White Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not sure but I hope this is white ash, because I have a lot available to me. Can anyone confirm this is white ash?
attachment.php

attachment.php

as far as i know you can only tell white ash from green ash by the bud scar

I was taught that you could tell the ashes apart by location. I think white ash are more dry site like hill sides, hill tops etc while green ash like a wet site.

now it is looking like either ash box elder or piss elm at least that is what the bark is looking like to me

I'm going with elm, looks like some darker heartwood, from my experience white and green ash have very light coloured (almost white)heartwood . :givebeer:

Hard to tell from either picture, looks like it could be either ash or elm. Cut a piece off, firewood length, and try to split it. If it splits nice and clean, it's ash. If you break something, it's elm.

I vote poplar /cottonwood... the bark is decieving and ashlike for sure but the color and deep x pattern points toward the crappy poplar family hybrids ,also it will likely be noticabley lighter i nweight than a cherry portion of the same size .ash wood center after a cut is a brightish bleach white the bark has a furry brownish tint not gray and looks more like vertical corduroy than x pattern

Last edited:
Hard to tell from either picture, looks like it could be either ash or elm. Cut a piece off, firewood length, and try to split it. If it splits nice and clean, it's ash. If you break something, it's elm.

:agree2:
See if it splits real easy by hand and is white inside, then you have ash.

Not sure if this is a better picture, but here are a couple of the logs between a couple cherry logs.

attachment.php

Yea, that sure looks like ash, it kinda has a smell to it too after you split it.
Wow that cherry should have been logged and sold.

It is definately poplar. when you put the saw to it; you will see the tell tale greenish celery color heartwood: it turns brown with enough exposure to light.

Back