which wood stove to run? 2 options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been heating my house with my Englander fireplace set up as a stand alone unit in my basement (not in a fireplace). it's been doing a great job, keeps the house at 64-70 even on the cold days. burn times leave a lot to be desired (usually 3-6 hours burning cherry and white oak), wood consumption seems high, low flue temps (stays about 250 external, sometimes spikes to 500 for a few minutes) makes lots of creosote. this stove does contradict itself.

I just got a vermont castings vigilant as a freebie. needs regasketing and lower fireback has a crack. Dated 1977. I am used to the vigilant and running it. I grew up with a defiant, and operating procedures are similar. i know they throw a ton of heat, and burn times can be from 5-8 hours.

My plans were to replace the englander with the vigilant after a rebuild. However, i am unsure if i am actually upgrading to a better stove/more heat output/longer burn times.

these two stoves are my only options for now, not buying a new stove. what do you guys think?

i guess you're right, never looked at it that way. if it doesn't work as well, just put the englander back in.

It is the model. Mine heated my house great. However it used a lot of wood and created a ton of creosote as well. It has an 8" flue outlet and my chimney was/is 6", not sure if that affected anything or not. I had to keep it shut down pretty tight most of the time because it was a heating mo-sheen, more than likely this is why I experienced so much creosote build up with it. I would give it a try for sure.

Back