Which top-handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showlandjr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Shelby, this will be my first post here, so I apologize before hand if I have offended anyones sense of etiquette, please feel free to inform me.

I am looking to expand my tree service business and set of skills. I run a very small scale operation with plankton, He's got all the big saws, so I'm planning to invest in the climbing gear and saw. If you have any information to help me that would be great. My main question thought is pertaining to getting a top handle saw for climbing, and I am wondering that you think i should get.

Thanks, showlandjr.

The answer is Stihl 200t.

Try using the search option before asking questions next time, and people will usually be a bit more friendly. But old Jeff is just a grumpy old man ;)

There really ought to be a sticky post regarding climbingsaw (Stihl 200t) in this forum, though.

You cannot go wrong with a 200T. Using the search option is a good start for reviewing past info. And also feel free to ask any question that you want. If someone finds the question insipid then they don't have to answer.

Try using the search option before asking questions next time, and people will usually be a bit more friendly. But old Jeff is just a grumpy old man ;)

There really ought to be a sticky post regarding climbingsaw (Stihl 200t) in this forum, though.

You just hate Swede's! lol
Jeff :)

Hey Shelby,
Here is my advice, if you have question just ask it, there are some great folks here that will answer your question. I think some hear the same questions over and over, and get frustrated....there are others that will answer the same question over and over...and are happy to do it.
Sorry I don't have an answer....I just mostly have questions, but welcome aboard I think you will enjoy.

Thanks all for your input, and i would love to get a 200t, thought my budget might limit me a bit, i was thinking about getting a used solo or a new echo, and but if there is a used 200t for sale i would love to buy it. I looked in the Tradin' Post, and the one 200t for sale got me no response. Also, how necessary is it to have a top handle or could i just use a light back handle?

You can use a back handle until you need to hold a limb with one hand and cut with the other. The 200t is the way to go.

192t

come on the 192 for 300 $ is not that bad for part time work.i use it for part time tree work.works great.600 plus tax is a lot for part time work.kenny

yeah that 600 price tag for a new saw really crunches my nuts, maybe i will look at the 192t, i am currently working though a deal for the solo top handle(from Tradin' Post). i will se what i can do with that. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/chainsaw.gif

i might get another also. i think with top handle i am going to want to make sure i always have one, good to have two if one is in the shop. maybe i will make my other a 200t if i get enough work in the future.

Last edited:
I prefer a rear handle for crane work. Anytime I am swinging big wood I prefer a rear handle. The first saw I ever climbed with was an old 026 woodboss. I still like to climb with a 260 when I am into medium wood and leave the 200 on the ground. The 361 is nice for semi-large wood as well.

Ha, Jeff has nothing in regards to being Grumpy, or just plain douchish as some people are on here are.

skip the Solo!

yeah that 600 price tag for a new saw really crunches my nuts, maybe i will look at the 192t, i am currently working though a deal for the solo top handle(from Tradin' Post). i will se what i can do with that. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/chainsaw.gif

i might get another also. i think with top handle i am going to want to make sure i always have one, good to have two if one is in the shop. maybe i will make my other a 200t if i get enough work in the future.

It's a gutless brick. Try the Husqvarna T435. you will like the price and the saw.

at the risk of being branded a novice moron I'll go against the prevailing "wisdom" and recommend the 192T. If you've never used a top handle saw you will love it. It will easily pay for itself in the first week if not the first day. Sure, it might not be as great as a 200T but for $300 or so it's a dang handy unit. If I was gonna spend $600 I'd probably buy two 192s so I had a back up.

After reading a hundred posts about the 200T I'm still not clear on what makes it twice as good as the 192. Come on guys, sell me!

Back