White or Green Ash -- How to tell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatorboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got both White ash and Green ash throughout my 20 acres of woods, and for the life of me, I have the hardest time telling the two apart.

Is there something very obvious between the two which could help me be more sure which is which?

Thanks,

In Dirrs book, the most obvious looking sign is the leaves on the Green Ash have more noticable serrations(bigger) Theres also a difference in the buds? The bark is a little different looking too.

Thanks for the reply. I have also found that if you carefully peel off the stem with all the leaflets, the area left behind will look like a horseshoe for a White Ash, and a triangle for a Green Ash.

I've never seen a blue ash, but ablack ash has deep serations too. But you find them is swampy areas. Ask any basket maker and they can tell you where all of the trees are within 50 miles.

Black Ash has ralatively longer leaflets that tend to droop compared to green or white. This is no petiole at all on leaflets to the rachis and the terminal bud is normally a short distance above the first two laterals, rather than in a clump like green ash. The bud is also black compared to brown for the green ash.

Blue ash gets it species name quadrangulata from the four wings on most twigs that make the twig look and feel square.

A few hints.

Bob Underwood

Latest posts

Back