Which would you keep MS290 FB or a 041FB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abureels4me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to decide which one to hang onto. I really like the 041 but the 290 is not much smaller engine wise and it is a heck of a lot newer.

Sorry I can't give you an honest answer. I can't seem to ever git rid of saws once I git ahold of em. If it really came down to it I guess I would say keep the 290. They can be made into a powerhouse when modified. :msp_thumbup:

On the other hand you might as well keep both of them cause if you start hangin out here yer gonna end up with mores saws anyways.:msp_thumbsup:

I would keep the 290 for practical use. Better antivibe, parts are everywhere and cheap, and they rev higher and cut faster in most applications.

I am leaning real hard to 290, one of the biggies for me is the fact it has a break instead of just a hand guard and the fact I know I'll be able to get parts 10 years from now.

yea, I just like them cute little fry boxes and the super duper toys inside. :D
My Dad has a Dayton 21" saw he bought new in 1974 and it has set for over 10 years and the other day I wanted to see if I could get it started and it did... on the 4th pull!! My old Homelite Super XL and the 041 are the same way, they start when you ask them to. BUT.. I know if something breaks on them it won't be easy to track down parts, and the only safety feature on them is taking out a life insurance policy. I know having a plastic break in front of your hand is not a substitute for safe handling but it does add a little to my confidence. I am 40 now and have been cutting since I was a teen, not as a job we just had a lot of trees. I had to just listen to Dad and learn as I went but now I found this place and I hope to pick up a more informed and hopefully safer way of doing things. Thanks for all the replies by the way.

brakes are over rated. Since I cut wood with a good assortment of pro saws, I personally would keep the 041 just because it is old and sounds cool, I am trying to get my first 041 as we speak.

Just to be fair and balanced I do not own a 029 but I do own a 041.A friend of mine and I were out a few weeks ago, he with his 029, and me with my trusty 041.Both of us chewing on mesquite about 9-14 inch diameter. Well I took his saw and he took mine.The 029 was much lighter and smoother to operate however it did race to beat hello.The 029 had a 3/8 x 18 BC , my 041 had 3/8 20 BC.Any way the 029 was enjoyable to run but it lacked the lower grunt of the 041.For overall balance I would give the 029 the edge as well as weight. The 041 weighs plenty.Just my .02 cents worth Ken

Got rid of 2 029Supers and have 2 041's on the shelf.Pretty simple.
And parts are not a problem.

I would have a hard time getting rid of an 041, because they were the gold standard in 60cc class. I just love these old saws.

Having said that, the 041 is getting old, and the 290 is more modern. Notice that I didn't say the 290 is better or more reliable.

I guess it comes down to parts availability.

Bob

My father has the 029 and my buddy the 041 FB I have ran both and both great saws. I would keep both an 041 would make a great bucking saw and the 029 is great for lighter work of any kind. Someday I plan on getting my hands on a 041 FB and restoring just want on for my collection.

Send the 029 down to Stumpy. Let him massage it for a bit. It will open it right up. Then keep both of them and run em like you stole em. I wouldn't sell either. They both have their place in my stable. I like the 029 for limbing and the 041 for bucking. That's just me though.

Id stick to the ms290/ 029. Although I do have a 041 FB. Its still a very dependable saw, but finding parts is becoming more and more scarce. The 029 will turn alot higher rpms due to electronic ignition. With parts readily available, its a very easy saw to work on. But I wouldnt get rid of the 041. Both are GREAT saws :msp_thumbup:

Back