Who cuts alone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawn_penn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After the runaway success of "Who starts their saws with the chainbrake off?" I thought I'd ask some more "who breaks this rule?" questions.

Who cuts alone? I certainly do. When we did tree vs house jobs, there were always extra people to move cut limbs, but now that I just cut things for myself there is never anyone else around.

Who cuts alone? Who doesn't?

It's a rule?

I do... after a a lot of sawing, a big THWUMPFFF and then silence, my wife has occasionally sneaked out to the woods to see if I'm o.k. She figures if the saw is running, what can be wrong! :laugh:

I mostly cut alone but most of the stuff I cut is already dead and down, excpet i just got permission to cut a 1/4 mile of dead elm along my neighbors fence line.

Mostly alone when in the wood, but some times my wife and the dog are with me at a safe distance.
Otherwise we keep in touch by cellphone.

I always try to have some one with me, just in case I need emergency help. :dizzy: And on those rare times I do cut alone, I always take two saws, again, just in case I get one stuck in a bind. :bang:

I sometimes cut alone (only when no felling is invloved) but when dropping trees I always have someone there incase something goes wrong

West Texas said:
I always try to have some one with me, just in case I need emergency help. :dizzy: And on those rare times I do cut alone, I always take two saws, again, just in case I get one stuck in a bind. :bang:

sometimes you need a third I have got two saws stuck in a log once (my 036 and an MS440(belonged to a training centre I was studying at) and ended up using a poulan to get them out)

ross_scott said:
sometimes you need a third I have got two saws stuck in a log once (my 036 and an MS440(belonged to a training centre I was studying at) and ended up using a poulan to get them out)
West Texas said:
.... And on those rare times I do cut alone, I always take two saws, again, just in case I get one stuck in a bind. :bang:
If your saw has outboard sprocket, you can usually free the powerhead from the stuck bar and chain, and put on another bar and chain to cut the stuck set free.
The chance of ruining something is also smaller that way, but I agree on bringing two saws anyway. You never know....

hello,
Before my partner and I started together we both worked alone. I fell timber and skidded it myself and so did he. Truthfully I prefer it. I have hired alot of people that were way more dangerous in the woods than a falling tree. You need to be able to depend on someone, and if you can't figure out what the hell they are doing, then they are more of a hazard than a help. I got clipped with a tree top once and it was a new skidder man that helped the situation because he wasn't watching for and my signals as to where to go to pick up a trip.
mike

Cutting rules

With the USFS, at least locally, we are not allowed to cut alone.
Exception, we're driving down a road solo, tree across the road, we call in and inform with location, call back when done.
It is a hassle, but might pay off some day.

95% of what i cut is already dead and down. i am just going through cleaning up the remains of someone topping trees for selecting lumber.

so, yes, i cut alone. but i always have an extra bar and chain incase i get hung up

If I did not cut alone, who would do the work?

I cut alone and with help.

I suppose it depends on the 'help' unless it's somebody who knows whats going on or that you work with all the time they can become more of a liabilty than anything. I have a couple friends and my Dad that I can cut with, we have a good system down and everybody knows where to be. I don't think I'd cut with anyone else.

I like being in the woods by myself too. There's a peacefull quality to it that I can't put very well.

That said, I'm sure attitudes vary greatly from me cutting a few cords of firewood a year to the guys that do this day in and day out for work.

I don't really like to, but in some instances I have, and will again cut alone. Small homeowner yardwork stuff only. Yeah, yeah, yeah, one job can hurt or kill you just as easily as the next, and sometimes the "small job" is more dangerous due to operator complacency blah blah blah - I fully agree. BUT, small saw, small job, full risk awareness - I have no problem just doing it. Bigger jobs where my (arguably) big saw is working longer/harder and the material is bigger and/or otherwise challenging, I have help or at least a 911-caller with me.

I mean "Heck no! Helpers are for wussies!!";)

bump_r said:
I don't really like to, but in some instances I have, and will again cut alone. Small homeowner yardwork stuff only. Yeah, yeah, yeah, one job can hurt or kill you just as easily as the next, and sometimes the "small job" is more dangerous due to operator complacency blah blah blah - I fully agree. BUT, small saw, small job, full risk awareness - I have no problem just doing it. Bigger jobs where my (arguably) big saw is working longer/harder and the material is bigger and/or otherwise challenging, I have help or at least a 911-caller with me.

I mean "Heck no! Helpers are for wussies!!";)

Not to be off topic but thats a cool looking Kaiser bump_r. Is it yours?

Thanks, and yes it is. Stock 'cept for tires, Detroit in the back, and a few other smalller upgrades. Still running the 230 cid OHV Tornado w/ 1 bbl Holley. Neat ole woodlot truck, I tell ya.

I used to cut alone, but now, my two boys(9 & 7) come out to the woods with me(they are great for clearing branches!). I cut downed wood and do some felling, but I make the boys sit in the pickup(a VERY safe distance away) when I cut. They know how to use my cell if something would ever happen. I used to bring 2 saws and now I am up to 3.

Back