who are we???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work at the County Highway shop as a mechanic/welder. Also fix saws and small outdoor power equipment on the side , along with driving truck and some automotive repair. Also ride cycle any time I am not working and the weather allows. I have one son and six daughters, and six grandchildren.

I have an OWB to heat the shop and house. I get to cut wood with 2 of my brothers to feed all our heating needs.
The wife likes the house at 72(I like it cause she wears less clothes that way) and I like the shop at 65. I figure it would cost a small fortune to heat it all winter and I like being out in the woods anyway.

I'm 64 and workedin/owned service stations for 15 years, worked as a mechanic, taught brakes and alignment for 32 years, and did heavy construction (tractor work) for 20 years during the summer. The cabin that I bought in 1968 had wood for heat and cooking, and my current house has been heated with wood since 1980. I installed a gas furnance about 5 years ago and the wife didn't like it. I need to run a saw today to work off some of my Christmas dinner. I do photography, and competition BBQ.

Mike,42 married 20 years 1 girl 15.5 and 1 boy 12.5.I'm a maintenance man for a machine shop.
Growing up we used a wood burner to help heat the house.My mom bought me a new maul every year for Christmas.

On our 4th season with the OWB and have only bought propane once since.

my name is gary 57, married for 36 years to the same woman no kids, have 20 ac. raise hay for my (2) horses and some to sale, full time job is with a steel mill we make chanel's,angle, flats,of different sizes. but no I beam's, i work in the shipping dept. now, have ben all parts of the mill .don't burn wood now but have plenty after last jan.ice storm. hobbies are horse rideing, camping,

I am an Engineer that works in Sales. I am 48yo and am in a different manufacturing facility most every day and work on saws in my spare time at home.

I've been married for 21 yrs and have a 20yo daughter. Our wedding anniversary and her birthday are 3 days apart (married 362 days when daughter was born).

I live on 7 acres and am in negotation for 60 more several miles from here. I use saws to cut firewood for myself and my parents. I enjoy running saws and can use the exercise.

Right now I've got a couple of tree companies that I service and repair their saws for them. I also find saws in need of repair and turn a bunch of them over to help pay for my addiction. I'm sorta weird I guess because I'd rather work on a saw instead of watching TV (except for my Hogs Football)

Jary, 37 years old married 10 years 2 step daughters and one grand daughter this past July.I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for 8 years and now I work for the county park dept as a park manager, great job plenty of time in the woods.We have been heating with wood for 5 years now with a BIS Ultra.In the summer months my wife and I enjoy getting on the bikes and wearing out the roads.Other time is spent tinkering in the shop with a cold one not to far away.

I'm 44 work on a cattle farm, so there is plenty of wood from fallen trees. I have been burning wood for last 10 years. I do it because it saves me money and I like wood heat. Warm floors cant be beat. Problem I have is cutting the wood before I need it. I seem to always cut it during the winter when I am out of it.

51 going on 15, self employed well driller but about fed up with the gov regs and tax crap(topic for another forum) like all have a "beautiful wife" and two adult sons. Burn wood only, on land here in New Hampshirachusetts that has been in the family for 70+ years.

38 and work for the largest airline in the world. Been stationed all over the US, Panama and even got to see a very large desert!!
Growing up in Montana and Washington, we always had firewood. Living in Montana the whole family would go out and cut, split and load firewood until all the vehicles/trailers were full. This happened at least three times a year. All just memories now.
Live in Washington again, bought a home and it only had forced electric heat, though relativly cheep here due to all the dams, I could not afford keep it warm enough(75*+) for my wife who is from the south. Before we even got the boxes emptied the fireplace was in the livingroom. Been burning for 5 years now and will only stop if I can't lift an axe or carry an armload of wood into the house.

I'm 37yrs old. Worked in a Ford dealership right out of highschool for 9mo. Then hired on as a machine operator in a printing plant which I'm still employed at (almost 19yrs). I grew up with a wood stove in our house so it seemed natural for me to put one in my house, so 4yrs ago I bought a 20 acre farm, put in an Ashley wood furnace that I paid $100 bucks for from an old man & have'nt looked back. When I was a kid I'd to go to the timber with my dad & two uncles to cut wood. Ofcourse when you're about 6yrs old the last thing you want to do is pile brush behind three saws running but thats what I did back then & I'd pester my dad to let me run a saw so he finally gave in when I was 8. Got my own saw at about 11yrs old a homelite 150 (I think it was). Now days I have my own splitter, 5 Stihl chainsaws & a 1980 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 wood hauler with 6'' of lift I can comfortably haul 3 ricks on if I carefully stack it in the bed. My friends think I'm crazy for having my gas turned off when I bought my farm but I don't think so. Excuse me, I got chains to sharpen. Saw on>>>>>:chainsaw:

For me, I am 49 and work for a pharmaceutical company. I burn wood to save money, but mostly because I love cutting, splitting, stacking and using my two wood burning stoves. My wife also enjoys stacking and stoking the stoves. It is great physical exercise and stress relief. The problem I have is a steady supply of wood. I burn about 5 cords a year, so keeping the supply from my two acres is difficult. Any ideas where to find wood in southwest CT wood be appreciated. I have a trailer, so I can travel, within reason. I live in Southbury, CT.

Bottom line, I just love the process. i wish I could make a living do it.

Just turned 43 today, and I have no idea what hat I wear.We own an online craft store which keeps me busy, do a few tree jobs a month, and do the odd engine repair jobs that show up at the shop for fill in.For a guy that has no specific job on any given day, it seems like I never have a day off.Cant remember the last time I went fishing.2001 if I recall correctly.

IM 44, an Architect that in 2008 closed my small practice and along with my staff became a northern branch for a larger K-12 Architecture Construction Managment Firm, our current 37 M project has us placing concrete all winter here in the northern provinces.

My wife and one offspring have been burning wood for close to 10 years with 4-5 of those at 100% wood heat with an OWB. OWB paid for itself two years ago. I enjoy cutting wood and spending time managing my small maple forest immensely. I built a passive solar stone house using a slipform system, the walls are 30 inches thick at the base and 22 at the top..and include 8-16 of ridgid insulation in the middle. its a fun house with minimal mortgage, although there is a lot I would do different! Website for mag article our house was in is here: http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/Homes/2004-05-01/Sheltering-Stone.aspx

This is quite the group with independent strong willed, free thinkin, hard working americans! sounds good!

I’m 36 and co-owner of an occupational health company serving the transportation industry for the last 19 years. I live on a 12 acre lot in northwest NJ with my killer wife of 5 years (together for 10), 3 dogs and 4 horses. We’re surrounded by +200 acres of preserved woodland. This is my first season heating the house exclusively with wood; however I’ve always had a love affair with chainsaws, log splitters and wood stoves. I also have love affairs with ATVs, my Kubota M59, mountain bikes, guns of all kinds, computers, stereos, dogs, beer, construction equipment, mixed martial arts, tools, and just about anything else I find interesting (obviously everything).

Although I don’t post much, I’m on arborstsite.com everyday and secretly dream of being a tree man!

-Mark

Although I don’t post much, I’m on arborstsite.com everyday and secretly dream of being a tree man!

-Mark

Thanks Mark, I love to hear that, makes me feel great.:cheers: Me? Just a dirty hack-utility treeman. Just trying to survive. Looked down on by many, only appreciated in storm work.

Thanks Mark, I love to hear that, makes me feel great.:cheers: Me? Just a dirty hack-utility treeman. Just trying to survive. Looked down on by many, only appreciated in storm work.

Brawhahahahahahahh Clearance them spurs are affecting your judgment:laugh: Many of us cut our teeth on three phaze power:monkey:

Latest posts

Back