Which to sell: Husky 359 or Stihl MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepinmatt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've got a predicament, I need to sell a saw. I'm sure its not a popular decision, but lets face it, paying the bills is more important. I bought these from a friend back in february because they needed work and he needed money.
About the saws:
Husqvarna E-tech 359, I believe about 06 or 07 model. Had the troublesome Walbro carb, wouldn't run right, but I put the Zama carb on it about a month ago, and it runs great now. Hasn't seen much use or abuse because it spent much of its life at the dealer, chasing down "cob-a-retter" problems. New 20" bar and chain. 157psi compression, very good condition cosmetically. Has a new Stihl Elastostart pull handle.

Stihl MS361, Jan 2005 model. Wouldn't run when leaned over or low on fuel. I reattached the fuel filter/pickup, now it runs great, good 18" bar and chain. Cosmetically good, 170psi compression.

Judging by ebay and craigslist, I like to think I could probably get $350-400 for the 359 and about $400-450 for the MS361. Also, everyone on here talks about how great the 359 is once you open up the muffler. The 359 has had less use than the 361, can make more power, and I can sell the 361 for more money. So whats even up for debate, right?

Well, I have a Stihl 046 that I can swap bar and chains with the 361, the 361 is definitely more powerful than the 359 when using them side by side (with 20" bars on each), and the 361 doesn't need a $40 muffler to open up. The 170psi compression seems to indicate it has a lot of life left too.

So Im having trouble deciding which to put up for sale. I will probably put them both up at excessively high prices, and see which sells first, then lower the price faster on the one I decide I want to sell more. I'm hoping that I can have trouble deciding long enough to find a job and not have to decide.

Share your thoughts!

if you have an 046, i would sell them both and look for a used 346......the 359 will bring more like $275-300. you are pretty close on the 361 value and you might be able to find someone on the trading post that would be willing swap a 346NE for your 361. i would def prefer a 361 to a 359, though a 359 with a MM is a respectable saw and will cut with a 361. it's still heavier than a 361.

I like both my 359 and 361, but all in all, I have to say that since the muffler mod I like the 361 better. They both run great and that is why I can't make up my mind on selling my 359.

All depends on how badly you need the money. I would sell the whole lot of them and pay down your debts. Living debt free is worth more than any chainsaw.

As for the saws, I can't say I like one that much better than the other. But keep the 361 just because they have been a short lived model and will hold value better than the 359.

Most guys here seem to be voting based on what they think would be the best saw to keep. But if you need some cash to pay bills, I think you should sell the saw that will get the best price. I figure that the 361 would bring an easy $100 more than the 359, so that's the one you should part with. While the 361 will outcut a 359, the 359 is still a capable saw. And combined with the 046, there isn't anything you won't be able to handle cutting wise.

Staying with 046 and 361 combo keeps bars and chains easily interchangable and parts and service availible in one place. That fact on its own should make the decision easy.

if you have an 046, i would sell them both and look for a used 346......the 359 will bring more like $275-300. you are pretty close on the 361 value and you might be able to find someone on the trading post that would be willing swap a 346NE for your 361.

+1. I find no use for a 60cc saw when you have a good 50cc and 70-80cc.

Sell the 359 and keep the 361! The advantage is having saws with bars in common, same brand for dealer support and the Stihl will always be worth more to sell in the future if you need to.

I believe the reasoning for keeping the 2 Stihls is very valid. However since I'm not in debt and don't want to be, I'd sell the one you can get the most for which seems to be the Stihl.

Just to clarify, I could not sell any of them, and be fine. But I'm choosing to sell one to free up some cash so my wife will love me more. The only debt I've got is for my land, and I'm still making notable payments to principal every month.

As far as dealers are concerned, there is a Husky dealer 3 miles away, and a Stihl dealer about 8-10 miles down the road. I've dealt with the Stihl dealer alot and they are generally great, though some of their guys won't come off of retail price, while the others do. I would only use them for parts, I do all of my own maintenance and repair (with the help of the huge Arboristsite knowledge base). The Husky dealer seems ok, but they are the ones who couldn't fix the 359...

As for having a 50cc and a 70-80cc saw, I don't have a 50cc saw, but I have two 60cc saws...<edit: forgot about the 028 Super, but it generally stays with dad>
Plus I can run an 18" bar on the 60cc's, and it makes it a lot lighter than the 25" on the 046. The 046 could then hang out and wait for some porting and muffler mods, and only be brought out for the big trees or for fun.
I wouldn't mind having something like a 346 or an 026/260, but Im looking to convert to cash, not buy another saw. I think my next purchase will be a good used MS200T, so that it's small and light enough to carry around on the 4wheeler, and if I need something bigger, I'll go get the 60cc saw.

Last edited:
All depends on how badly you need the money. I would sell the whole lot of them and pay down your debts. Living debt free is worth more than any chainsaw.

:agree2: I agree, Rep sent! Anyhow, if you got the cash to spare, I would probably sell both the 359 and 361 and get yourself a 346XP NE.

Last edited:
1 more vote for sell the husky. you don't have much faith in the husky dealer and rightfully so. you do however like the Stihl dealer.

the 361 and 046 with interchangeable bars and 1 dealer to deal with makes perfect sense.

pick you up an 026 PRO down the road and have all your bases covered.

Another more radical idea is keep the 359 and sell off the 361 & 460. The 359 with a MM will handle most of your sawing needs and the rest with patience. The 460 & 361 will bring you a nice handsome sum to use on debt eradication. Having a 460 to hang on the wall and to brag about when you feel the ulcers nagging in your stomach is not worth it!

You donot need a dealer since you have proven that you can take care of the matter yourself! And getting spares is as easy as using the internet.

I believe in having no debts, so having the problem of '"pride in ownership of a brand saw" is sensless compared to "pride in debtlessness". Getting some toy to show off here at AS or to some freinds is, in my eyes, only a mute exercize.

Thankfully I am not in your situation. I could aquire any saw if I wanted to, but sometimes dreaming about it is more satisfying than owning the real thing. I believe the reason why many of us are here a AS!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back