Which way to file?~~~~Out or In?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been filing into the tooth but just bought a pruner attachment and it says to file away from the tooth. I would think filing away from the tooth would leave the bur on the cutting edge and filing in wouldn’t? Let me know what works best! I also file the rakers in same as the tooth.

Last edited:
If you can file into the cutter, great. Many, like me, can't seem to overcome the chatter this causes and just get by filing outward.

Some say that you actually "smear" the chrome into the cutter (making a more durable edge) when you file out-to-in, but I just don't buy that.

File in! What chatter? Never had that problem. I always file in. Tecomec FL136 w/directional motor(Tecomec makes Oregon grinders), GB Maxx and Foley Belsaw 308 chain grinders cut in and the book recommends cut in. Must be a reason.
Shep

When the file chatters and screeches, you are not doing any cutting

You have to file inside to out one the cutters and the rakers. The safety plates on the green chains are the same way but if you notice, you have to file inside to out and they are on the opposite side of the chain from the rakers.

I think he has a Armstrong file type chain sharpener?

Sounds like this goes both ways? Wish something else in the house did. ;)

File in! What chatter? Never had that problem. I always file in. Tecomec FL136 w/directional motor(Tecomec makes Oregon grinders), GB Maxx and Foley Belsaw 308 chain grinders cut in and the book recommends cut in. Must be a reason.
Shep

I'm guessing the grinders would leave more a burr going in to out. My Stihl manual says alway file in to out.

I have been filing into the tooth but just bought a pruner attachment and it says to file away from the tooth. I would think filing away from the tooth would leave the bur on the cutting edge and filing in wouldn’t? Let me know what works best! I also file the rakers in same as the tooth.

The important thing is .......does your chain cut?

I file into the cutter, and rotate the file a bit when pushing in, when i do it this way im left with no burr and a razor edge. I dont have a problem with chatter at all, personally, i find that i can get a sharper edge quicker when i do it this way and restoring the point of the cutter, when needed, is also easier for me.

I file into the cutter, and rotate the file a bit when pushing in, when i do it this way im left with no burr and a razor edge. I dont have a problem with chatter at all, personally, i find that i can get a sharper edge quicker when i do it this way and restoring the point of the cutter, when needed, is also easier for me.

Interesting - turning the file may eliminate the chatter, makes sense.

Always file towards the outside of the chain. i.e. if the cutter is on the left the file handle should be to the right!

I am a saw doctor by trade!

Filing a chain ass about face will make the tooth sharper and it'll hold an edge longer and the saw will have more power. If you file the plain ordinary way you won't be able to cut as much wood, and elvis lives next door and there's a flock of fairies living in my garden.

Filing a chain ass about face will make the tooth sharper and it'll hold an edge longer and the saw will have more power. If you file the plain ordinary way you won't be able to cut as much wood, and elvis lives next door and there's a flock of fairies living in my garden.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, faries??? I've been wondering where that itenerant bunch went. They are a messy bunch. You know you hear about fairy dust? Well, you will soon find out it ain't dust!!!
Elvis?? Tell him the pharmacy called and they are out of the super-sized stool softeners, so he might want to cut back on the Oxy-C's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back