WHO Fired there OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooddog 066

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here in pa this weekend is gonna dip to low 40's but 60s for a high dont know weather to fire up the furnace yet or tough it out but definately dont wanna fire the oilfurnace H....NO!! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS THINKIN?

I would be running mine however when we installed it last January the pipe could not be trenched in or the pad poured, I now have the pad done and the pipe burried just need to have the stove lifted onto its new pad and finish the renos in the furnace room. If I dont have it done soon I think I could be in the dog house.

It looks like we will start ours later this week.May need it for some heat in the mornings, and it will be nice to have free hot water again.

WELL i just dont want it to get too HOT in the house but it will just go to idle i have been itchin plus you guys dont know that this is my first outside furnace soo i am really ITCHIN!:blob2:

we been keeping a small fire during the day and firing it up good at night,,we have about the same temps here,,,plus my wife is sick other wise we would just put sweats on and solar heat through the windows during the day

I started mine last week. But I use it for a firewood kiln. I don't heat my house with wood. Natural gas for me. The house doesn't have a good place to put a wood furnace. My neighbors are to close for an outdoor wood burner.

Scott

fired up mine 2 weeks ago. House was getting damp. then one day last week it was so hot I had the ac going. gotta love pa weather.

Mines been running for over a year now. Breaker for hot water heater is off. Works great . Load it every 3 to 4 days with junk pine . Smokes when it first starts then almost none for a couple of days.

I started ours last week. It was damp in the house; the floors in the garage was wet and I wanted to make sure everything was set to go. I burned a bunch of dead branches that fell in the yard from the last couple of storms. The temp gets down to the low 40's at night so I put in a few limbs to keep the stove going. Plus! I like the idea of all that free hot water.

I might have to let the fire go out for the next couple of days but at least I know everything is working right and I won't be out there fooling around when it does get cold out there when I could be up hunting. :biggrinbounce2:

I was thinking I would fire mine up Friday after work, saying we may have frost this weekend with highs only in the 5
0's. Seems like it was about this time last year too.

fired up mine 2 weeks ago. House was getting damp. then one day last week it was so hot I had the ac going. gotta love pa weather.

I'm in the same boat. It was cool a few nights a week or two ago, and then got warm. With all the rain, I closed the windows this evening and kicked the AC on just to reduce the almost 80% humidity I had in the house down to a reasonable level.

Just wondering why most dont run theirs all year for the hot water ? Junk wood is everywhere.

Fired mine up on Saturday with some dead limbs that had fallen during the summer, will probably fire it every 3 or 4 days for hot water until we need heat.

I'm heading into my 6th winter of burning and providing DHW through the summer too. Big chunks of soft wood seem to work best in the summer. I think a single book of matches would last a decade. I think summer burning will be illegal here soon, I'm a little curious how the new laws will be enforced.

yeah looks like if the temp drops i will give it a test fire and see how it does i wanna make sure everthing is good for the winter but i dont know about firing up my radiant floor heat!!!JUST YET

Wife was complaining sunday night she was cold and temps are not going to rise much this week, so I touched my OWB off with some good old fence row elm. Lots of 4-8 inch dead standing around. Had a few come down on the fences in the wind last week. Had to get that picked up right away before we had cows running loose. So now its in the back of the wood hauler Dodge and parked next to the OWB. I have to admit I was ready to fire up the Efco and do some sawin. So now its back to the old routine of loading the stove everyday and I love it.:D

Back