White pine - Height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been asked to cut down a White pine...with a base diamter approximently 30 inches..

I have not seen the tree

Does anyone have a rough estimate on how high this tree can/could be

thanks

Could be over 100' but could be 75' all depends upon the area and its souroundings, if it is shaded could be a short fat little monster it is out in the open could be just one really big tree. White pines can be really tall. I emphisise can. This is all relative to the area there are alway anomolises. Just for giggles just looked it up in a book I had, it said some of the largerest white pines in the Easter US were over 160'. So who know you will just have to go look at it.
Jared

Might have it backwards Jared, they grow tall in groves and shorter out in the open. I'm talking about a natural grove not a pine plantation. There's a white pine in Claremont, NH that is 166' with a 26" DBH. It's in a grove. Out in the open they put energy into side branches and there's more chance the top will break off in high wind. So a 30" DBH could be anywhere from 90 to ? ft. No way to assess without looking at it :)
-moss

figue i would have to see it...i know it grows in a natural grove...in Lake Tahoe, California...

Talking with him...sounds around a 100...but soon to find out

Three easy inexpensive methods of height measuring

Well I needed a refresher on this so did a quick google and found definative methods here> http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-the-Height-of-a-Tree
Hope this helps 'cause as others stated it does depend on several factors, you just can't guesstimate by age or diameter. I've found that the easiest one is using the 45 degree method, as long as you have a line-of-sight and a long tape its a piece of cake! Have fun, little hint here; when you make a 45 degree sighting tool (two 1/2x2" pieces of 1-2ft scap works fine (oh a protractor too eh) nailed together or a carpenters square will work too) you can increase its accuracy by hanging a weighted string from the upper arm, use a level and mark the bottom piece where it hangs when level.
My 0.02$ worth fer da evening.

:cheers:

Serge

Another trick we use is, take an eight foot pole and stand it next to the tree. Stand back a ways and use your tumb as a referance. See how big the pole is compared to your tumb the use your tumb like a incerent and meausre the tree. Just like steping off something on the ground only with your tumb vertical. Not fool proff but tends work OK wouldn't be my life on it but has worked well on the past. I always error to cautious side but that is just me, I would hate to ever think about dropping one on a house. So if I think it may be too tall I just climb up and reduce it's hieght some how.

I think I miss worded the Height post earlier it is as mentioned above. I hate words if I got them right all the time it would be ok but I am great about bumble fingers.
Jared

Latest posts

Back