WHO Fired there OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solar. Doh. You DO realize that wood heating is solar, just a few levels removed. The trees use sunlight to convert the CO2 in the air into carbon based materials that we then burn. The ultimate energy source for all wood burners is solar :)

But, you are right. Passive solar heating is a great idea.

gonna fire mine up next week here in ohier its gonna be 80 this weekend and then 50 at night averages out to about 70 73 in the house with out anything on i turn my air over every 45 mins in my house and it keeps it cozy this time of year. now all i need is to keep the wifes hands off the thermostat.

Solar. Doh. You DO realize that wood heating is solar, just a few levels removed. The trees use sunlight to convert the CO2 in the air into carbon based materials that we then burn. The ultimate energy source for all wood burners is solar :)

But, you are right. Passive solar heating is a great idea.

Yes, well ultimately, all the energy we transform for useful purposes can be traced back to the Big Bang, but it's kind of useless to say so when you're talking about the form of energy at its point of use. Energy utilized by us has taken lots of conversion steps but it only makes sense to refer to conversion being immediately done whether it's wood-chemcial, fossil fuel-chemical, solar-radiation, fission-nuclear, etc.

You may drive around in iron ore from Michigan, but I don't think you'd tell anyone that when they ask you what you drive.

We had a cold snap for the last week or so. There was one night I used LP. I'm glad I didn't fire the OWB because we are having pretty decent weather again for at least the next week. I sure thought about it though.

We had a cold snap for the last week or so. There was one night I used LP. I'm glad I didn't fire the OWB because we are having pretty decent weather again for at least the next week. I sure thought about it though.

I did the same. Now I'm struggling to decide when to fire it up. I like to get it going slowly over a day's time so as not to shock anything in the system by building a raging fire right away - that basically leaves weekends to tinker with it. With highs in the mid 70's this weekend I'll have a hard time wanting to start it. By the middle of the week it looks like we may need it though.

I don't know if you guys have the same experience with your OWB's, but when mine is running this time of year, just supplying DHW, it only needs to be loaded with 15-20 split pieces and that will last a few days. Mine has been running for a few weeks now and I've only burned about 1/6 to 1/8 of a cord. That may sound like a lot to the guys with stoves or fireplaces, but for an OWB I don't think that is too awful bad considering in the winter I can burn a full cord in just a few weeks.

Broke down and lit it yesterday, the ice on the windshields tells me it was a good move. 26 out there this morning....Brrrrrrrrrr!!!

Broke down and lit it yesterday, the ice on the windshields tells me it was a good move. 26 out there this morning....Brrrrrrrrrr!!!

That is a good move. We have frost here in CT this morning. I'm itching big time! I think I'm gnna fire her up this weekend unless the boss tells me otherwise. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, record warmth the past few days has caused me to let the 6048 burn out this past Tuesday!. It was near 90 over in Rockford yesterday. Now I don't mind a little Indian summer but that's damned ridiculous!! Just reminds me how much I hate the heat of summer. It's not all bad though all I really need to do is look around at all the beautiful fall colors and it brings me right back! The shagbark hickories are in full display these days in northern Illinois, I think they are my favorite! Looks like it will be about another week before I start loaded the OWB again!

Latest posts

Back