:
Well, I never had a really bad kick-back (as I keep an eye on where the tip of the bar is, and use relatively short bars), just some easy-to-control (I am not small) push-backs, when bore-cutting. I am sure the "front" hand will be off the handlebar pretty soon in an unexpected and severe kick-back, so that factor can pretty much be ruled out - the original horisontal angle of the saw is what counts for the end result. :popcorn:

Kick-back "lite" doesn't do any harm anyway - easy to "contain".

Thats why one should always have ones thumb wrapped securely around the front handlebar, to avoid slipping off.

Huh? You sure are ignoring the force generated by a severe kick back. The application of the left hand isn't as important as the physics of the energy being generated.

This is more like holding a handgun normally and firing and then turning your wrist either left or right and firing. The gun will recoil in direct relationship to the distribution of energy out of the barrel. The hold will dictate how perceived the recoil is, but it won't change the physics of the momentum we see as recoil.

Huh? You sure are ignoring the force generated by a severe kick back. The application of the left hand isn't as important as the physics of the energy being generated.

This is more like holding a handgun normally and firing and then turning your wrist either left or right and firing. The gun will recoil in direct relationship to the distribution of energy out of the barrel. The hold will dictate how perceived the recoil is, but it won't change the physics of the momentum we see as recoil.

So according to your reasoning, a saw which experiences a kick back, or a pistol which experiences recoil, will continue in its original direction endlessly? And no contact point with saw/gun will have any influence over that movement? There are no control points on either?

Tell ya what...tie a piece of aircraft cable to the trigger guard on a .22 pistol, and attach the other end to a (relatively) rigid mount. Fire the weapon, then report back how the weapon reacts to the recoil.

Okay, don't actually do that, because it's dangerous, and I don't want to get sued by spacemule. But you see my point.

I am very confused. Ive never handled a Jonnyred, so I dont exactly understand this angle everybody talks about. I do know the 7900 does not feel right in my hands.
So if anybody cares to send a comparable Jred and Husky to me, I will try them both out and give a unbiased opinion

OP, have you decided on which saw yet?

But a common mistake.

I have a hard time believing that, a firm grip with the left thumb and fore-finger (around the handlebar) is the most important issue regarding chainsaw safety!

If you are right, disaster will strike pretty often, you have to controle the saw - Dang it! :givebeer:

Last edited:
Who reads manuals?;):D

I used to, some years ago - Witchy refused to read any user manual, before really needed (= something didn't work).

For several years, I tried to persuade her to read at least one saw manual, but all in vain - she insisted her father had thought her good enough (not so!) - LOL

Last edited:
So according to your reasoning, a saw which experiences a kick back, or a pistol which experiences recoil, will continue in its original direction endlessly? And no contact point with saw/gun will have any influence over that movement? There are no control points on either?

Tell ya what...tie a piece of aircraft cable to the trigger guard on a .22 pistol, and attach the other end to a (relatively) rigid mount. Fire the weapon, then report back how the weapon reacts to the recoil.

Okay, don't actually do that, because it's dangerous, and I don't want to get sued by spacemule. But you see my point.

Yes, recoil will drive a gun straight back IF the recoil is distributed directly in line and not disrupted by an action design or barrel that is higher/lower/left/right of the anchor point. It will continue to move until that energy is absorbed and/or depleted.

No, but thanks for the sarcasm. :) My point is that the left hand is not dominant to controlling the saw, the right hand is. The left may create a fulcrum, but you compensate for the angle of the handle by adjusting the angle of your wrist, nullifying much of the handlebar design. In any event, being to the side is advantageous. If you are hovering over the bar, neither handle design will help you much.
IMHO, it's better to pick the design which is more comfortable for the user and minimizes a tendency to lean over the bar. Lastly, not only Huskys have that angle, although full wrap seems to have less of one, but I guess this conversation isn't about full wrap.

Last edited:
Back