White Oak trunk split....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the closest with RAQ is two hours from here, but strangely enough is an old school friend of my husbands. Go figure! I have another question. If this is two trees and the split has been there under the calloused wood for a long time it's possible that nothing needs to be done as ATH mentioned? Or because the tree is so large it is likely that in the least pruning needs to be done, and at most pruning and cabling?

Also, I have sent the same pictures as posted here to a local arborist and this is what he has replied.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your beautiful oak tree. Just by looking at the pictures, I can understand why the trunk union may have opened ever so slightly. About half an inch?
The opening in the trunk union makes it even that much clearer that an intervention is primordial (most probably by a combination of end-weight reduction pruning and cabling), but it will be necessary to see the tree in person to assess the urgency of the recovery procedures. By examining the pictures you attached to your email, I would not worry about removal of the tree as an option ; many other procedures are possible to save and promote this heritage tree’s health. Although it is impossible to tell with full certainty just by looking at pictures, I personally would not be worried about the tree in the short term."

Thanks so much! This is a great bunch.

Unfortunately the closest with RAQ is two hours from here, but strangely enough is an old school friend of my husbands. Go figure! I have another question. If this is two trees and the split has been there under the calloused wood for a long time it's possible that nothing needs to be done as ATH mentioned? Or because the tree is so large it is likely that in the least pruning needs to be done, and at most pruning and cabling?

Also, I have sent the same pictures as posted here to a local arborist and this is what he has replied.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your beautiful oak tree. Just by looking at the pictures, I can understand why the trunk union may have opened ever so slightly. About half an inch?
The opening in the trunk union makes it even that much clearer that an intervention is primordial (most probably by a combination of end-weight reduction pruning and cabling), but it will be necessary to see the tree in person to assess the urgency of the recovery procedures. By examining the pictures you attached to your email, I would not worry about removal of the tree as an option ; many other procedures are possible to save and promote this heritage tree’s health. Although it is impossible to tell with full certainty just by looking at pictures, I personally would not be worried about the tree in the short term."

Thanks so much! This is a great bunch.
Sounds like you have a good arborist to start working with!

Yes, it has been a ridiculously cold winter here, averaging around -22C most nights. We figured that must have contributed.

The crack only appeared recently but the split looks to be about 1/2 and inch. We have had some crazy windstorms this past year and the crack wasn't there. That's why we are thinking the split was brought on by the super cold weather.

I guess it's the way the picture looks to me, It looks to me there is 8-10 inches between the trees? I guess an optical illusion? The tree on the left also looks like it has some damage about 30 feet up, looks like bark missing in a few spots?

We trimmed off a few branches in the fall, that is probably what you are seeing as missing bark. Sorry, my pics aren't the best. Is there an angle or shot of the tree that I didn't get and anyone would like to see?

What, besides just looking at it, are signs that it is twins trees? My twins love that we may have twin trees btw. ;)

20150212_113624-jpg.402941

I have several trees on my property just like this, been thru 2 tornadoes and they are still standing. Probably at least hundred years old. I would say it needs some attention since you have assets and livelihood around the tree.

So even though this crack only appeared recently in the 11 years we've been here it's two trees? I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Just trying to understand. In the mean time, do I need to knock on my neighbours door and give them the option the sleep in the other end of their house tonight?

I cut a cherry just like that a couple weeks ago, 2 sound trees grown together and no attaching wood to the other, only bark. Pretty sure I could have cut either one and left one standing for the next 20 yrs but from 10 yds it looked like only one forked tree. Pretty sharp guys around AS. Although somewhat argumentative! lol

Back