Who cuts alone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local rancher had a 'blow down' on a fence near one of his corrals. Asked us to cut it up, etc. so he could repair the fence. It was one of those fences that goes across a creek, where the tree fell, about three strands of barbed wire across the top. Three of us went over to do the job. We had it pretty well trimmed out to one trunk piece over the top of the depressed barbed wire. I was on the inside of the fence and cut the trunk; that barbed wire sprung back up and sent that upper part of the trunk flying just over the head of the other two guys. It was a near miss for sure.:dizzy: :dizzy:

I cut alone some times. I used to log alone but now I have two guys working with me. I do prefer working alone though but to maintain the kind of production that I have become acustomed to I have to have a couple of guys around.:rolleyes:

I cut alone usually, but someone on the property can usually hear the saw. Cutting firewood in back yard, most always alone.

Gypo Logger said:
When working alone I often talk to myself to relieve the loneliness.
I even tell myself jokes. Some I laugh at, some I don't,especialy the ones I've told to myself before.:bang:
John

Gypo you sound like my buddy, he's schizophrenic, and when he gets togeather with his schizophrenic girlfriend, they have a group sex orgy.

Normally alone with multiple saw and for what its worth my cell phone. Just in case I get pinned under a log and can't move;)

Mostly alone. As the works are thinning of dense stands and clearing them from dead trees, there are continuous problems to get the overhanging trees down.

smoke chaser 2 ,your story reminds me ofan happening here,after hugo hit.
fella was cutting an leaner . when he got it cut the stump stood back up.
his little girl had climbed down in the hole nd was killed. fella took off into the woods that evening with his shotgun and shot hisself.the story made me think a lot about what id do in the same situation.

Anytime working alone grinding stumps, topping stumps, cutting trees, working under a car or whatever, I'll carry a cellphone (not too rural areas)
Just in case I need to make a quick 911 call. (If able)

Doug

I cut alone 75% of the time. I prefer it that way because you get more tuned in to what you are doing. I never go up a ladder without a ground man though, to much risk!

sawn_penn said:
After the runaway success of "Who starts their saws with the chainbrake off?" I thought I'd ask some more "who breaks this rule?" questions.

Who cuts alone? I certainly do. When we did tree vs house jobs, there were always extra people to move cut limbs, but now that I just cut things for myself there is never anyone else around.

Who cuts alone? Who doesn't?

I cut alone, yeah, all by myself. And when I cut alone, I prefer to be by myself...apologies to George Thorogood.

Sometimes. Lately, though, I've had a couple of other guys out with me. I have had trouble explaining to my wife that a cell phone is "one way" communication in the shop or the woods....I can't hear it ring with hearing protection over an opened up 066, router, or table saw.

Just me and my good buddy Wiser and we drink alone.... I have but its not good. I was bucking firewood across the highway from the house and had a airhorn can to signal my woman in case. But, if something really bad happened by the time she got there I could have bled out already. I was glad I was with a few guys spacing when I cut my arm open 11years ago. Gave them something to laugh and joke about on the ride to the hospital.

I have cut alone in my younger days, but I am not as agile or quick as I used to be. I cut my leg before chain breaks and been awfully close to being hammered by a widow maker more than once;;;;; and besides my wife won't let me cut alone.

clearance said:
Just me and my good buddy Wiser and we drink alone.... I have but its not good. I was bucking firewood across the highway from the house and had a airhorn can to signal my woman in case. But, if something really bad happened by the time she got there I could have bled out already. I was glad I was with a few guys spacing when I cut my arm open 11years ago. Gave them something to laugh and joke about on the ride to the hospital.

Booze and saws. This does not surprise me about you. Must be a western thing to make you believe that the firewood that you cut along with the pecker poles you told us about earlier are actually 200 ft Redwoods.

Arnie

Pride

There is a sence of pride in knowing that your all alone in the woods. That one bad slip up and you could be picking out your new harp!

All most all of my cutting is done alone, it seems that it sets it's own agenda. Playing safe should be the same if there is someone else around or not.
But the feeling of acomplishment seems more intence flying solo!

Kevin

Stihlatit. c'mon buddy ease up. I love that song and George T's other songs. Now I used to drink, maybe spilled more than some people have drank, but my last was in 1991. If people want to drink or use other drugs that is thier choice but best left for after work. There are no redwoods growing naturally in B.C., I'd have to be acid or some other hallicinogenic drug to get me thinking that. The firewood I was talking about was culls from an old logging show. I was out in TO/Oshawa in '87, some decent people there but the place itself.........Yeah, the west is awesome...M.Ali said "it ain't bragging if its true"

clearance said:
Stihlatit. c'mon buddy ease up. I love that song and George T's other songs. Now I used to drink, maybe spilled more than some people have drank, but my last was in 1991. If people want to drink or use other drugs that is thier choice but best left for after work. There are no redwoods growing naturally in B.C., I'd have to be acid or some other hallicinogenic drug to get me thinking that. The firewood I was talking about was culls from an old logging show. I was out in TO/Oshawa in '87, some decent people there but the place itself.........Yeah, the west is awesome...M.Ali said "it ain't bragging if its true"

You must be standing in the smoke. Your politics out west lately leaves a lot to be desired.

Arnie

I will never cut alone again. Paid the price once. I can afford to pay a groundie. My Brother in law is there to be abused. LOL. I never cut alone. I have in the past on a small job made it conditional for the owner to be there or they pay for a groundie. To many things can go wrong on this job.

Arnie

Back