who are we???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
As with a lot of other things,people from all different walks of like can have something in common.here on this board the common denominator is the fact we all burn wood for heat.
I burn wood because of the financial aspect of the money it saves me on heating bills,and I basically enjoy cutting, sawing ,and splitting.And As mentioned here in another post,It helps with ones basic instinct of gathering and supplying his family

That said I was wondering how diverse our people on this board is.
I'll start with myself
I'm 44 years old.
I own an automotive electric repair business(Fancy name for a starter and alternator rebuild shop).About twenty years ago I quit a job as a mechanical draftsman and started the business that I now own and have never regretted my decision.being self employed has its downfalls,but the benefits are much greater.

I am 53 and am president of a company that recycles concrete and asphalt and does custom crushing work. I own property that has plenty of woods to keep cleaned up, I need the exercise and I hope to ave a buck or two in the process. It also does not hurt that it is basicaly income that the gov cant tax or keep track off:clap:

Retired Tire Shop owner after being Over the Road truck Driver(still work part time at the Tire Shop)
Burn wood in OWB to save money and get a little exercise
Dont have a constant source of wood.
Have to scrounge it.

46 years old. I have been a maintenance manager for 25 years and going strong. I burn an OWB to save money and because I was brought up all my life burning wood. IT'S THE WAY OF LIFE.

I like this thread....because of my job I don't think people see this side of me.

I'm 27 years old. Live in Minnesota. We just built a cabin that we're living in year round on our lake lot that we've owned for a few years now. I was excited to get an OWB as my primary heat source. So was the wife now that she can finally be warm in the winter. By word of mouth we find most of our wood from fallen trees. It helps that I have a father that's a rural mail carrier to find some for me. I have a good buddy that works for the city cutting down trees so I get some wood there as well.

I'm a CPA, and I'm a Controller for a rural hospital (I'm a bean counter!). Yes...I wear ties and suits to work. But I come home at the end of the day and put on my flanel jacket to cut, split, stack, and burn wood like the rest of you. I enjoy being outside whenever I can, and cutting wood is a hobby for me. I'm lucky enought that we can reap the reward of warmth from it. Also lucky enough to have a wonderful wife that enjoys cutting & splitting with me!

Last edited:
28 and live in a rural area of SW Michigan. Currently working at an off road fabrication shop with the two owners and am heading towards becoming a co-owner in the next few years. I have always loved campfires, bon fires, and chainsaws, so when we moved to MI we looked for a house we could heat with wood. The cost savings over propane is huge and I get to have fires every single day! What could be better!

Well, that and I just love being out in the woods and the exercise can't be scoffed at :clap:

I too enjoy the thousands of dollars I get to avoid paying out by heating with wood.I also love the constant quality heat wood provides.

I am from Palisade Mn and am 48 years old.My full time job is here at Alpha American Co. makers of the Yukon / Eagle wood and multifuel furnaces. I have been with the company for 13 years.
Prior to working here I was in Mpls.,but after many years of residing there the calling to come back home to become a guide for fishing was loud and clear.
I tie my own line of quality hair jigs.I also own a fishing forum www.ckoutdoors.com plus I also write for 2 outdoor columns.

Working at Yukon pays the bills ,but my true passion is to be on the lakes everyday. Teaching others about conservation and sharing the great outdoors with others is a great motovator to live life to the fullest.
MuleFest10earlyice041.jpg

Pushing 40, lived in Vermont my whole life, Dad burns wood and I grew up with a maul and a chainsaw in my hands, no stranger to work. I am a professional civil engineer and a partner in an engineering & surveying consulting business. Have also worked in construction as a framing carpenter and laborer, pizza and short order cook, bartender and retail store whipping boy. I have five kids and when they aren't demanding 99% of my time, my wife gets the rest. On the extremely infrequent days I have to myself, I like woodworking, running my sawmill, shooting pool and reading sci-fi books. Also a volunteer firefighter, Scoutmaster and member of the local Rotary club.

Hi, I am 40 and am president and co-owner of a company that builds custom electrical control panels for machinery ie. crushing, mining, aggregate, pulp and paper, material handling, food processing. Pretty much any machinery with electrical controls. I have been heating with wood for a few years now and thoroughly enjoy it. I also enjoy all the outdoor sports and am a private pilot.

59, Mechanical Engineer- got downsized , then 14 years as a service manager electro/mechanical equipment-burned out from upper management, sales,& service personnel politics, so quit and started my own little machine shop. Chased the American dream,raised a family & got a knife in the back courtesy of ex., so no retirement for me. I keep the stoves fired up with all scrounged wood, no gym fees, and it lets me my thumb my nose at the power company during the cold months anyway.

Hi! I am 45 years old.

I am laid off, after working for a company for 21 years. I was a press operator. My job was to set up a large press that makes corrugated boxes.

I am currently going to school through a back to work program set up through the state. I am going for CNC machining. Probably not a good choice but we only had a few options.

About five years ago, I got an old wood burner that was in the basement of our home workable. It sat there for many years, unused.

It did help heat our home but didn't do as well on really cold days. It did help us save on heating oil though.

I always worried about a house fire and didn't like bringing wood into the basement along with all the bugs and mess.

In October 2008 we got an OWB.

The home has never been warmer.

44 years old and work as a Repairman for DTE Energy for 20 years. I live out in the country on 60 acres and have had my OWB for 1 year now. I sure am glad to get rid of the propane bill. I am also into Hunting & Fishing & working out and I am in the best shape of my life thanks to P90X & Insanity workout programs.

Last edited:
45 (almost 46) years old. Live in the burbs of Detroit and work from home for a Telecom company as a Procurement Manager.

I do not heat with wood, but enjoy a fire at least twice per week during the colder months and outdoor fires during the MI spring and fall. I got tired of buying small lots of wood from the local stands or farmers markets and came accross a CL ad offering free fire wood if you cut and remove. I borrowed my neighbors Wild Thing and went at it. Since then I have purchased and rebuilt quite a few saws and have been cutting and splitting my own wood for 5 years.

The next logical step is to turn the ambiance of the fire into a usable heat source. Starting the research and budgeting now and glad to know AS will be an indispensible resource.

:cheers:

I'll be 32 next month. I have a wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs. I own an electrical contracting company. I joined here to get some chainsaw info, then someone sneezed on me and I got CAD.

49 and mostly retired.Relocated to Kansas from MN 3 years ago to follow my wife's career.I started heating with wood when financial circumstances caused the oil-man to stop coming.I do it now because I like it and it gives me purpose.We bought a hobby-ranch that provides for firewood and hunting and fishing, and I am slowly bringing it back to working-ranch status. I suffer, mightily at times, from CAD,TAD,PWAD and WAD,none of which are helped by my visits to AS.

47 years young,
Dad owned and operated a repair garage for 52 years so as an infant, I was given a 1/2" combination wrench instead of a rattle! I have 25 years working in an equipment repair facility for the state with the last 18 as supervision. If it runs on gas, diesel, propane, CNG, DC power,......chain saws to earth movers....we fix it.
Grew up cutting, splitting, and hauling wood downstairs for Pop. We burned in a fireplace for additional heat growing up.
The wife and I love the outdoors. Gathering, cutting, splitting and feeding the OWB is.....fun. This is our first year with it, but should have done it years ago. Propane was getting upwards of $1K a month in the winter.
Of all my outdoor hobbies I love riding/racing my Husqvarna offroad the best..........no not a saw, the "other" Husky:D

29 almost 30 in a month. Working as a land surveyor and will be taking and finishing my last class to get my bachelor's degree this spring (so I am take my first of 2 licensing tests). Been cutting and burning wood since I can remember, ran a small firewood business with my brother when we were in high school. Wife, dog and no kids so far.

Hi: I am 68 and have been retired since 2003. I was in the Navy 4-years and my first job after the service lasted until 1982 - 19 years. Second and only other job was working for the county as a bookkeeper until 2003.

I have to scrounge for wood too like some others but I enjoy cutting , splitting and of course burning wood in my stove. I have one in the house and another in my shop building.

Today is typical Oklahoma weather it is cloudy and almost 60 degrees, tomorrow is supposed to be much colder with a chance of snow.

Happy cutting and burning.
Nosmo

I'm 27, a residential builder, self employed. Been doing it for 10 yrs now and recently started my small business. I grew up on a family dairy farm and we still have the land so that is where my wood comes from, I don't burn yet but I cut for the in laws, we have our house for sale and are waiting to purchase a little spot for my needs and desires!
Married with a 3 yr old boy.

I've really enjoyed my time here so far and learned a lot! Best wishes to you and yours!!:cheers::cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back