White Oak trunk split....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS It may likely be these 2 separate trunks are the surviving sprouts off a stump that was cut long ago. I see no compelling reason to believe the 2-separate-tree hypothesis, and less reason to argue about it based on viewing teeny pics on a screen.

The left trunk is overextended because it sprawls out to harvest available sunlight. Caused by humans clearing adjacent trees long ago; reduction is an obvious and fix and the right thing to responsibly do. The crack is kind of a big deal; no reason for panic, but no reason for complacency.

mknox if this gives you sticker shock, consider the maintenance-free years before and after, and do the math. Cheap per year, for the benefits. Ask an RE agent about home value with and without.

3344651967_128675536574698229_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

I have had three people come up and look at the tree. Two of them said it was one tree. One said it was two trees. Regrdeless, no one seemed to worried about it coming down any time soon as two mentioned they would be able to do the work in the spring. All three said that in order to keep the tree, a cable would be necessary. That made the decision for us. We don't want to have a tree that needs a cable to be safe. It is a large, beautiful tree, but we can't justify cabling and trimming it and still feeling we need to keep an eye on it for basically the same price as taking it down and never having to worry about it again. Also, by taking it down we are almost breaking even as far as not having to buy firewood for next year.
Thank you for all the input guys! The group was so divided I almost wish I could have taken bets but it seems like even now I can't be sure if it is one tree or two. We will record the tree coming down. Can post here if you would like? I guess then we will know for sure if it is one or two trees. Thanks again.
Oak will take twice as long to dry.

Back