Which to sell: Husky 359 or Stihl MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day, 03/04 Gypo Ed Heard and countless others would purchase 359 on Ebay for $250 and Ed would port them.The secret was in the transfers.No machine work needed on pistons or other nonsense.Dollar for dollar they are about the best still today.
They would have $450 saws that would outwork any stock 440,372 or 460 on the planet.
I think they flogged a whole wack of them
Timberwolf did a few I saw at gtg's and they were also runners.

My only druthers are an outboard clutch, I prefer inboard

Has anyone noticed a shortened lifespan or more frequent failure due to this port work?

If you have a 2050 jonsered for the small stuff I would sell the 359 and 361 and keep the 046.
I've got access to (a mile down the road at my dads house) a Stihl 028 Super that is probably better suited as a compliment for the 046.
I got the J-red 2050 pretty cheap, and I plan to leave it at my parents camper in the mountains, that way if it gets broken into and stolen, I haven't lost as much.

I'm glad to see from all the varied replies that this wasn't some obvious conclusion that I was missing. There are too many factors and there isn't a right or wrong answer. 5 years from now, I doubt I will look back and think "man, I'm glad I kept all those saws", but I don't think I'd look back and think "I'm glad I sold all those saws" either. The smart thing to do would probably be sell all of them that have any value, then show one of my neighbors this forum, then gain access to the excessive collection of saws that they would most certainly amass. :greenchainsaw:

I guess the full options would be 028 Super, 359, MS361, 046. The 028 will not be sold, but its not always in my possession either.
-Theres a side of me that says sell the MS361 and the 046, keep the 359 and port it.
-Another side says sell the 359 and 361, and have a good light saw(028), and a good heavy saw(046).
-Theres yet another side that says keep the MS361, do some light mods, and have 1 great all around saw. (but then I could do the same with the 359, and come out $1-200 ahead, so I'm back to square one).

So, 3 questions:
1. Where can I find some good info on porting and polishing the 359 and/or MS361?
2. Does porting/muffler mods/etc increase the value of the saw?
3. What is the best way to make the plastics look good?:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I read this thread at the start then steered away...

If I were the OP an both saws were stock, I would keep the 361...

As for my 359 that Brad built...It is my favorite saw...That is all I have to say about that...;)

So, 3 questions:
1. Where can I find some good info on porting and polishing the 359 and/or MS361?
2. Does porting/muffler mods/etc increase the value of the saw?
3. What is the best way to make the plastics look good?:greenchainsaw:

1. Search, tons of info in here.

2. Not really, most guys could care less about a ported saw. For me it would depend on who did the work. I'd pay fair $$$ for a saw built right. Otherwise, it looses value when modded. A muff mod is the best mod to start out with, easy and a new muffler can be installed if needed.

3. Armorall or WD40 works good. Some wet sanding and painting will be needed for a nice looking finish.

You coming to the GTG at Possum's? If so I can help ya with the muff mod on either the 359 or 361.

I would just keep the 361 and sell everything else. With a muffler mod, it is really all you need unless you have alots of 30" wood to cut all the time.

I have never seen a stock 359 that would run with mine, even though I've only seen 3 or 4.

I finally got a chance this weekend to get out and run them side by side. Just doing cleanup on some dirtbike trails and such, nothing major, no big wood. The 359 is certainly a good saw. The MS361 is definitely stronger, and feels lighter. The 359 is running brand new chain, and the MS361 was running dirt sharpened chain, but the 359 was still cutting a little slower. With a sharp chain, the MS361 would have absolutely trounced it.

I think the biggest difference for me was the 359 would stall in the cut if I really leaned into, whereas the MS361 would just throw bigger chips.

Also, I find the handle positioning of the MS361 to be more comfortable and more what I'm used to. The wrap handle is at about 90 degrees to the trigger handle, whereas the 359 has a different tilt to the handles.

So the 359 will be up for sale soon, just need to clean it up. I still haven't ruled out selling all 3, but I gotta start somewhere. I'm a bit tempted to sell all 3 and buy a Makita DCS6401 with the 84cc big bore kit from Baileys, that's a heck of a price...

I finally got a chance this weekend to get out and run them side by side. Just doing cleanup on some dirtbike trails and such, nothing major, no big wood. The 359 is certainly a good saw. The MS361 is definitely stronger, and feels lighter. The 359 is running brand new chain, and the MS361 was running dirt sharpened chain, but the 359 was still cutting a little slower. With a sharp chain, the MS361 would have absolutely trounced it.

I think the biggest difference for me was the 359 would stall in the cut if I really leaned into, whereas the MS361 would just throw bigger chips.

Also, I find the handle positioning of the MS361 to be more comfortable and more what I'm used to. The wrap handle is at about 90 degrees to the trigger handle, whereas the 359 has a different tilt to the handles.

So the 359 will be up for sale soon, just need to clean it up. I still haven't ruled out selling all 3, but I gotta start somewhere. I'm a bit tempted to sell all 3 and buy a Makita DCS6401 with the 84cc big bore kit from Baileys, that's a heck of a price...

Do it. You won't regret it.

A couple of good newses.
1. I sold the Husqvarna 359 today, got $320 for it.
2. I put a new chain on the MS361 last week and it is amazing.
3. I start a new job on monday, which means I can keep the MS361 and 046 Magnum.

However, I'm still thinking about selling the 046, and using some of that money to buy a Northern Tool chain sharpener. I need to run the MS361 with the 25" bar and see how I like it.

The 361 is awesome indeed. I would think about modding the muffler. They are easy to do and it really wakes them up.

If you ever do port it, there is alot of potential. Ask Zombiechopper what he thinks about his ported 361. He did it himself and said it was outrunning his stock 460 mag.:clap:

Hey Jeepinmatt I'm glad this all worked out for you!

Anyway I have a general question, what is the benefit to interchangeable bars? If you have a need for a longer bar wouldn't you also want the larger saw? Conversely if your job only requires a short bar wouldn't you rather use a smaller saw?

I'm still thinking about selling the 046, and using some of that moneyto buy a Northern Tool chain sharpener. I need to run the MS361 with the 25" bar and see how I like it.

You did right by selling the 359. NT routinely has their Oregon 510a Knock Off grinder on sale under $100. It's a decent grinder after making the improvements detailed on several AS threads, but the grinding wheels are low quality. Watch for Friday after Thanksgiving if you can wait that long.

Hey Jeepinmatt I'm glad this all worked out for you!

Anyway I have a general question, what is the benefit to interchangeable bars? If you have a need for a longer bar wouldn't you also want the larger saw? Conversely if your job only requires a short bar wouldn't you rather use a smaller saw?
Thanks!

For me, 95% of the wood I cut is 12-14" pine and poplar, so an 18" bar is much faster and lighter (and quicker/easier to sharpen) than a 25". However, every once in a while, I get into trees that are larger than 18" or the taper at the stump is alot wider than the tree, and thats where the 25" bar is nice, being able to cut it with one pass.

I usually run the 18" on the 046 Mag and use it for anything on the ground. That keeps the 25" nice and clean and sharp, so that when I'm cutting big stuff, I don't have to worry about sharpening it. If I've got a soft bed under trees on the ground (thick pine needles and leaves, no dirt) I sometimes will run the 25" just because I don't have to bend over to cut stuff.

You did right by selling the 359. NT routinely has their Oregon 510a Knock Off grinder on sale under $100. It's a decent grinder after making the improvements detailed on several AS threads, but the grinding wheels are low quality. Watch for Friday after Thanksgiving if you can wait that long.
Thanks for the heads up, I've been eyeballing that grinder for a week or two now. I read the entire 50+ page thread on that grinder. I've got a mill and lathe, so I will probably do some cleanup and maybe even make some better parts for it. I've got this crazy idea for the chain vise that I can't wait to try. Its currently on sale for $110, but I'm waiting for the black friday ads. Hopefully they will have a smoking deal.

Latest posts

Back