Which wood makes a better wood slab Walnut-Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmeyers

Reaction score
I milled these walnut slabs last year. The pictures were taken right after the cuts were made. This tree had a lot of character and expression, the spalting in the wood is fantastic. Photo below;
popup_image.php

I milled these slabs last year as well. They were from a much older tree that had been dear and buried in an organic landfill for 30 years. It is also full of color and character.
slabs%20014.jpg

My question is which type of wood do you think makes a better peice of slab furniture?

other slabs can be seen at
specialty-lumber

:greenchainsaw:

not a furniture maker

but if you look at the local home depot or lowes..they don't have maple for prime wood...I would guess the walnut..easy thing to try...go to two of your best pieces..pour some luke warm water on them rub it around...see the characteristics come out..choose for yourself..I would bet on the walnut.

P.S. I have to readjust my statement..Still love walnut..but if you are trying to replicate a pattern in your house...I have seen some really awesome curly maple and even some silver maple that had some great character..I would still go with the walnut..unless your are trying to stay with a light colored wood..use the walnut for a mantle just finish the top and leave the bottom natural..heat from the wood burner 5 years from now will still give you that trademark aroma..just my opinion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back