White Oak trunk split....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mknox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just noticed a split on both sides of the trunk of a huge white oak we have in our backyard. Not sure if the inside in hollow, but chipmunks have been storing nuts in it for years, so there is some 'storage' area in there for sure. This is a very large and tall tree that would cause a lot of damage if it fell. Here are some photos. We are seriously thinking of getting this cut down.

Attachments

• 20150211_160556.jpg
    20150211_160556.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 20150211_160747.jpg
    20150211_160747.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 20150211_160807.jpg
    20150211_160807.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 351
Well, depending on if the tree continues in opposite directions then the pool and the neighbors. if it somehow goes another way it could theoretically hit the house.

You don't have a tree, you have two trees growing right next to each other. The crack you see is the separation between the two trunks. much less serious than a cracked trunk. Get a certified arborist out to inspect and assess it. Pruning and cabling options should take care of it over removal.

So even though this crack only appeared recently in the 11 years we've been here it's two trees? I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Just trying to understand. In the mean time, do I need to knock on my neighbours door and give them the option the sleep in the other end of their house tonight?

20150211_160807-jpg.402761

Callous tissue in the wound union, been there longer than you realize. Don't upset your neighbor & get the tree looked at.

If you look in the full picture, imagine two saplings growing up next to each other. As they grow up, their trunks eventually touch, and start to callous up to where it almost looks like one trunk at a casual glance.As time goes on, they grow taller and produce most of their limbs opposite each other.The weight has now caused slight movement, cracking that callous wood.
Proper weight reduction pruning ( NOT topping) will give those guys a long life.

Yes, yes, of course, a professional. I'm not saying I'd let my husband up there. Good God, my kids aren't allowed in the backyard since I've seen this! I guess I just want to know a little bit more before I have people come have a look.

If your chosen pro uses terms like weight reduction, selective thinning , proper pruning cuts, ISA or ANSI pruning standards, you should be in good hands. If he mentions topping or removal I'd look elsewhere.
I don't see anything in those pics that would indicate any risk of imminate failure. The kiddos will be fine.

Just another piling on: less severe than you are worried about. As they said, that "split" has been there for a long long time. Cabling, bracing and load reduction are certainly things that help reduce the risk of a tree, but without an onsite look, I am not even sure there is a real high likelihood of failure??? Next time the wind is blowing a good 20-30 MPH, go out and have a look at that crack to see how much it moves or does not.

In addition to looking for a Certified Arborist as the guys above mentioned, ISA has a newer recognition called "Tree Risk Assessment Qualification". While most experienced arborists have the knowledge to do that risk assessment whether or not they have that designation, you just might not know who to call. Without any other place to start, you might start with a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist. If you already have somebody you know is a professional and does good work/knows their stuff, don't worry too much about that label. You can look for arborists here: http://www.treesaregood.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx

Latest posts

Back